Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know what could be made by reaming out the chamber from 30 Herrett (.415) to .465?

A while back I wanted another Contender, frame mostly for a project. Found a complete pistol with a Super 14 - 30 Herrett barrel. I've finally decided to try 30 Herrett, got some dies, 30-30 brass and was ready to go. Pulled the barrel out to test fit brass and it just rattles around.

· Registered
12,872 Posts
Well you have to fire form it first. However if you are concerned have the chamber cast and make sure it wasn’t tampered with. Compare your brass to this formed and reloaded case. The shoulder is probably not formed fully yet. Also you may have bumped shoulder back too much. Just back off the sizing die 1/8” or so from touching shell holder and form brass long then bump shoulder back in small increments until it finally fits in your chamber. Then compare to your fire formed brass and adjust to bump shoulder 0.002” less than the fire formed brass. Then lock it down and you are set.
Lipstick Ammunition Bullet Cosmetics Writing implement

· Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I understand the need to fire form the brass. Not an issue there, but I don't believe there should be a .060 difference in the mouth of the chamber ID and the case OD.
In doing some other searches, I'm starting to think it's been reamed to 309 JDJ. I'll cast the chamber tomorrow to check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts