Team Magnolia - Carbine Match - Saturday, July 16

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting/Area Shoots' started by 9d up, Jun 29, 2016.

1. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    I am going ahead and posting this because I'm hoping that people will put it on their calendars now and plan to attend.
    [​IMG]
    Team Magnolia Multigun - Carbine Match
    Saturday, July 16

No belt rigs or holsters! No reloads! Untucked shirts!
    We know it’s hot this time of year so we are having a little more laid-back kinda match.
    No stage is over 30 rounds. So no reloads if you’re using a regular AR mag.

Since it’s rifle only we will only use paper targets. So setup, teardown, and reset will be easy.

We will have 4 divisions. Feel free to sign up for as many divisions as you want.
    1. Rimfire
    2. PCC
    3. Standard Rifle
    4. Heavy (7.62x39 minimum, only 1 hit per paper required to neutralize)
    Setup: 6:30 A.M. Please be punctual. The quicker we start, the quicker we get finished.
    Registration/Check-In closes promptly at 8:30 A.M. Late arrivals will be turned away.
    Hammer down: 9:00 A.M.

Cost:
    Team Magnolia and juniors: $15
    Non-members: $25
    You can sign up for Team Magnolia at the match for a $30 yearly membership.​

Register here.
    Please see the facebook group or the facebook page for more information.
    Scores posted to Practiscore and MSGO.

Stage 1 - B-2 Bombing
    Designer - Jason
    15 Paper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stage Make Ready
    Standing on X’s, facing downrange, rifle loaded, on safe, at port arms.
    Stage Procedure
    Engage targets from within the fault lines.

Stage 2 - Where You Hiding?
    Designer - Clayton
    15 Paper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stage Make Ready
    Stage Procedure

Stage 3 - Burn Em Down
    Designer - Biloxi
    14 Paper

[​IMG]
    Stage Make Ready
    Stage Procedure

Stage 4 - Both Shoulders
    Designer - Clayton
    15 Paper

[​IMG]
    Stage Make Ready
    Standing on either X’s, facing downrange, rifle loaded, on safe, at port arms.
    Stage Procedure
    Engage targets from within the fault lines.​

Southshorerob, Golfer and kms254 like this.
  2. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Never done something like this before; how many rounds required on each target?

Southshorerob and 9d up like this.

3. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    Well, we are using standard 3Gun Nation rules for the most part. This means you "neutralize" targets.

You can neutralize a target in two ways:
    1. Two hits ANYWHERE on paper
    2. One hit in the Torso/center mass A Zone “alpha” or one hit in the head (A and B zones)
    (These hits must break the perforation of course)
    This scoring system rewards accuracy if you know you got an Alpha. If not, you better shoot 2 that you can call on paper, which takes more time. You see the compromise between speed and accuracy, which is the definition of practical shooting.

The other element of practical shooting is POWER. That is why if you are shooting in the "Heavy" division, you are required only 1 hit ANYWHERE on the target inside the perforation.

I intend to one day have a garand match, where all of the arrays would be 8-shot neutral. But I doubt I'd get the participation necessary for that. So this "Heavy" division allows any large 30cal round. This is to include AK-47's, AR-10's, M1's, M1A's, and the like, but to distinguish from 30 carbine, which would belong more in the Standard Rifle division with AR's.

here is a target in case you aren't familiar with them:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  4. DevilDog

DevilDog Distinguished Poster

This looks fun. Same time as another match on Range 4, otherwise I would be in.

Southshorerob, stewbaby and 9d up like this.
  5. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Clayton there are enough Hard core M1 Garand fanatics who shoot at Byram who would definitely make your numbers for a match! Ask Johnny Morgan if you don't believe me. I would be all-in for that, especially if you come up with a mandatory reload, that is a skill that we use in rapid fire that would be great in a more "combat" oriented match. Sounds like great fun.

9d up likes this.
  6. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

I might skip the vintage just to humiliate myself on this one. I do go out on the farm much more often with the M4gery than with the Swede.

Southshorerob and 9d up like this.
  7. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    We will be doing the same thing on the third Sunday in August, with some more all new custom stages.

8. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    And I certainly believe there are plenty of yall that would participate in a match like that. I will design our October 3Gun match to be 8-Shot neutral.

This way I can include what I call a "World War II" division. That means a Garand, a 1911, and a pump shotgun. I will definitely shoot the division during that match if ANY of you Hi-Power guys do too

9. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    I promise that your embarrassment at this match will be less than my embarrassment at my trigger jerking sessions you guys like to call Hi-Power matches

10. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

I'm putting that on the calendar now, that will be fun. I still wouldn't exclude a reload, would make things interesting. I mean we reload in HP, and in action pistol there are reloads, why not with the Garand. If nothing else it will show who has learned to avoid "M1 thumb".;)

9d up likes this.
  11. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    Exactly. We will have multiple arrays in this match. They will just all be 8 shots at a time so you reload on the move unless you want/have to make up missed shots. This will be a much bigger concern for 1911 and a shotgun than a Garand though, because you know when you miss a piece of steel but you don't always know when you miss a paper target. And, in general you're more likely to miss with the pistol or shotgun anyway.

Believe me, participants in the WW2 division will be doing a lot of reloading on the clock. Bet on at least one reload for each gun each stage...

People shooting 40 round AR mags and 20 round pistol mags of course won't reload as often as WW2 shooters will, but that's why we have multiple divisions.

Golfer likes this.
  12. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    I said October earlier, but we are actually having an ICORE match that month on Multigun's day.

That means that the 3Gun match that includes the WW2 division will be November 20

13. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

We have the state match on the 5th, so I should be good to go on the 20th...M1 or Ljungman in tow

9d up likes this.
  14. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Stew use the Ljungman, that way I'll have a better chance with my M1.

stewbaby and 9d up like this.
  15. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    I guarantee you that with the short available distances we have on the bays for our 3Gun matches, our 3Gun competitions are not won or lost with rifles.

It comes down to hitting steel with pistols and being quick with reloads on the shotgun

16. blkout

blkout Distinguished Poster

What division would 300 blackout fall in Standard rifle or Heavy? It is a 30 caliber but it is 7.62x35 vs. 7.62x39 like the AK-47.

9d up likes this.
  17. Golfer

Golfer Distinguished Poster

This looks like fun - count me in

9d up likes this.
  18. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    Excellent question.

Originally, I had heavy as any 30 caliber. But I changed the minimum to 7.62x39.

This was intentionally done for 30 Carbine and 300blk. They are much closer to an AR than what I would consider a "big destructive bullet" which is the purpose of a "HEAVY" division. The HEAVIES having the ability to neutralize with one shot anywhere.

We can argue that ballistics of 300blk comes close to 7.62x39, which they do. But for this match, a 300blk is an AR and an AK-47 is heavy.

The line just had to be drawn somewhere.

If you come out with an AR-15 shooting 7.62x39, then you get the benefit of heavy division's single hit neutralization.

19. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    Sweet I'm going to try to make this one.

9d up likes this.
  20. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    I beg all who plan to attend preregister. It makes it a lot easier on match staff and you can elect to squad with your buddies.

Plus, don't forget that you can shoot more than once. I'm shooting twice for instance. AR and AK.

And, just like all matches, I encourage the sharing of firearms if that will increase participation. So anybody is welcome to use mine.

This also gives you a chance not only to shoot more divisions, but you can also try different equipment.

Us 3Gunners are all about sharing stuff if that means we get new friends to come shoot with us.
    If you have to put your gun down on a rack, there's no reason why somebody can't pick it up and use it too. Sharing is caring.

kms254 and Golfer like this.