Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looking at the FAL online a bit lately, what little information that I can find on it, and price depending, i'd be interesting in getting one. But I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them? or any advice on brands, and such. My brother said he saw one in Great Southern a week or so ago, so when i get home from Southern for the summer I might go have a look then.

i'm thinking the FAL because I've been wanting an "assault rifle"(sounds evil i know), but i'm not really sure the ARs or even the AKs are for me, I've always been one to want something a bit different than the norm, but I can't find out much about them. I'd most likely buy new, if at all possible. I've found DSarms, but i'm not familiar with them, and the price on all models is a bit steep, so if all FALs are that insanely priced then I can go ahead and answer my own question and say that this rifle isnt for me. I'm willing to spend the extra money for a quality rifle, but i'm not a MD either, so I can't pay ridiculous amounts of money for a gun.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,995 Posts
There's one for sale in the firearms section. Contact Mr. Clean

been black-ted and looks good to.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Shot my first one several weeks back -- owned by SubGunFan -- I was more than impressed!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to look at a couple beat up used ones at the hattie gun show a couple weeks back, and aside from not being the prettiest conditionwise they felt well made, and just felt good to me. But judging by the prices i've been finding on them i might have to hold off for a while. still would love to hear all advice and opinions on them though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
jakeg823 said:
I was able to look at a couple beat up used ones at the hattie gun show a couple weeks back, and aside from not being the prettiest conditionwise they felt well made, and just felt good to me. But judging by the prices i've been finding on them i might have to hold off for a while. still would love to hear all advice and opinions on them though
FAL (Fusil Automatique Legere) Pardon my French! :lol4: I love mine. Mine started out as Century Franken FAL. It got Blowed up by some Wolf 308 ammo(another story). It now wears a DSA Reciever. Mine shoots nicely with good ammo it will do inch and half and maybe a little better. I don't believe they are even in the So Called assault rifle catagory as they fire a full size cartridge instead of an intemediate cartridge. Of course Assault Rifle is a misnomer anyway as it and other rifles of the genre don't fire full auto anyway. It would be uncontrollable if it did (Unless you're the Hulk).
Brands that I would recamend Imbel if you can find one would probably be the most reasonably priced. They are made in Brazil I believe, and were made under license from Fabrique National (the original makers of the FAL). DSA would be next in the price catagory, and in my opinion they make the best ones. You can get a bare bones one for the price of a good AR last time I checked. Next would be an FN FAL, but you won't touch one of those for under three grand or more in todays market.
They were in direct competition and battle with the AK during the cold war. It's always been one of my favorites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
I can tell you that DSarms is currently on month 14 in delivery of a rifle (stg58) for my buddy, after telling him three months ago that it would be ready in a week.

If business is that good perhaps they should hire some more people and let Obama know about the job increase.

They are either selling guns faster than they can produce them - slowly produce them - or they are hyping a shortage to keep prices high. I have seen new FALs for sale at gun show recently.

Doesn't matter to me, I shoot springfields :tophat:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,622 Posts
I saw a new FN (I think) on the outdoor channel a week or so ago, anybody else see that. Looked like the older ones only with a sleek, swept design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Methos said:
I can tell you that DSarms is currently on month 14 in delivery of a rifle (stg58) for my buddy, after telling him three months ago that it would be ready in a week.

If business is that good perhaps they should hire some more people and let Obama know about the job increase.

They are either selling guns faster than they can produce them - slowly produce them - or they are hyping a shortage to keep prices high. I have seen new FALs for sale at gun show recently.

Doesn't matter to me, I shoot springfields :tophat:
It took them a year and half to get my reciever to me. I waited on list to get rifle for over a year. That was about 6 or 7 years ago. Demand is high! I think that they should add some more production capacity though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swede62 said:
Methos said:
I can tell you that DSarms is currently on month 14 in delivery of a rifle (stg58) for my buddy, after telling him three months ago that it would be ready in a week.

If business is that good perhaps they should hire some more people and let Obama know about the job increase.

They are either selling guns faster than they can produce them - slowly produce them - or they are hyping a shortage to keep prices high. I have seen new FALs for sale at gun show recently.

Doesn't matter to me, I shoot springfields :tophat:
It took them a year and half to get my reciever to me. I waited on list to get rifle for over a year. That was about 6 or 7 years ago. Demand is high! I think that they should add some more production capacity though.
i highly doubt i'll be willing to wait for that length of time. plus since i'm home for the summer and hopefully able to save some of my money i'll be able to apply for my permit, along with a few other knickknacks i've been waiting for, most of which are motorcycle parts, and the other was a Milt Sparks VM2 for my Compact CDP, which i picked up saturday at the gunshow, only like $5 more than what it would cost from milt sparks, and without the 7month wait, so I said deal, this way whenever I do become legal i wont have to wait on a decent holster. so with all of this a rifle as expensive as an FAL will definitely get pushed off to the backburner for the time being unfortunately
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,831 Posts
my son has one, with almost all the origional accessories. he loves it, you'd faint if you knew what he paid for it 10 years ago. good shooting rifle.
if you are interested in purchasing one, do your home work and get to know someone who has one and shoots it. there all brands out there and some arnt worth a crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
The FAL is not an assault rifle. It is a main battle rifle and it really shines out past 300 meters. The adjustable gas system allows you to tailor the rifle for almost any ammo. It is NOT a sub MOA rifle but it will get the job done. I have several, read more than I need, and it will be my goto weapon if the S ever hits the fan. It is gentle on brass, unlike HKs and has seen service on every continent. Alas, the days of 200.00 receivers and cheap good condition kits are long gone. Best bet is to get with Mr. Clean, DSA is OK but very slow. Wait times are sometimes in excess of a year. Stay away from anything with a Hesse receiver and in my opinion Entreprise receivers are marginal. Coonan, DSA, and Imbel receivers are the way to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,547 Posts
My FAL was built on a Hesse receiver. While I do agree that Hesse receivers are not the best, my FAL has performed well. Plus I got a great deal on it.....

I would buy a metric FAL over an inch FAL. The mags are MUCH cheaper.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Hesse receivers were either good or very bad and out of spec. Virtually any receiver can be made to function, but for a hobbyist/home builder, I would not recommend a Hesse. Hesse, on the other hand, made very good AK receivers. If you have a good running FAL with a Hesse receiver, you got one of the good ones. I did not mean to slam your rifle. It is just that the odds will be more in your favor with a DSA or Coonan or Imbel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Which ever way you go a working FAL wonderful rifle. A scoped FAL will generally shoot better than PSL or Drugunov rifle, and serve as good DM rifle IMHO. The right arm of the free world can still serve on, and it's wonderful addition to any collection. I had a Chance at an IMBEL not too long ago for $500 and kick myself for not getting it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
swede62 said:
Which ever way you go a working FAL wonderful rifle. A scoped FAL will generally shoot better than PSL or Drugunov rifle, and serve as good DM rifle IMHO. The right arm of the free world can still serve on, and it's wonderful addition to any collection. I had a Chance at an IMBEL not too long ago for $500 and kick myself for not getting it.
wish i was so lucky to find one for $500. we'll see, they price, time and chance will have to be just right before i can drop the kind of cash for one that a new one runs....i have no luck w/ used firearms so thats out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
jakeg823 said:
swede62 said:
Which ever way you go a working FAL wonderful rifle. A scoped FAL will generally shoot better than PSL or Drugunov rifle, and serve as good DM rifle IMHO. The right arm of the free world can still serve on, and it's wonderful addition to any collection. I had a Chance at an IMBEL not too long ago for $500 and kick myself for not getting it.
wish i was so lucky to find one for $500. we'll see, they price, time and chance will have to be just right before i can drop the kind of cash for one that a new one runs....i have no luck w/ used firearms so thats out
Good Luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,547 Posts
fastback65 said:
Hesse receivers were either good or very bad and out of spec. ......... I did not mean to slam your rifle. It is just that the odds will be more in your favor with a DSA or Coonan or Imbel.
Hey, I understand and agree. Yes, it appears I got lucky with my Hesse FAL. Imbel is #1 IMHO.....

.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top