Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the BIG GUN guys, here's some info and video about this elephant gun, for your enjoyment and edification. :D

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Just finished watch that this morning. His dad certainly wasn’t prepared for the recoil 😆

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the 700 Nitro Express considered a DD by the BATF?

No, but it is by elephants and rhino's. They won't arrest you if they catch you tho. They'll just stomp you into strawberry jam. ;)

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
10 rds prone with a friend's .338 Lapua (8.6 x 70) was enough punishment for me, thank you. I'll use a .30-06 in the RIFLE, CAL. 30, M1 for an 80 round match pretty much unscathed but for bolt action a .270 Win. is about as large a caliber in a bolt action I want to shoot. I rarely use a bolt action in a caliber larger than 6.5x55 and have taken a LOT of game with it. I'm shooting for enjoyment, not for pain.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
10 rds prone with a friend's .338 Lapua (8.6 x 70) was enough punishment for me, thank you. I'll use a .30-06 in the RIFLE, CAL. 30, M1 for an 80 round match pretty much unscathed but for bolt action a .270 Win. is about as large a caliber in a bolt action I want to shoot. I rarely use a bolt action in a caliber larger than 6.5x55 and have taken a LOT of game with it. I'm shooting for enjoyment, not for pain.
It’s not about pain……it’s about power. Raw power. If there was a way to punch a hole in an engine block with 22lr…..I’d never touch the Socom.

·
Registered
599 Posts
There's always a happy medium when it comes to power, performance, and your comfort. Just like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations". Something like a .700 would be far too much for me I know. But if ever given the chance to shoot one, I doubt I'd say no unless I had some sort of shoulder injury.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
It’s not about pain……it’s about power. Raw power. If there was a way to punch a hole in an engine block with 22lr…..I’d never touch the Socom.
There is, even M2 ball will do that. Hate to see - no I'd like to see what this would do to an engine block:

M2 will definitely penetrate. One of the very few stories my father told me about his war service in Germany at the end of the war was about the power of the M1 in concentrated fire. An MG 42 team had his squad pinned down, killed an Lt. and wounded several (can't remember exactly). While they were trying to hide on the ground the sergeant was kicking them and directed them all to fire 4 clips at the huge oak tree behind which the MG team was operating. All of that M2 went all the way through an oak several feet thick and shredded the MG team. Dad referred to this sometimes when I was begging for a rifle, "nope, nur Flinten brauchst du" you just need your shotguns.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
There is, even M2 ball will do that. Hate to see - no I'd like to see what this would do to an engine block:
View attachment 273901
M2 will definitely penetrate. One of the very few stories my father told me about his war service in Germany at the end of the war was about the power of the M1 in concentrated fire. An MG 42 team had his squad pinned down, killed an Lt. and wounded several (can't remember exactly). While they were trying to hide on the ground the sergeant was kicking them and directed them all to fire 4 clips at the huge oak tree behind which the MG team was operating. All of that M2 went all the way through an oak several feet thick and shredded the MG team. Dad referred to this sometimes when I was begging for a rifle, "nope, nur Flinten brauchst du" you just need your shotguns.
That’s not 22lr…….you’re not following along with my exaggeration! 😂

I know that 458 is punching through,I’m not so sure with that 30cal AP round. Plus…….I want the big hole! 😉

I have long wanted to shoot an engine block with some of my rounds rather than just duplicating known proven recipes. Would be interested in knowing what some of my Minie ball slugs would do with one as well.

Reactions: HerrZnk

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
That’s not 22lr…….you’re not following along with my exaggeration! 😂

I know that 458 is punching through,I’m not so sure with that 30cal AP round. Plus…….I want the big hole! 😉

I have long wanted to shoot an engine block with some of my rounds rather than just duplicating known proven recipes. Would be interested in knowing what some of my Minie ball slugs would do with one as well.
Yep missed the .22 angle.
The Army did develop FMJ .22LR for training with the 1919A4/A6 in WW2, complete with an adapter kit, etc. Today both the ammunition and the .22 kits are too rare to shoot. If you can find either. I have never seen the ammunition nor the adapter kits, even back in my MG & SMG days, 1980s BC (Before Children). But I'm sure even FMJ .22LR HV wouldn't offer that penetration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts