Mississippi Gun Owners banner

The Fortress

4K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  kcin 
#1 ·
Neck brought up a good point. Sometimes Bugging Out is not a wise or viable option. Lets focus this thread on sustaining life in or on your own homestead. What preps have you made? Food, security or otherwise to get you through the "inevitable". Indoor garden anyone? Power options? Como? Toilet paper backstock? post em up!

#2 ·
If anything were to ever happen, bugging out would be a bad decision on my part. Have a houseful of food, thousands of rounds of ammo and enough reloading supplies for many more, Coleman lanterns and stoves with plenty of fuel, a pond not 75 yards from the backdoor and a creek not far off, traps for **** and such, plenty of fishing gear, a big wood pile in the shop and wood stove, plenty of family that would show up with their stuff and help out with things...brother-in-law grows a huge garden every year too and they are only a mile away if they chose to stay where they're at. Yep...staying where I'm at.

#3 ·
One of my concerns has always been penetration from incoming rifle rounds - intentional or unintentional. Need a safe reinforced "safe room" when and if the shooting starts. However, there maybe the need to shoot back ... gangs, vandals, and such! Where you gonna shoot from that has sufficient COVER (not concealment) -- all approaches covered?

#5 ·
I have 4 water barrrels (15Gal) filled with water that I rotate every six months plus I keep a minimum of ten un-opened cases of bottled water that I rotate into use. That should get me through most situations except for TEOTWAWKI, (The End of the World As We Know It).

I keep canned vegetables that I rotate into use like beans, corn, peas etc... around 250 cans on hand at any given time.

I also store dry beans & rice, peanut butter, dehydrated soup & noodles (Ramen & Nissan Cup-O-Soup).

I have thousands of rounds for each caliber firearm I own but I'd like to hit 10k for each to feel safe, bout halfway there.

I store medicines & first aid equipment & supplies, handbooks etc.

I keep plenty of toilet paper stocked, flashlights & batteries, also the chemical lights that you break & shake (can be bought cheap at the Dollar Stores).

Plenty of Board games to occupy down time.

Need a Honda Generator, propane tanks & a few other things.

If its a Hurricane, I'm bugging out as I'm just a few blocks off the Gulf.

#6 ·
From what I have read, the most vulnerable area of any fortress is the risk of mass invasion and even a siege once (IF) others determine that you have prepared and have supplies...

A secured perimeter is an integral part of any fortress plan...

Keep a low profile, and think BULLET PROOF and FIRE PROOF for starters!

#7 ·
captain-03 said:
One of my concerns has always been penetration from incoming rifle rounds - intentional or unintentional. Need a safe reinforced "safe room" when and if the shooting starts. However, there maybe the need to shoot back ... gangs, vandals, and such! Where you gonna shoot from that has sufficient COVER (not concealment) -- all approaches covered?
I'm thinking along the lines of covering windows with something bullet resistant split in the middle to fire from.

#8 ·
Its gonna be pretty hard to take a modern house and make a fortress...almost impossible I'd say without considerable expense...Unless u build it that way from the beginning...and this is not something normally done by those of us living in the "burbs"....now maybe in the country its a whole different matter

If you make a safe room...you will not be able to watch your perimeter...

If its getting that bad...its time to haul ass

#11 ·
#17 ·
Well I'm thinking medival tower,built of cinder block with poured concrete with rebar inside,bout 20 feet tall to the roof,20x20 or 30x30 floor space,two floors...3 inch wide gun slits(2) per wall up stairs with about a 3/4 or 1 inch steel sealing door.Plumbed with running water and a wood burning stove......That should keep MOSt of the zombies out for a good bit.. :lol3: sorry guys it was just to easy to pass up!!!!! But I have actually considered building it just to see what my wife would say :lol3:

#18 ·
pinetor said:
While I don't consider it "fortress" .. I am now starting to accumulate food stock items... coffee, sugar, rice, cooking oil. Still working on a rotation scheme. I have decided to go with 5gallon buckets as a second container.
I couldnt help but notice that coffee came in at the top of your list. When we run out and the wife starts to lose her sanity I know where to go.

#21 ·
interesting development on my medival tower build,I was telling my wife about me poking fun at ya'll on this thread.She asked me what I thought it would cost to build it and could I do it as a DIY project an could I build it into the barn to conceal it....without ever cracking a smile....looks like I'm fixing to have to start pricing cinder block and concrete

ps...she said no deal without a stand up shower installed

#22 ·
@ 1985 4runner: you have a lot of supplies in a vulnerable (to hurricane) location? Do you have plans / means to move with a substantial quantity if you have to? Just thinking...I grew up on the coast, New Orleans, Pascagoula, my first hurricane was in New Orleans, Betsy; after that Camille, then Frederick, then and then and then...thought I was far enough away from the coast 'til Katrina hit us. About the rest of the posts: I just wonder about mobility w/supplies versus a "fortress". If you find yourself in a EOTW / TSHTF situation in which the bad guys or government or zombies or ??? feel you are in an impregnable structure and want you out / want your stuff, they can escalate force while (unless you have a secret exit) you can only sit tight and wait for destruction. I had a friend who used to accumulate ammunition. I mean boxcars full of 7.62x39, 5.56NATO, 9mmNATO, etc. I asked him what he was going to do if TSHTF, sit in his wood frame sheetrock walled house and play the Alamo? Just didn't get it...best to have enough supplies and alternate locations to bug out to. How much food & ammo is enough? How much can you really carry and how - on person, in vehicle, hidden in caches - I don't believe in tying myself and loved ones to a single location. Rather slip out under the radar.

#23 ·
What food/ supply will survive a non-climate controlled area like your garage? Would put poison and rat traps all around it. I have some serious shelving. Would they need to be put up in those five gallon screw top buckets with some plastic liner?
I know a lot of us keep stuff in the garage that could easily be broken into with some hooks, chains and a auto/truck. What could you do to make that harder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.