Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_0636.JPG
I finally finished the last custom rifle that I committed on about three years ago. My gun stock checkering takes all of five days a week, leaving no time for anything else. Just making sawdust! Great customer from Columbus, MS. and very patient. Started with a Winchester Pre-64 action, and installed a new 30-06 barrel. A spectacular blank of true European French walnut was used, and Al Beisen's son, Roger, of Spokane Washington machined the blank.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The bottom metal is a Sunny Hill trigger guard with the straddle floor plate, very expensive, but worth every penny. The original M70 trigger was replaced by a Jewel trigger, set at 2 lb-2oz. The stock was hand rubbed to a hard oil finish. An ebony forend tip was fitted, with a widow's peak. The Dakota two screw swivel hardware was used. The customer mounted a Steiner scope, using Leupold 30mm rings.
IMG_0637.JPG

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_0641.JPG
It's hard to see, but the bolt knob was checkered in three panels, which is very classy. A skeleton buttplate and a skeleton grip cap were fitted complete with a 1/8 inch ribbon and checkering inside the panel. The stock checkering is the deluxe Griffin & Howe wrap-around point pattern cut at 22 LPI. Mullered borders were added to the checkering.
IMG_0639.JPG

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the metal was rust blued, something that I had to sub out. That was a near disaster!
Before starting the detail finishing, and when the rifle was mechanical finished, I shot the rifle at 100 yards off of sand bags, and it really liked Federal Premium 150 & 165 gr. hunting loads, grouping about 3/4 inch with three shots. Not too bad for a light weight hunting barrel.
I delivered the rifle to the customer this morning and I think he was a happy camper!

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Mr. Tim you are a true artist!!! That is the finest example of the art of gunsmithing I have ever seen!!! I am truly humbled by your craftsmanship and attention to detail!!!:):):)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I was rich & handsome, I would retire! Still checkering every day. I'm lucky to really enjoy the work, but there's nothing easy about it. Maybe because the older I get the lazier I get! Good to hear from you Malcom, and Best to You, Tim

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
And thank you Mr. Rob!!!! :D

Reactions: phillipd
1 - 20 of 27 Posts