Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1701 - 1720 of 1756 Posts

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
One of these.... (to hang on the wall)... :)

That's a Seiko 12" Round Wood Grain Finish Wall Clock with "Dual Quarter & Hourly Chimes"... has a solid wood case and glass over the metal face dial too... :giggle:

(It has an electronic quartz movement... C cell battery powered... no daily winding here.)

I grew tired of digital clocks all around me... :LOL:

@patchz

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
A new ignition switch for the zero turn.
Pics... photos...??? :giggle:

My "hilly" terrain property here isn't really suited well to a "zero turn" mowing machine... :unsure:

Alas... a conventional "tractor type" riding mower was my best solution... :cool:

Reactions: BasMstr

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Pics... photos...??? :giggle:

My "hilly" terrain property here isn't really suited well to a "zero turn" mowing machine... :unsure:

Alas... a conventional "tractor type" riding mower was my best solution... :cool:
I hear people say that, and always wonder why? My property isn’t hilly, but I’ve cut some that was with my zero turn.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
I hear people say that, and always wonder why? My property isn’t hilly, but I’ve cut some that was with my zero turn.
Some of the "inclines" and "grades" here in this Mississippi county are quite severe...!!! :oops:

Reactions: BasMstr

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Some of the "inclines" and "grades" here in this Mississippi county are quite severe...!!! :oops:
I guess I just don't see the difference in using a zero turn or traditional on bad slopes. Is it a fear of tipping? Or a fear of the operator slipping or even falling off? I've had a few times you'd have thought I was trying to tip my zero turn, never been an issue. I've cut up, down, and across the slope on some pretty steep one. Of course, I try to "pop wheelies" on mine (my favorite method is to run it in reverse til it gets up to speed, then jam the levers forward 😁) but haven't been able to get the front tires more than about two inches off the ground. The worst I've had on mine was taking off too fast a couple times towing one of my trailers. The front raised up and the rear end dropped down until the bumper was about 2-3 inches off the ground. All I have to do is lean forward slightly and the front drops back down.

But definitely use what works best for you, no matter what it is.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
I guess I just don't see the difference in using a zero turn or traditional on bad slopes. Is it a fear of tipping? Or a fear of the operator slipping or even falling off? I've had a few times you'd have thought I was trying to tip my zero turn, never been an issue. I've cut up, down, and across the slope on some pretty steep one. Of course, I try to "pop wheelies" on mine (my favorite method is to run it in reverse til it gets up to speed, then jam the levers forward 😁) but haven't been able to get the front tires more than about two inches off the ground. The worst I've had on mine was taking off too fast a couple times towing one of my trailers. The front raised up and the rear end dropped down until the bumper was about 2-3 inches off the ground. All I have to do is lean forward slightly and the front drops back down.

Sliding on inclines... the machine that is... and risk of tipping it over. Don't wanna find myself "inverted" there... :oops:

Nearly 85% of my "yard" could be easily & safely mowed with a zero-turn... it's just that other 15% that worries me... and I can't afford to buy one of each type of machine.

But this thing is virtually as fast as a "zero-turn" mower- JD X570 with a 54" mowing deck... :giggle:

If only I could "pop wheelies" on it... just ain't happening yet...!!! :LOL:

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
I recently got a new Ariens Ikon XD 42" zero turn with the 18HP Kawasaki engine this year (fits the places I need it to fit and is more than sufficient for my yard). It's a bit faster than the 16 year old JD 125 riding mower I had (and gave to a friend). The mower was great as made...until Lowes got ahold of it and "prepped" it (or failed to correctly). What they didn't do was to move the seat from its' shipping position (where it sits directly on the engine fan housing). The delivery guy plopped down on it hard and drove it down the street to my house (still no idea why he parked so far up the street). I had read on Youtube reviews about them doing (or not doing) this during Lowes "prep", so I checked and the seat back was torn, and the air intake screen was cracked/smashed and I showed him how the seat was sitting directly on the engine and how this was wrong and he moved the seat to it's proper position which took all of two minutes. When I mowed it sounded off to me, so I checked further and the fan housing (the big plastic engine shroud) was also cracked. I made the delivery guy make a note of the issues that I saw offhand on the receipt and he assured me that Lowes would give me a discount to correct it. That was a few months ago and after going around with them (I waited 2 months for them to deliver it and they rescheduled on me with no notice and no phone call four times), they wanted to send it to a third party for repair with no estimate as to when I'd get it back (translation -- mowing season would likely be over before I got it back). Having no other way to mow, this was a non-starter. I went around with them and they finally agreed that I could order the parts and fix it myself and that they'd give me a discount for the amount of the parts, credited to the Lowes credit account (free 24 month financing). I finally got the parts (the Kawasaki engine part, the fan housing, was the hard thing to obtain) and tore it apart Saturday. While I was in there, I noticed that the inner metal screen was also bent and the (plastic) fan blades are pretty trashed from hitting the bent metal screen. I ordered those parts and I'll take it back down again when they arrive (hopefully before I need to mow again). Have not heard anything from the Lowes manager, so once I get those and email her the receipts, I'll be calling them to bug them about the credit to my account. Lowes sucks at prepping mowers. There was no need for this, I even mentioned it to them (that they need to do the seat prep) before they delivered it. They screwed up a perfectly decent zero turn because they're lazy, incompetent turds (IMO). So, I'd avoid getting anything like a ZT from Lowes. Going back and forth with them was a lengthy process and I have my doubts I'll ever get my {~$300) for repair parts reimbursed. And good luck getting anyone at Lowes to answer the phone. I doubt Lowes will change anything about what they do for mower prep, so I'd recommend avoiding them for ZT mowers.

So much damage for a prep that would have taken them all of two minutes to do (and is part of the Ariens prep procedures, there's even a tag on the seat indicating it).

I didn't just return it because the things are pretty hard to get and I figured (and still do) that I can fix it myself.

Seemed like the right thread to vent about this. :ROFLMAO:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
I recently got a new Ariens Ikon XD 42" zero turn with the 18HP Kawasaki engine this year (fits the places I need it to fit and is more than sufficient for my yard). It's a bit faster than the 16 year old JD 125 riding mower I had (and gave to a friend). The mower was great as made...until Lowes got ahold of it and "prepped" it (or failed to correctly). What they didn't do was to move the seat from its' shipping position (where it sits directly on the engine fan housing). The delivery guy plopped down on it hard and drove it down the street to my house (still no idea why he parked so far up the street). I had read on Youtube reviews about them doing (or not doing) this during Lowes "prep", so I checked and the seat back was torn, and the air intake screen was cracked/smashed and I showed him how the seat was sitting directly on the engine and how this was wrong. When I mowed it sounded off to me, so I checked further and the fan housing (the big plastic engine shroud) was also cracked. I made the delivery guy make a note of the issues on the receipt and he assured me that Lowes would give me a discount. That was a few months ago and after going around with them (I waited 2 months for them to deliver it and they rescheduled on me with no notice and no phone call four times), they wanted to send it to a third party for repair with no estimate as to when I'd get it back (translation -- mowing season would likely be over before I got it back). Having no other way to mow, this was a non-starter. I went around with them and they finally agreed that I could order the parts and fix it myself and that they'd give me a discount for the amount of the pats, credited to the Lowes credit account (free 24 month financing). I finally got the parts (the Kawasaki engine part, the fan housing, was the hard thing to obtain) and tore it apart Saturday. While I was in there, I noticed that the inner metal screen was also bent and the (plastic) fan blades are pretty trashed. I ordered those parts and I'll take it back down again when they arrive (hopefully before I need to mow again). Have not heard anything from the Lowes manager, so once I get those and email her the receipts, I'll be calling them to bug them about the credit to my account. Lowes sucks at prepping mowers. There was no need for this, I even mentioned it to them (that they need to do the seat prep) before they delivered it. They screwed up a perfectly decent zero turn because they're lazy, incompetent turds (IMO). So, I'd avoid getting anything like a ZT from Lowes. Going back and forth with them was a lengthy process and I have my doubts I'll ever get my {~$300) for repair parts reimbursed. And good luck getting anyone at Lowes to answer the phone. I doubt Lowes will change anything about what they do for mower prep, so I'd recommend avoiding them for ZT mowers.

Seemed like the right thread to vent about this. :ROFLMAO:
I"m sorry to read of your bad experience there, @maxhush... hope it all "washes out" for you okay...!!!

Reactions: maxhush

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
I"m sorry to read of your bad experience there, @maxhush... hope it all "washes out" for you okay...!!!
Meh, it just gets me more familiar with the mower a bit sooner than I would have expected. I'd just warn folks to steer clear of buying anything with an engine from Lowes these days. They have gone waaaaay downhill since I bought the previous riding mower from them 16 years ago. If they actually reimburse me for the parts, I'll be surprised. I expect them to avoid my calls concerning it much the same as they did while trying to get it resolved. The ZT itself is sweet, or would be if they'd prepped and delivered it as Ariens (owned by Gravely) intended. I wrote.a lengthy review for the Lowes web page, but it has not appeared...what a shocker, eh? :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
16,104 Posts
Sliding on inclines... the machine that is... and risk of tipping it over. Don't wanna find myself "inverted" there... :oops:

Nearly 85% of my "yard" could be easily & safely mowed with a zero-turn... it's just that other 15% that worries me... and I can't afford to buy one of each type of machine.

But this thing is virtually as fast as a "zero-turn" mower- JD X570 with a 54" mowing deck... :giggle:

If only I could "pop wheelies" on it... just ain't happening yet...!!! :LOL:
Idk what kinda zero turn you’ve been around but I’d have to see just how fast that thing runs before I say any rider is as fast as a ZT.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
Meh, it just gets me more familiar with the mower a bit sooner than I would have expected. I'd just warn folks to steer clear of buying anything with an engine from Lowes these days. They have gone waaaaay downhill since I bought the previous riding mower from them 16 years ago. If they actually reimburse me for the parts, I'll be surprised. I expect them to avoid my calls concerning it much the same as they did while trying to get it resolved. The ZT itself is sweet, or would be if they'd prepped and delivered it as Ariens (owned by Gravely) intended. I wrote.a lengthy review for the Lowes web page, but it has not appeared...what a shocker, eh? :ROFLMAO:
Your "review" on this one for the Lowe's website will "prolly" disappear.... :oops: :whistle:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
Idk what kinda zero turn you’ve been around but I’d have to see just how fast that thing runs before I say any rider is as fast as a ZT.
@Ellis93... the JD X570 "runs" the fastest as I've mowed my yard. I'm back inside the house and in heavenly A/C comfort in a tad over one (1) hour.

During a recent "grass & weed" growing season (about two years ago) I paid someone (my then neighbor) to sometimes mow my yard with his brand new zero turn "Bad Boy" mower. He didn't accomplish such work must sooner than I had been doing on my JD "tractor type" X570... just sayin'... :)

The JD 54" wide mowing deck and Kawasaki built V-Twin engine teamed with a hydrostatic transaxle don't hurt things at all.... trust me here... :cool:

And it has a "cup holder" on it... unlike my previous JD GT225 42" cut riding mower...!!! :giggle:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts

@BasMstr ... I've had my JD tractor type mowers nearly "sideways" a time or two when mowing on a slope. I "grabbed a hand hold handle" and clung on for "dear life"...!!! I've learned to go "up & down" on such slopes & incline grades...!!! :giggle:

Reactions: maxhush and BasMstr

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts

@BasMstr ... Yazoo County here... and some of the gully slopes and steep inclines are very "serious". Run off into one of those in an errant car or truck driving manner... and you might not be "discovered" for a year or longer...!!! :oops:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Sliding on inclines... the machine that is... and risk of tipping it over.
I dunno, I just don't understand how a zero turn would be more likely to slide or tip than a conventional. Mine has cut my mowing time in half at my place. And it has a cupholder, lol. And a handy little "tray" to keep the snake tamer.

I do know that I'll never buy another John Deere mower. Several family members and a couple of friends have had them, and all of us had nothing but problems with them. Originally, I didn't mind paying more for it because I figured I was paying more for better quality. Nope, seemed like something was always breaking or wearing out. And parts were stupid expensive. My little Toro zero turn has cut more grass than I care to think about in the last eight years. So far, other than the ignition switch and replacing the spindles/pulleys, all I've had to do is change blades, oil, and filters. Planning on taking it in for a good all around service this fall, though.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,735 Posts
Conventional riding mower the weight was all in front with your weight in back , zero turn weight is all in back..

Reactions: Cliff731
1701 - 1720 of 1756 Posts