Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1721 - 1740 of 1756 Posts

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
I dunno, I just don't understand how a zero turn would be more likely to slide or tip than a conventional. Mine has cut my mowing time in half at my place. And it has a cupholder, lol. And a handy little "tray" to keep the snake tamer.

I do know that I'll never buy another John Deere mower. Several family members and a couple of friends have had them, and all of us had nothing but problems with them. Originally, I didn't mind paying more for it because I figured I was paying more for better quality. Nope, seemed like something was always breaking or wearing out. And parts were stupid expensive. My little Toro zero turn has cut more grass than I care to think about in the last eight years. So far, other than the ignition switch and replacing the spindles/pulleys, all I've had to do is change blades, oil, and filters. Planning on taking it in for a good all around service this fall, though.
@BasMstr ... my local John Deere dealer's "rep" looked over my property, and they are well familiar with the "terrain" in this county. They firmly recommended against buying a "zero turn" type mower. "Tip over" & slipping & sliding on slopes is the real concern it seems.

(Had I thought a "zero turn" would safely work on all of my "yard"... then that's what I would be posting a photo of here!!!)

Both of my John Deere riding tractor type mowers came from a John Deere dealer... neither one was available from a "big box" retail store (e.g- Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Each proved to be very reliable... almost boringly so... with hardly any service other than blade changes, oil & filter changes... etc. The first one was recommended to me by my late brother... and he certainly didn't mislead at all... speaking to the "reliability" factor. He owned a J.D. GT 265 at the time... & typically "trading up" to progressively larger J.D. tractor type mowers. (But his 3 acre property is as flat as a "table top"... and that nice GT 265 was eventually traded for a J.D. "commerial" grade zero turn mower... perfect match there.)

My cousin up the road has one like mine (albeit his has a 48" deck)... but he's mowing lots of grass on his "estate"... at least once or twice a week...!!!

Here's a pic of my late neighbor and friend Robert Vinson who lived up the road from me, while sitting on his J.D. X590 riding tractor mower... (he was/always a U.S. Marine and proudly flew the Marine banner flag on the front of his home)... and this ol' guy was "tough as nails"...!!!

(That's not Robert's home in the background... but his neighbors. Said home burned down to the ground about a year later... :oops: )

Some of the folks around here have "tried" a zero-turn... but they didn't keep it very long...!!! :)

·
Premium Member
16,104 Posts
@BasMstr ... my local John Deere dealer's "rep" looked over my property, and they are well familiar with the "terrain" in this county. They firmly recommended against buying a "zero turn" type mower. "Tip over" & slipping & sliding on slopes is the real concern it seems.

(Had I thought a "zero turn" would safely work on all of my "yard"... then that's what I would be posting a photo of here!!!)

Both of my John Deere riding tractor type mowers came from a John Deere dealer... neither one was available from a "big box" retail store (e.g- Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Each proved to be very reliable... almost boringly so... with hardly any service other than blade changes, oil & filter changes... etc. The first one was recommended to me by my late brother... and he certainly didn't mislead at all... speaking to the "reliability" factor. He owned a J.D. GT 265 at the time... & typically "trading up" to progressively larger J.D. tractor type mowers. (But his 3 acre property is as flat as a "table top"... and that nice GT 265 was eventually traded for a J.D. "commerial" grade zero turn mower... perfect match there.)

My cousin up the road has one like mine (albeit his has a 48" deck)... but he's mowing lots of grass on his "estate"... at least once or twice a week...!!!

Here's a pic of my late neighbor and friend Robert Vinson who lived up the road from me, while sitting on his J.D. X590 riding tractor mower... (he was/always a U.S. Marine and proudly flew the Marine banner flag on the front of his home)... and this ol' guy was "tough as nails"...!!!

Some of the folks around here have "tried" a zero-turn... but they didn't keep it very long...!!! :)
Dude! Give some info on the OBS Ford! I always enjoy seeing those “real” Ford trucks still doing work.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
Dude! Give some info on the OBS Ford! I always enjoy seeing those “real” Ford trucks still doing work.
Ellis.. I fear it was "lost" in that house fire... :oops: :unsure:

That old house had been a "fixture" there since my childhood years... I truly hated to see it gone.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
We might have "veered off" into @HerrZnk 's proverbial weed patch here... but it is certainly all good...!!! :)(y)

Reactions: maxhush

·
Premium Member
16,104 Posts
Ellis.. I fear it was "lost" in that house fire... :oops: :unsure:

That old house had been a "fixture" there since my childhood years... I truly hated to see it gone.
That sucks. Those were decent old trucks,either with the IDI 7.3 or Powerstroke. Weak link was the auto trans if you beat on them (worked too hard), But most were really dependable.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Conventional riding mower the weight was all in front with your weight in back , zero turn weight is all in back..
Not all of them. Plenty of rear engine "non-zero turn" mowers out there. I understand your point, though. However, if you're going uphill on a steep enough incline to flip a zero turn, you'd be climbing a damn near vertical hill. I don't see either type making that climb. And even though there's no motor up front, the front end is still heavy as hell. Whenever I need to lift the front of mine, I have to use a floor jack. I just don't see it flipping. And as far as rolling, a 42/54/60 inch deck is a 42/54/60 inch deck whether on a zero turn or conventional. If the grade is steep enough to roll a zero turn, it'll roll a conventional. All my conventional riders were way more top heavy than any zero turn I've been on.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
Not all of them. Plenty of rear engine "non-zero turn" mowers out there. I understand your point, though. However, if you're going uphill on a steep enough incline to flip a zero turn, you'd be climbing a damn near vertical hill. I don't see either type making that climb. And even though there's no motor up front, the front end is still heavy as hell. Whenever I need to lift the front of mine, I have to use a floor jack. I just don't see it flipping. And as far as rolling, a 42/54/60 inch deck is a 42/54/60 inch deck whether on a zero turn or conventional. If the grade is steep enough to roll a zero turn, it'll roll a conventional. All my conventional riders were way more top heavy than any zero turn I've been on.
And yes, @BasMstr ... I was always trying to be extra careful even on my "tractor" type J.D. - which I learned quickly and needed only 'one' lesson in such. Don't get it too sideways on steep inclines...!!! I never "rolled it"... but there was one occasion when I feared such was about to happen... :oops:

54" or 60" mowing decks are the "cat's pajamas"... if such will "fit" in your yard... :cool:

Reactions: BasMstr

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts

(That's not Robert's home in the background... but his neighbors. Said home burned down to the ground about a year later... :oops: )

Hey Cliff, I don't think you had you say the location this picture was taken as I believe most if not all would have known Yazoo County just by the Kudzu in the background ;) We have a little around here but nothing like y'all have. Please keep it up there. :ROFLMAO:

OOOPS, another thread drift off into the "weed patch", I apoligize in advance :)

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
Hey Cliff, I don't think you had you say the location this picture was taken as I believe most if not all would have known Yazoo County just by the Kudzu in the background ;) We have a little around here but nothing like y'all have. Please keep it up there. :ROFLMAO:

OOOPS, another thread drift off into the "weed patch", I apologize in advance :)
@Trashy ... I''ll bring ya'll some of this pesky "kudzu" the next time I happen to travel to your part of Mississippi...!!! It seriously needs "exporting"... and I'll even stick it in the dirt for ya...!!! :LOL:

I seem to recall my Dad talking about planting this invasive Japanese and Oriental plant species stuff when he was in FDR's "CCC"... a long time ago. The rest is obviously "history" in our State... all in the name of "erosion control"... :cool:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
Thanks Cliff, I appreciate the offer, but you can keep it up there. ;)
@Trashy ... I would love to share some of this "kudzu" plant stuff with ya'll... :LOL:

Acres and acres across the road from my local FFL gun guy are 100% smothered with Kudzu vine growth...!!! :(

·
Rational Anarchist
14,968 Posts
Part of my property is a fairly steep hillside and I have to go straight up it and straight back down because the ass end of the zero turns like to slide down it. A couple of my oaks I put out a few years ago have been mowed due to control issues on a hillside. So, I understand how a zero turn may not be best for some places.

I did see where cub cadet has come out with a zero turn whose front wheels aren’t just free turning casters. It looks like it would track on a hillside better than the Kabota or Hustler I have.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
The Ariens ZT mows my yard in nearly half the time as the JD 125 riding mower did, and I'm still getting used to it, so I should be faster at it as I gain experience. Being able to essentially rotate it around its' axis saves a lot of time over the JD rider backing and turning. You can "come about" completely and quickly compared to the rider/lawn tractor (I have to improve my technique doing that to reduce the small missed spots I sometime get as a result)). I also do have to adjust the steering a bit on mine as it came from the factory pulling a bit to the right (there's a handy dandy Youtube video on how to do that). I am also going to need an impact wrench to get the fan bolt off there (already on order) and a 17mm deep impact socket (also on order). Going from the steering wheel on the rider to the dual levers on the ZT takes some getting used to and taking it slow in areas with more obstacles is how I do that for now. I backed into and cracked my old deck box like an eggshell (due for a new one anyway as the UV had pretty much destroyed the old one). Backing it into the garage, in it's limited slot, was pretty challenging at first, but if you take it slow at first to gain familiarity it isn't too bad.

Biggest danger is all the roofing nails that they missed when they cleaned up after re-roofing there house. I am working on a rear attachment to add to the ZT using a strong bar fishing magnet that I'll hang to clear the ground and maybe add a length of gas pipe with some ceramic coated donut magnets too (pace maker magnets). I bought a magnetic roller from HD and added (duct taped) some extra donut magnets to it and have gathered maybe half a pint mason jar of roofing nails pre-scanning the yard with it (the roofer did it twice and still missed that many). I hate losing tires to roofing nails.

I also found that my oil filter socket for the old JD filter also fits the new ZT Kawasaki oil filter perfectly.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
A Ruger LCP Max 12-rd magazine.

Gadget Electronic device Font Video game accessory Machine

Reactions: rc and rigrat
1721 - 1740 of 1756 Posts