The snakes are out

Discussion in 'North Mississippi' started by GunnyGene, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

A little early, I think. So, what's long and thin with a black back w/ small white spots, and a white belly, and narrow head? About 3 feet long. I'm assuming non-venomous due to the head. I'd post a pic, but he was gone by the time got back to the house for my camera.

phillipd and Blondie70 like this.
  2. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Sounds like a king snake. You want them around.

3. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Sounds like a Speckled King Snake...good snake, eats rodents and poisonous snakes.

Saw several snakes out several weeks ago while inspecting a wooded site.

4. GunnyGene

Yep, that's it. Thanks. :) I did yank my lcr when I nearly stepped on it, but put it away when I got a good look at him.

Looked it up and found a video of it here:

Speckled Kingsnake

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    mascott, Blondie70, rigrat and 3 others like this.
  5. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Yep, that's your best of buddies right there. Give him anything he wants and ask if he wants to move his family in!

Cliff731, mascott, Blondie70 and 5 others like this.
  6. granjack

granjack Distinguished Poster

Have several of those guys that hang around my pool/deck. Rarely see any other snakes.

7. Doc

Doc Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The yellow speckled king snake is first on a VERY SHORT list of snakes that I try very hard to avoid killing.
    When I was growing up, the yellow speckled king snake was the only snake that my dad would not kill around our dairy barn...........
    The king snakes, green snakes and black racers are the three top on my "try to avoid killing" list ----

8. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

Gunny, if you are referring to using the shape of the head to make a determination then you could easily be mistaken. For example, there are several species with triangular (or nearly triangular) heads which are non-venomous (i.e. several water snake species). There are also species with clearly non-triangular heads which are venomous (i.e. coral snake).

Here in MS, it is easier to learn to quickly identify which ones are venomous and then you know that if it isn't one of those, it is certainly non-venomous. MS venomous snakes are:

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake (not found this far north though)
    Timber Rattler (easily distinguished)
    Pygmy Rattler (sometimes not easily distinguished if young and has no obvious rattles)
    Copperhead (fairly easily distinguished based on combination of coloring and head shape)
    Coral Snake (very rare, easily distinguished if you remember the rhyme, not generally a threat to humans based on their extremely small mouths).
    Cottonmouth (this one is the hardest to distinguish - especially when young. There are many species of non-venomous water snakes that look very similar).

9. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    No need to be able to tell non venomous from venomous they all must die. :scarface:

10. GunnyGene

About the only one on your list that I'm not familiar with by markings is the pygmy rattler.

Jarhead5811, Blondie70 and rigrat like this.
  11. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I don't kill king snakes although I rarely see them. We've had a black runner hanging around that I decided not to shoot. They're too much fun. I've been calling him Jesse Owens.

12. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Yep King snakes are about the only ones that I let live around here.

Cliff731, Jarhead5811 and DEADEYE 1 like this.
  13. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I think that I have killed only two coral snakes in my life. They wer both small. I mostly kill Rattlesnakes , Copperheads, and Moccasions [Cottonmouths.] The cottonmouths and copperheads can be aggressive. There are some Rattlesnakes down here that will make you break out in a cold sweat, even after you have killed one, they get very big and as big around as your arm. There was a guy on the old MDWFP forum that I got into some discussions with that said that we should let all snakes alone and not kill them. I basically asked him what are you going to do if you live in the country and have pets and children, I do my share to thin them out around here. The harmless snakes can catch the mice.

14. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I kill only the bad boys. Have lost a couple dogs to them. Kings, blacksnakes, chickensnakes (no chickens) all live a happy life around here. Even had a few spreading adders here ... they look bad but eat frogs.

Quickeye, Jarhead5811 and maxhush like this.
  15. DEADEYE 1

Thanks for this thread. I have been feeling poorly lately. After my last post, my oldest pup [12 years old] came inside. I saw a bump on one hip, I touched it and she reacted like it was tender. I touched it later and a secretion like red kool-aid got on my finger. I smelled it, no smell but the vapor burned my eye. I got a light and it is a punture with a cut. I keep meds for my dogs and have treated snake bites before. I gave her a 12 hour anti-inflammatory med and Keflex for infection. It has not swelled up very much yet, So now I will start patrolling the yard and cut some wild grass and weeds sprouting up. Something happens to one and they all pout. Sam is about 4 years old is leaning over the side of my chair while I am typing this. This is a little puzzling because I have one that is the aggressive one , has had a deep cut across her upper lip that runs about 2 inches across and about a half inch deep. I have had her on Keflex for two to three days. We have some wild hogs down the rod, they may have moved up this way. I had one with a deep puncture wound in his side that I believe a hog did several years ago.

Cliff731 likes this.
  16. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

The first time I seen a spreading adder I was like 6 or 7 and I was at my grandfather's house in one of the empty dog pens and he was lifted up and all spread out. I ran as fast as I could and told my grand dad I had just seen a king cobra.
    He got a good laugh out of it, and I got educated.

17. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

I caught a small king snake and put it in a jar, in my younger days. A few hours later there were two snakes in the jar. The king snake wasn’t a foot long, but was doing its job.

Blondie70 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  18. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

I caught a 4 foot long king snake and put it in an open top five gallon bucket. My Dad was eating breakfast and I put the bucket beside him and stepped away. I never did that again.

19. DEADEYE 1

Those puffing adders may not be poisonous but they can rattle your nerves. I admit I have shot one or two of them, I did not like the way they were hissing at me. One morning years ago I was turkey hunting with a friend. We were walking beside a creek on a cool morning. I looked down and there was the biggest cottonmouth that I have ever seen coiled up only a foot away.
    I slipped a lower power shell in my Browning and sent him to snake heaven or hell.

SLBcmtr, Blondie70 and Cliff731 like this.
  20. stidgun

stidgun Distinguished Poster

Friendly snakes will wipe out the bluebird boxes. Just saying.

Blondie70 likes this.