The USAF lost a box of live 40mm grenades

Discussion in 'Round Table' started by GunnyGene, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

And they really would like to have them back. Good luck with that. :groan::lol4:

I think they're still missing a couple of nukes also.

Excerpt:

Henry Bowman and Chicknman like this.
  2. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    Minot has it’s own munitions reporting hotline, what does that tell you?

Redlick83, maxhush, fordpkup and 2 others like this.

3. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Clearly this falls into the realm of "career ending" events in the USAF and U.S. military... someone's head(s) will roll over this!!! :eek:

I would not want to be one of those Security Police types who were riding in that HUMVEE... nor their NCOIC... nor their OIC... o_O

Just saying! ;)

jakeg823 and LeansVeryRight2016 like this.
  4. Cliff731

Whoever stumbled upon those grenades in the road might as well go ahead and turn the things in... for if they've talked around and about regarding "what they found", their friends and neighbors will likely rat them out for $5k worth of Air Force reward money!!! :p

mascott and jakeg823 like this.
  5. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    I mean I’d love to think I could keep them hidden well enough, but this day and age, they’re liable to get the cell companies to show them who all drove through that area at the time, using the gps we all leave on all the time on our phones, or some such nonsense. Might as well take the $5k and treat yo’ self, or spend it on something silly, like bills or taxes.

6. bar306

bar306 Distinguished Poster

I'm more worried about the 2 missing nukes you mentioned.

7. GunnyGene

Looked the location up on google earth and found some very interesting topography. Appears to be some kind of surface mining area, no sign of any military stuff. No gates etc., but it fits the description and location given in the article.

The question I have is what were these guys doing banging around in a Humvee full of live explosives 50+ miles from Minot? :hmm:

Here's coords if you want to snoop around on Google Maps (satellite view).
    47°56'49.1"N 102°13'05.9"W

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Cliff731 likes this.
  8. GunnyGene

Old story, but there's been numerous nukes lost over the last 60 years or so. This was the one I was referring to:
    See this for some others. 8 Nuclear Weapons the U.S. Has Lost

steve2112 and Cliff731 like this.
  9. Leonidas

Leonidas The Beast MSGO Supporter

Louisiana
    Check classifieds:

Wanted to buy or trade: MK19, G to VG condition

10. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Probably not the first time on the grenades . The Nukes, the nuts that took them probably do not have the means to detonate. But there are probably groups from the middle East that would pay big money for them, that is scary. I knew that Military had accidently dropped or crashed some nukes in the past.

11. Leonidas

Leonidas The Beast MSGO Supporter

Louisiana
    Isn't that part of the country where over-the-top militias tend to congregate? I can just picture hundreds of those guys out scouring the area. LOL

12. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

Has Gomer joined the USAF?

13. Cliff731

Visiting one or more of the missile silo sites that Minot AFB supports...??? :)

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  14. GunnyGene

I didn't see anything resembling a missile silo within miles of that location. Given the remoteness of the location, the next question I have is: Did those grenades just fall out of the back or were they being "delivered"?

15. Cliff731

A good question... and yes, anything is possible here. :)

Henry Bowman and Jarhead5811 like this.
  16. GunnyGene

Correction to my previous: I did find a missile pad about 2 miles north of that ( surface mining? ) location I mentioned. Here's the coord: 47° 58′ 27″ N, 102° 13′ 20″ W . So maybe it was what the USAF said. Or maybe not. :hmm:

17. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    Worry more about the Soviet missing nukes.

18. Cliff731

Gunny... that might be it!!! I took a view of what's at those coordinates on Google Maps. There sure a lot of remote and desolate looking country up there. I understand the winters can be quite brutally cold and frigid in North Dakota! :)

19. GunnyGene

I still have a couple questions about this. For example, is the surface mining location really surface mining or is it a gunnery range? Where were the grenades stored? Had to be in a ammo bunker somewhere nearby, or at the missile pad itself. Either way, it doesn't explain the romp along "rough dirt roads", and not knowing immediately that they "fell out". Why didn't they backtrack their route to find that can of grenades within minutes? I still think it's screwy.

mascott, maxhush, jakeg823 and 3 others like this.
  20. Cliff731

Their actions are likely not going to be shining beacons of "appropriate" Airman behavior once the official Air Force investigative team's report is completed, approved, signed, and in print.

The "axe" is certainly gonna fall swift and hard on those boys... along with a few others too... :eek:

"Examples" will be made of them... o_O

maxhush likes this.