Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A female sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) killed this pigeon in my yard. Taken with a Nikon D60.

Thanks for lookin' yall.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
That's a cool looking Hawk.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great shots! I see a few small hawks near the end of hunting season. Had one get stuck in my shooting house this year and died..... Beautiful bird. Was more colorful than the one in your pics....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TomBomb said:
Great shots! I see a few small hawks near the end of hunting season. Had one get stuck in my shooting house this year and died..... Beautiful bird. Was more colorful than the one in your pics....
I am not sure what species that would have been but generally the females are not as "colorful" as the males.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Outstanding pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing them with us!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TomBomb said:
It looked very similar, but was striped black & white on yellow underneath....beautiful.
Hmm since sparrowhawks are not in the US it would probably be a coopers hawk. Not sure though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
G.O.D., I think you're right: American Kestrel,a.k.a Sparrow Hawk, (Falco sparverius).The American Kestrel is a small Falcon.Males grow 9-10 inches with a wingspan up to 20 inches.Females get a little bigger by an inch or two and have up to a 24 inch wingspan...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TomBomb said:
G.O.D., I think you're right: American Kestrel,a.k.a Sparrow Hawk, (Falco sparverius).The American Kestrel is a small Falcon.Males grow 9-10 inches with a wingspan up to 20 inches.Females get a little bigger by an inch or two and have up to a 24 inch wingspan...
Kestrels are kestrels at the end of the day, just the same as ours but the US does not have the sparrowhawk which is a completely different bird. We have many different species of birds of prey in Scotland.

The golden eagle being our national icon as is the red stag. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts