This weekend at the Menge Flea Market

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by burb1989, Apr 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. burb1989

burb1989 Distinguished Poster

Saucier
    Normally my weekends are fairly busy enough to keep me away from the Menge flea market but I had some time Saturday morning so my mom and I went to the market trying to find anything cool (of course I was looking for good militaria). To my surprise I ended up coming away with a rather large haul. At one vendor over in one of the shacks I basically cleaned her out of every medal bar she had (many single WW2 ribbon bars and a full Vietnam bar mount with three medal bars though one of the pins was snapped off), a Navy rank tab that I don't know its age, a Marine Corps rifle expert qualification badge also of unknown age, and a vintage anti Vietnam War pin supporting Agent Orange survivors. My mom found a couple of real old Coke bottles made in Gulfport and two vintage iconic Beatles records (Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band) along with a vintage Chesterfield cigarette add from 1942 with a soldier smoking. Somehow she managed to bundle all of that together and barely paid over $30 for all of it. I found an Army rifle qualification badge from WW2 at another booth for very cheap and got a couple of plastic bill protectors for some of my vintage money that I've found in military groupings I've acquired over the years from another . Turning around from that I spotted a full three layer medal bar assembly in a case and from all of the medal bars on it the owner was in the Army in the Pacific and received the Silver Star (I think that's what the last ribbon bar is on the top mount). That one set me back $10 but it was worth it since it could still be mounted into a frame for a future display. I saw a couple other nice pieces that were priced well but I just didn't want to spend a whole lot since the military show is coming up on Friday. All in all I must've left there with a pound of vintage medal bars and some great collectibles that I normally don't find at most flea markets, making Saturday a great day to go picking at the Menge Flea Market.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Blondie70, PBWade, CajunBP and 8 others like this.
  2. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

3. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

Where is "Menge"?

Cliff731 likes this.
  4. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

5. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

SW corner of Menge Avenue and I-10, Pass Christian, MS.

6. burb1989

Saucier
    Sorry about the lack of pics. I got real tired for some reason last night and forgot to post it. Here's a pic of all of the medal bars, pins, and qualification badges I found. My mom's items are stored away with her other collectibles.
    image505.jpeg

Blondie70 likes this.
  7. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

Since you're making a display, I should let you know. Your Vietnam Campaign Medal is missing the '60- clasp. (VCM). It should look like this:

[​IMG]

FYI: Decorations issued by a foreign government are always last in order of precedence, and will always occupy the bottom right of a display as viewed by an observer. The VCM was awarded by the govt. of South Vietnam.

Nice find on the WWII ribbons from the Pacific Theater campaigns and victory medals.

2DARK2C, burb1989 and Cliff731 like this.
  8. burb1989

Saucier
    Thanks for the heads up Quickeye. I thought something was missing from it since my Dad's medal bars from Vietnam do have all of their clasps. I need to salvage those Vietnam medal bars off of the mount they are on since the mount is broken and can't be used properly (one of the pins broke off that attach it to the uniform). For now though I'll keep them in a small storage container along with my other various loose medal bars until I can either use them for a display alongside some other Vietnam grouping missing medal bars or restore a period uniform missing its medal bars.

Quickeye likes this.
  9. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

Off the top of my head, on your triple ribbon board.
    Top row first ribbon is American Campaign ribbon (stationed stateside before going overseas), then armed forces reserve ribbon.

Second row, 1st ribbon is army of occupation, 2nd is the Asiatic Pacific Theatre (PTO or APTO) with 2 campaign stars (2 major battles), last ribbon is American Defense ribbon.

3rd row all way to right is Good Conduct ribbon

Maybe more will come to me in a bit

10. burb1989

Saucier
    From what I can gather the bars are like this:
    Top row, American Campaign/ Army Reserve/ Silver Star? (Not sure on that one but it looks most similar to it)

Middle Row, Occupation Medal with Germany clasp/ Asian Pacific Campaign with two major battle stars/ Pre Pearl Harbor American Defense

Bottom row, Philippine Liberation/ WW2 Victory/ Good Conduct

11. Quickeye

This is Silver Star:

[​IMG]

12. burb1989

Saucier
    Thanks for the help Quickeye. I still can't find the one perfect match for that last medal bar on the top though so any help would be very appreciated. It would have to be higher in priority in comparison to the others to be on the top row.

Quickeye likes this.
  13. vr1967

I know of units that went from the ETO to the PTO, (my grandfather was one that did both theatres) but never heard of the opposite going PTO to ETO for occupation.

14. burb1989

Saucier
    It makes sense if the soldier in question was reassigned to another unit that was doing occupation in Germany instead of his whole unit going over.

Quickeye likes this.
  15. vr1967

I believe it is the Army Reserve Achievement Medal that is faded some (Army reserve good conduct medal)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  16. burb1989

Saucier
    Thanks for the help Quickeye. I never would've guessed that was what it was. Either way the whole set was definitely worth the $10 I paid for it.

17. vr1967

Possible but you had thousands already there, so why ship half way around the world. My grandfather went thru Europe to the Pacific and was part of the occupation forces in the Pacific.

Would love a name to research the soldier

18. Quickeye

VR1967 id'ed that one.

rigrat likes this.
  19. burb1989

Saucier
    Same here. I love named pieces in order to get better research and better preserve the history but with lack of a name it's just the assemblage of medal bars that I can preserve as a reference piece.
    As to the other quandary maybe the soldier in question wanted to transfer or be reassigned to Europe for some reason. Either way it's definitely a mystery.

20. burb1989

Saucier
    I thought the one he Id'd was in between the American Campaign and the medal bar in question. The one he Id'd is an Army Reserve ribbon of some kind from what I could find online

Quickeye likes this.