Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a G1, Encore, or G2? What are the strengths and weaknesses? What barrels do you have? I’m thinking about maybe getting one. What are your experiences?

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Go for the g2 or encore. The encore will handle higher pressure cartridges. The original contenders removed a few kneecaps cause people are knuckle heads.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember the movie, Hard Target, with Van Damme and one of the bad guys shooting one of these. They look pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Yes. I have a new Encore stainless 15 inch, 7mm08 barrel-unfired. I also have a Encore 35 Whelen rifle barrel blued to get you started. Then all you need is the frame/receiver and forend and grips or stocks.

Reactions: Steve C

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I have not deer hunted with mine yet, but I have hit a steel gong with a Contender 14 inch barrel at 200 yards with a Leupold scope and killed several deer with a 6 inch barrel Smith and Wesson model 629 open sights.

·
Registered
9,804 Posts
Hunted with a Contender for years with 30 Herrett, and 7tcu (223necked up to 7mm) barrels. Other good rounds for hunting are 6.8, 45/70, 7.62x39, 30-30 and 7/30waters. Many other wildcat rounds as well.

As far as are they accurate? Well their claim to fame was handgun silhouette where they shot these pistols at 200M with iron sights. So yeah they are pretty accurate.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
They have been a company that builds quality guns since the 60s. I started out primitive weapon hunting with their muzzleloaders back in the late 70s. In my opinion they were the best thing going then and the Contender was their first guns in the 60s. But what shocked me was 30 years ago at a friends shooting range that I made that 200 yard shot. My buddy had his scope already dialed in, all I had to do was keep from shaking and squeeze the trigger. Guys that work on their breathing and practice can outshoot the average hunter/rifle shooter, or at least shoot as good at 100-200 yards. Besides they are a good investment.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Th
Hunted with a Contender for years with 30 Herrett, and 7tcu (223necked up to 7mm) barrels. Other good rounds for hunting are 6.8, 45/70, 7.62x39, 30-30 and 7/30waters. Many other wildcat rounds as well.

As far as are they accurate? Well their claim to fame was handgun silhouette where they shot these pistols at 200M with iron sights. So yeah they are pretty accurate.
That is pretty impressive shooting that far with iron sights!

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
There was one for sale at Gold-N-Gun’s in Ridgeland and one at USA Pawn in Pearl a couple of weeks ago. No idea what calibers or the price.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've hunted with my Contender G2 with 14" barrels in 6.8 and .44 magnum with red dot sights for 6-7 years. Have taken 3 deer, all at less than 50 yards. I mostly take it to those stands where close shots are the rule.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I might like one with the 30-30 barrel.
There was one for sale at Gold-N-Gun’s in Ridgeland and one at USA Pawn in Pearl a couple of weeks ago. No idea what calibers or the price.
i need to go check those out. Thanks for the info.
I've hunted with my Contender G2 with 14" barrels in 6.8 and .44 magnum with red dot sights for 6-7 years. Have taken 3 deer, all at less than 50 yards. I mostly take it to those stands where close shots are the rule.
That’s mostly what I would use it for. I hardly ever shoot over 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I think I might like one with the 30-30 barrel.

i need to go check those out. Thanks for the info.

That’s mostly what I would use it for. I hardly ever shoot over 100 yards.
For about the same price, and virtually the same recoil you get better accuracy and terminal performance with the 6.8. Of course both kill deer reliably, but seems to me they go down quicker with the 6.8, better blood trails and many go down immediately. Of course this is only my experience and opinion and YMMV!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For about the same price, and virtually the same recoil you get better accuracy and terminal performance with the 6.8. Of course both kill deer reliably, but seems to me they go down quicker with the 6.8, better blood trails and many go down immediately. Of course this is only my experience and opinion and YMMV!
I’m not familiar with the 6.8 round. May need to check that out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts