Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gotta question guys, my go to hunting rifle is my Thompson encore 35 whelen. I love it but I’m a big guy and the length of pull is quite a bit short for me. If I could add about 3-4 inches to the stock I think it would be perfect. I’ve search several times but come up empty anyone ever modify or do something similar? Thanks for the intel.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
I wonder if you have a youth stock or a cut down stock. Did you buy it new? You really are a tall guy if you need 3” added to a full length stock.

Check with hausofarms.com. They may have something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your LOP? 3in to a normal stock would be about 16.5in LOP it would be very unwieldy
Well I’ve never measured My lop to be honest. But the butt stock needs to be longer. But when I shoulder the rifle Everything is so close. I can rest my face on my scope almost and I can reach a couple inches past the trigger. It just doesn’t fit like all my other non Thompson rifles. Lol
I wonder if you have a youth stock or a cut down stock. Did you buy it new? You really are a tall guy if you need 3” added to a full length stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I’ve never measured My lop to be honest. But the butt stock needs to be longer. But when I shoulder the rifle Everything is so close. I can rest my face on my scope almost and I can reach a couple inches past the trigger. It just doesn’t fit like all my other non Thompson rifles. Lol
No sir I’m sure it’s not a youth model. I bought it new several years ago. It’s a pro hunter with that flextech stock. I love the stock just with it was a bit longer

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use the standard flextech pro hunter thumbhole Stock, which has the longest LOP of any Thompson OEM stocks, and I put on a slip-on limbsaver to further extend the LOP. Works well for me. I have the 28” 35 whelen, 28” 308, and the 20” Katahdin in 45-70 barrels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the standard flextech pro hunter thumbhole Stock, which has the longest LOP of any Thompson OEM stocks, and I put on a slip-on limbsaver to further extend the LOP. Works well for me. I have the 28” 35 whelen, 28” 308, and the 20” Katahdin in 45-70 barrels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man that is a good idea. I sure appreciate the info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our 35 whelens are heavy thumpers. You said the scope is close to your face and that can be a black eye issue from recoil. The other improvements I’ve made are Talley mounts with incorporated rings, Leupold scopes (good eye relief), and Bellm springs. The Talley mounts make it so recoil won’t loosen ring from mount due to being one piece and also ensures a proper ring/mount installation. Completely changes and improves the gun—especially the Bellm springs. You probably know all this, but thought it prudent to mention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts