Thought provoking

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by fatgnome, May 15, 2018.

1. fatgnome

fatgnome Distinguished Poster

We were talking today at work, and the phrase "It's in God's hands now" was used, and I meant it.
    So, here is the thought provoking part :
    If you could ask God 1 question, what would it be ?, and NO you can't ask for a second question.

cruiser, Chicknman and mascott like this.
  2. gunsinger

gunsinger Distinguished Poster

Petal, MS
    Nice. You took my answer. I guess, if I’m being honest, my question would have to be, “Why?”

3. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Distinguished Poster

Yup.
    Why?
    Why was my son taken when he was just starting to really live his life?
    That would be mine.

Chicknman likes this.
  4. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

What comes after death?

fordpkup, Chicknman and Henry Bowman like this.
  5. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I know that answer Mr. Bob!

6. Leonidas

Leonidas The Beast MSGO Supporter

Louisiana
    Exactly what I was thinking. Covers everything.

cruiser, gunsinger and Chicknman like this.
  7. fatgnome

Several come to mind.
    How did you create the universe ?
    Is Heaven real ?
    Is religion a con ?
    Are our loved ones who have passed our personal Angels ?

8. Arms Lister

Arms Lister Glocks beat Rocks

Assuming that I was face to face with the Lord I would just say,"I love you!"
    The Bible already tells me that everything that happens happens for our good and His glory. It tells me that we are being conformed to His image.

9. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The question I'd ask....."why do good people struggle thru life,suffer,then die.....when the common hood rat/meth head/dope dealer live on for years regardless of what they do to themselves?"
    Its a burning question in my mind after seeing my father go thru illness and die at 56.......when I have uncles (his brothers) that are nothing but garbage,still kicking high in their 60s.

Guess it's one of the many mysteries of the universe

10. Quickeye

Tell it!!! (Mouldering in the grave???) Sure hope not. @Southern Reloading

11. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus

I ask this every day. I've been a saint and a sinner and succeeded at both. Being good pays less but the sleep is better and the retirement is eternal. I just try and be mostly polite and do unto others

12. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

You have to have FAITH. Oh yes, I would ask, So, Heavenly Father, how many other worlds did you create that have life forms that are similar to, or the same as humans.
    So, I talk to God all the time, the answer may not come as a voice of Thunder, which he also created,
    but the answer comes. I have been saved from near death before, why. I don,t believe that he saved me to help me. It was in Gods hands, my major body functions were shutting down. When I woke up 4 days later, I had tubes running out places that i won,t say on here, places that I did not know they put tubes LOL. The nurses told me in ICU, we did not think you were going to make it.I could not walk for over a week, and then it was just a couple steps.But I believe that God let me live to help one other person.My Son.
    I remember sitting outside in the summer at night mid 60s under the pecan trees with my grandmother, my great grandmother, great aunts and uncles. Look up at the stars at night and tell me that God did not create this universe.And explain how if we were closer to the sun, we would burn up, and if we were farther away, we would freeze.
    What was it like to wake up, the greatest contentment I have ever experienced.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  13. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ellis93, I have wrestled with your same question over the years. Why does God sometimes take a young person that has their life before them, or a good person that suffers in life and passes away at a age that is young by todays standards? The only thing that makes sense to me is that because those people were good that maybe he did not want them to go through any more pain here. Maybe our Heavenly Father had something for them to do in heaven.My own Dad lived to be 65 years old, but his doctor called my family in 3 times 14 years prior to that. My Dad went thru a good bit of suffering but he did get to be with us 14 more years. Before that 14 years that he had as a new lease, my Dad was a rounder, he drank heavy and chased numerous women. My Dad had 14 years more to get his life straight. I think that God let him live to be a Grandfather to my youngest son. Our life here, even if we live to be 95 like my Great Grandmother is just a blink when seen compared to eternity.The best thing that I can say is that one day I believe that we will have the answers. And through Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, one day you will be able to see your Dad again.

14. Southern Reloading

Well not being a theologian, what comes to mind first is the simple verse that fairly well sums it up very well.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave his only Begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have ever lasting life.

You can also study Revelations to see what is coming at the end of time. Very thought provoking to say the least. I think it was Deadeye above that said you must first have Faith.

As we know and have been taught, we ALL will meet our Father and answer for all of our sins. The Bible says that "every knee shall bow every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

So Andy as to your original question, I long for the day to have that opportunity, but do you think you could come before God without trembling and in total fear?

15. fatgnome

Randy,
    As for trembling and total fear, I think that comes from what is unknown. I also feel that if you know and accept God as our Father, there is nothing to fear.
    Along with Deadeye, I too, was saved from the Reaper.
    My Mom used to say that I have some special purpose here, so with that said, I don't do too many good deeds, as one could be my purpose - No, not like Steve Martin in "The Jerk".
    My wife says that I'm here for her, maybe that's my purpose, we'll see.

melmerf and Southern Reloading like this.
  16. Quickeye

I just hope I hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant";
    and wave me through the narrow gate. "For not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

17. Jeff700

Jeff700 Distinguished Poster

North MS
    AMEN! - The most sobering verse in the Bible - Matthew 7:21.

Don't bank on a "good life" or "doing good" or "living right" or "treating others right" to get into heaven. You can't earn your way into heaven.

All of these things are expected of a believer, but it doesn't mean a thing unless you have confronted your own sinfulness and repented before God, believed that Jesus lived the perfect life you didn't, and that he paid the price for your sins. Then, receive and trust in HIM as your Lord and Savior.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me". - John 14:6

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” - John 3:3

18. Southern Reloading

I agree Andy! But as many people as I have had the opportunity to have met in my life, important and powerful folks, heck I've met an talked to Ted Nugent several times, you still get a bit nervous when you know you are going to talk with them. So when I think of meeting face to face with the one person who can give all and take all--- trembling comes to mind. I do think that he would calm that fear and trembling in a fleeting moment which would bring you to total peace and comfort. This was an interesting and yes thought provoking thread. Thanks for it.

Yes Mr. Bob I too wish for those words and have heard the above many times!!

melmerf, Quickeye and senilking like this.
  19. cruiser

cruiser Distinguished Poster

If you have accepted Jesus as your Lord
    and Savior, according to Paul, to die is to be present with the Lord. That's immediately. If you are a non believer, your soul goes to a place called Hades(think Lazarus and the rich man) where you will reside untill the final judgement and then be cast into the lake of fire forever. I pray for everyone to make the correct choice.

Jeff700 likes this.
  20. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

I am a parent; a father of 4 and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I talk to my children daily. provide guidance and advice. I am a part of their lives and there can be no doubt of my presence.

So my question would be; Why do you not make your presence more known. Why require faith. Require me to come to you. Am I raising my children wrong should I have waited for them to come to me?

I know that sounds like more than one question but it really isn't it all comes down to Why do you not make your presence more known? The other questions are just to give context so my question is better understood (not by him by the people reading it here).

EDIT: another way to put it would be; Why have I not been able to ask you direct questions like this every day of my life?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    cruiser and Quickeye like this.