Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Thank a veteran.
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at trading a sidearm for another rifle this morning. All this craziness has me doing some serious thinking and I’m wondering where y’all are on this. It’s no secret ammo has become scarce to the 10th power. I have plenty for the pistol as I have several in that caliber. The rifle I’m looking at is a 300 blackout single shot. At best I can get my hands on 60 rounds. Is this the worst possible time to add a new rifle to my safe bc of where things are heading or should I roll the dice ? What say you??

·
Premium Member
13,313 Posts
Buy it. I’ve got dozens of different calibers. Should always be able to find ammo for some of them.

Plus who come to a gun forum and expects to be told not to buy another gun!!! :)

·
Thank a veteran.
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy it. I’ve got dozens of different calibers. Should always be able to find ammo for some of them.

Plus who come to a gun forum and expects to be told not to buy another gun!!! :)
Touche’ 😂😂 It’s a timing thing.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I’m looking at trading a sidearm for another rifle this morning. All this craziness has me doing some serious thinking and I’m wondering where y’all are on this. It’s no secret ammo has become scarce to the 10th power. I have plenty for the pistol as I have several in that caliber. The rifle I’m looking at is a 300 blackout single shot. At best I can get my hands on 60 rounds. Is this the worst possible time to add a new rifle to my safe bc of where things are heading or should I roll the dice ? What say you??
As I understand it, the .300 BO is very close ballistically to the 7.62x39. There are handy, smallish (carbinesh) bolt guns (Howa and CZ along with Zastava and others) available in 7.62x39 (no single shots that I know of) and (so far) the price gouging has been much lower and the availability of 7.62x39 has remained much better than many other rounds.

If you get a .300 BO (or even a 7.62x39 in the longer run if you want heavier bullet loads akin to the .300 BO), you would probably be much better off handloading (if you can get brass, primers, powder, and bullets), but with one single shot rifle that should be somewhat easier since you should be able to use neck sizing dies for most resizing. Primers would be the hardest to obtain right now, though powder appears to be drying up quickly as well.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,256 Posts
Why can't you only get your hands on 60 rounds? Just looked at ammo seek 300blk is available in steel and brass and high 1.00-2.00 a round, but available.
I wouldn't buy a firearm I didn't have ammo for or if it wasn't available for even at high prices.

Reactions: Low Rider

·
Thank a veteran.
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why can't you only get your hands on 60 rounds? Just looked at ammo seek 300blk is available in steel and brass and high 1.00-2.00 a round, but available.
I wouldn't buy a firearm I didn't have ammo for or if it wasn't available for even at high prices.
My nephew had 60 so I got it for now. I’ll start shopping for more today.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A man should own a service grade handgun in 9mm, a quality ar-15 in 556 and 30 caliber bolt gun with good glass with a stockpile of ammo for these. Anything else is just toys that one can stack deep as they can afford.

·
Thank a veteran.
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A man should own a service grade handgun in 9mm, a quality ar-15 in 556 and 30 caliber bolt gun with good glass with a stockpile of ammo for these. Anything else is just toys that one can stack deep as they can afford.
CHECK, CHECK AND CHECK....

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts

Will have to agree with this too.....
However, one thing (IMO) that should be considered is that you (we) should have at least 1 (at least 1) rifle and at least 1 (at least1) pistol which are capable of firing the current issued service rounds...... plus a 7.62X39 even though it is not our service round. The reason should be obvious.

After that - sky is the limit

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
1st of all congrats to @Low Rider for what looks to be a nice rifle. Is the muzzle threaded? It looks to be but can't quite tell in the photo. I was slow to get on the .300BO wagon but glad I did. I do think a person will get more advantage out of it if they reload. I built mine because the cartridge was designed to be suppressed, and works better in that role than a 5.56 IMO.

If you get a .300 BO (or even a 7.62x39 in the longer run if you want heavier bullet loads akin to the .300 BO), you would probably be much better off handloading
Agreed. I think today every serious gun owner should have a 7.62x39 carbine of some sort in addition to the standard NATO calibres. I have had good luck loading cast boolits (.303 British) for subsonic 7.62x39 loads out of my AR and the Wife's AK.

·
Registered
684 Posts
In my humble opinion if you have a caliber firearm (centerfire rifle) you need a minimum of 500 rounds for it 22lr. Well as much as you have room for and about the same for shotgun. Centerfire pistol maybe 750-1000 rounds May sound like a lot But in the past doing this (and maybe a little more sure has kept my anxiety down the last few years

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only reason I have a 300 BLK is because I am getting a silencer for it (currently in silencer prison). If you aren't looking to invest in a silencer I would go with 7.62x39 all day, every day. It can do everything 300 BLK can do cheaper and better, unless you are looking to silence it. That's my .02.

·
Thank a veteran.
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my humble opinion if you have a caliber firearm (centerfire rifle) you need a minimum of 500 rounds for it 22lr. Well as much as you have room for and about the same for shotgun. Centerfire pistol maybe 750-1000 rounds May sound like a lot But in the past doing this (and maybe a little more sure has kept my anxiety down the last few years
Im definitely ok on ammo.. Lol I learned a lesson back during Sandy Hook.

·
Thank a veteran.
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1st of all congrats to @Low Rider for what looks to be a nice rifle. Is the muzzle threaded? It looks to be but can't quite tell in the photo. I was slow to get on the .300BO wagon but glad I did. I do think a person will get more advantage out of it if they reload. I built mine because the cartridge was designed to be suppressed, and works better in that role than a 5.56 IMO.

Agreed. I think today every serious gun owner should have a 7.62x39 carbine of some sort in addition to the standard NATO calibres. I have had good luck loading cast boolits (.303 British) for subsonic 7.62x39 loads out of my AR and the Wife's AK.
Yes Sir, it’s threaded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts