Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, tonight my 62-yr old sister in a NE BLUE state asked me for a (budget) CCW 9mm gun recommendation.

She has a current CCW permit in her own state.

No children or grandchildren at home -- just her and my BIL -- and is in good health.

Not a gun owner currently. Said she wants a 9mm, not a .380 or .38 SPC.

I told her that now was NOT the time to be gun or ammo shopping, but ...I recommended these two, in-stock, budget 9mm's to her:

I explained the online "buying/FFL transfer" process, and recommended the try before you buy, etc.

Thoughts or comments?

ETA: No Kel-Tec suggestions, please!

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,154 Posts
I've no experience with either but often have wondered about the Remington.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,154 Posts
Canik TP9, one series.

Reactions: infosponge and 7557

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
S&W Shield
Shield 2.0
Shield EZ in 9mm.
Those were my top recommendations, but were all out of her price range.

I know: can you put a price tag on your life, right?

If I wasn't 1,000 miles away I'd legally gift her one of my 9mm's. State lines would be involved, blah blah blah

Maybe I will - my local FFL to her local FFL.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Wondered good or bad about it?
Wondered bad. They had massive QC issues when they first came out. They did release a version 2.0, but they still have some QC issues, as is common with new Remingtons. I've several reports of the slide being hard to rack on a full mag (Gun Review: Remington R51 v 2.0, Take Two - The Truth About Guns), which might be a problem for women. There's other issues like rust straight out of the box.

What kind of budget is she looking at? You said the Shield was too expensive, but those can be had for around $300-$350. Well, could in the pre-'rona days. Some places like PSA still put the v.1.0 Shield on sale for those types of prices.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, considering how much I dislike them, but the Taurus G2C and G3C seem to have really good reviews, and seem to be really reliable.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wondered bad. They had massive QC issues when they first came out. They did release a version 2.0, but they still have some QC issues, as is common with new Remingtons. I've several reports of the slide being hard to rack on a full mag (Gun Review: Remington R51 v 2.0, Take Two - The Truth About Guns), which might be a problem for women. There's other issues like rust straight out of the box.

What kind of budget is she looking at? You said the Shield was too expensive, but those can be had for around $300-$350. Well, could in the pre-'rona days. Some places like PSA still put the v.1.0 Shield on sale for those types of prices.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, considering how much I dislike them, but the Taurus G2C and G3C seem to have really good reviews, and seem to be really reliable.
Steve2112-

Her budget is generally <$300 for the gun, before tax and FFL transfer fee. It will be her purse queen, IMO.

I EDC a Shield9 alternating with my Glock 43X..

I thought long and hard about recommending a Taurus G2C or G3C to her. I just couldn't do it, and I owned a G2C once.

The Taurus may be the in-stock, budget option for her though. For example:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Steve2112-

Her budget is generally <$300 for the gun, before tax and FFL transfer fee. It will be her purse queen, IMO.

I EDC a Shield9 alternating with my Glock 43X..

I thought long and hard about recommending a Taurus G2C or G3C to her. I just couldn't do it, and I owned a G2C once.

The Taurus may be the in-stock, budget option for her though. For example:

Thanks.
PSA actually has the first gen Shield in stock, but it's $329 before FFL fees and such.

I agree that the Taurus might be the best available option.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I’d stay away from the Remington

Considering not a gun person I’d have to say ez shield 9mm but they aren’t cheap.

if she can find one in stock locally so she can make sure she can work the slide etc I’d try Taurus G2C

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
She seems to know what she wants in general terms, but I would ask her a question and make a 1st move suggestion: ask her if she would be comfortable carrying an autoloader with a round in the chamber all the time (explain that if she needs the gun there probably won't be time to work slides, etc.); then suggest that she go to a gun shop and try working the slides on a few autoloaders. I found that many ladies who came into my shop were not comfortable carrying a loaded chamber and that many of them had trouble working the slide...I would then suggest a J-framed size .38 special and sell them a box of 148gr. wadcutters for it, because they have mild recoil and at short distances are quite effective on people. She could go to a hotter round after she has a bit more experience.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
9,440 Posts
I love the Canik, but it's above the budget he stated. Also, the SF probably too big for her to purse carry.
Some women carry short of suitcases for purses so never know lol.
And if was my family member I believe I would spot them a 20 or two in order to get something much better especially if life may depend on it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts