Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I have two questions?
How familiar is she with semiautomatic pistols?
Why not a revolver?
Great questions.

She is totally unfamiliar with firearms. Period. Not semiauto pistols or revolvers -- but she has a CCW permit in her state (don't ask!).

Trust me. I gave her the get educated, try before you buy at a gun shop or range, get training, get a proper holster, etc. talks. Hey, she's 62 y.o. though. She knows.

She is one of these new woke wannabe gun buyers ... think the St. Louis McCloskeys, but not millionaires! But I love her.

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
Great questions.

She is totally unfamiliar with firearms. Period. Not semiauto pistols or revolvers -- but she has a CCW permit in her state (don't ask!).

Trust me. I gave her the get educated, try before you buy at a gun shop or range, get training, get a proper holster, etc. talks. Hey, she's 62 y.o. though. She knows.

She is one of these new woke wannabe gun buyers ... think the St. Louis McCloskeys, but not millionaires! But love her.
Reason I ask hand strength (gripping slide to rack one in) and able to push rounds in a mag. Some are an absolute PITA to stuff......with or without a loader.
Another thing is,if she’s in a stressful situation......what’s easier to work?

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks to everyone for their comments, suggestions and feedback.

I'll see what she wants to do next, or if she can move a bit on her gun budget.

I'm seriously considering gifting her one of my smaller 9mm's w/mags in-state FFL to out-of-state FFL.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Some women carry short of suitcases for purses so never know lol.
And if was my family member I believe I would spot them a 20 or two in order to get something much better especially if life may depend on it.
First time gun owners are more likely to be intimidated by something the size of the TP9. There is a TPSC that is more concealable, but they tend to run around $400, if you can find them in stock. The Shield at PSA for $330 would be a good choice if he could throw in a few bucks.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
Wondered good or bad about it?
Ellis has one and seems to like it pretty good. I've checked his out and it has a pretty good trigger on it and they seem to get good reviews all over the internet.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
I love the Canik, but it's above the budget he stated. Also, the SF probably too big for her to purse carry.
You can get them for about $310 before tax and transfer. Get the 15 round version size of a G19.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Oh, by the way, remember that if she isn't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber or has trouble working the slides, they do chamber double-action revolvers in 9mm now.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
You can get them for about $310 before tax and transfer. Get the 15 round version size of a G19.
That's what I paid for mine a couple of years ago, but from what I've seen, the prices have been creeping up. Even the one posted earlier was $340 for the One version, which only comes with one mag. Mine has 18 round mags, so maybe it's bigger than the other ones. I thought mine was the SF version. There is the SC sub-compact version, but it's new and more expensive.

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
That's what I paid for mine a couple of years ago, but from what I've seen, the prices have been creeping up. Even the one posted earlier was $340 for the One version, which only comes with one mag. Mine has 18 round mags, so maybe it's bigger than the other ones. I thought mine was the SF version. There is the SC sub-compact version, but it's new and more expensive.
I've had my eye on them for a couple months. The G19 size one with one mag stays about $310 on grabagun.com when they have them in stock. It and the full size like you got usually are around that price. They get the SC for $379-$389 when they are in stock.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
LOL, just checked they indeed seem to have went up 20-40 dollars on the various models.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
LOL, just checked they indeed seem to have went up 20-40 dollars on the various models.
Yeah, they jacked up prices, and then came out with the "One" models that only come with one mag. Mine came with two mags and a holster.

Reactions: rigrat

·
Rational Anarchist
14,132 Posts
Personally, I’d get a Taurus G2 or G3 over the Remington.

...but this is strictly based on the reviews I’ve seen online of those models.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm going to jump in on the revolver option. Or at least make sure it's a double action semi. But if she's completely new to guns and isn't going to get a couple years practice in, a revolver is mostly ignorant proof. Pull the trigger, gun goes bang.

A semi with safeties and complications can quickly become a liability if someone can't figure out how to shoot it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, tonight my 62-yr old sister in a NE BLUE state asked me for a (budget) CCW 9mm gun recommendation.

She has a current CCW permit in her own state.

No children or grandchildren at home -- just her and my BIL -- and is in good health.

Not a gun owner currently. Said she wants a 9mm, not a .380 or .38 SPC.

I told her that now was NOT the time to be gun or ammo shopping, but ...I recommended these two, in-stock, budget 9mm's to her:

I explained the online "buying/FFL transfer" process, and recommended the try before you buy, etc.

Thoughts or comments?

ETA: No Kel-Tec suggestions, please!
The taurus g2c is actually a decent gun. Its not fancy by any means but mine works. The new g3c comes with 3 mags also. Another one to look for would be a ruger ec9s. Before the virus and riots it hovered around 220 bucks. No idea about now. As others have stated the caniks are super good guns for the price point. The TP9SF elite one used to sell for around 300. Only one mag. Have not ever shot a r51 but from the online reviews ive seen i'd take a hard pass on that one.

Good luck .

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The taurus g2c is actually a decent gun. Its not fancy by any means but mine works. The new g3c comes with 3 mags also. Another one to look for would be a ruger ec9s. Before the virus and riots it hovered around 220 bucks. No idea about now. As others have stated the caniks are super good guns for the price point. The TP9SF elite one used to sell for around 300. Only one mag. Have not ever shot a r51 but from the online reviews ive seen i'd take a hard pass on that one.

Good luck .

Great price for the Ruger EC9s at PSA -- even with tax! Thanks.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yeah, not the Remington. I wouldn't really trust an R51 for that (too many lemons). IME the R51s are kinda quirky. The SAR would be a much more reliable choice, IMO. For CCW carry, if she's got ~$500ish to spend, I'd look at the SIG P365MS (saw some advertised at grabagun.com or Preppers a few days ago). For pocket carry, an Alabama Holster ($40 + $8 S&H). For purse carry, they sell CCW purses, but I don't know anything about them. I pocket carry so I don't know anything about the other CCW body holsters.

·
Senior Curmudgeon
579 Posts
At that price point and training/experience level, I'd recommend a good used 4" 38 spec revolver loaded with 158 gr lead HP+P (often called the NY load). An old S&W M10 with bobbed hammer and round butt would fit in most women's purses. Since she doesn't know anything about guns, the anti-38spec bias must come from someone who knows someone who read something. Anything smaller or 9mm auto is going to go over 300.

Reactions: 7557 and maxhush

·
Registered
260 Posts
Check out a Kahr TP9 (full size plastic frame) I bought one new last year for $250. Trigger pull is a little longer than Glocks & the like, which may make it a little safer for non-experienced shooter.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'd pick up a good used S&W M10 or M36 and you'd still have cash for a box of 158gr HP.
Revolvers seem less intimidating to a novice.

Reactions: 7557
21 - 40 of 71 Posts