Mississippi Gun Owners banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd pick up a good used S&W M10 or M36 and you'd still have cash for a box of 158gr HP.
Revolvers seem less intimidating to a novice.
Good deal on this canik, only 20 bucks more than she wanted to spend.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Personally, I could not see myself now without a SIG P365 with a 365 xl grip module. I have never been a Taurus fan until the TX-22 came along, but the Taurus G2C is great little gun, and you can also still find one used for cheaper, even today.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
She bought a Ruger EC9s. Not much else in stock at her price point.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
It may not be the sexiest choice out there but its a solid pistol built on a proven platform. I think its a good buy especially in the current state of things.
Agree.

For it's design and purpose, it's an OK choice for her. With the current state of things gun availability-wise, it seemed like a good choice for her. She'll always be just a one-gun novice buyer.

My brother in the same state will give her some FMJ and JHP ammo for it once she gets her gun.

She's agreed that she'll take some training and get some range time with it too.

And ... she got free shipping to her FFL and no sales tax on it!

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Just make sure the state (or neighboring states she may travel in frequently) doesn’t outlaw HP as I know several do. I think federal makes some expanding fmj for those states and I don’t know how Hornady CD is viewed but may be an option.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,952 Posts
Just make sure the state (or neighboring states she may travel in frequently) doesn’t outlaw HP as I know several do. I think federal makes some expanding fmj for those states and I don’t know how Hornady CD is viewed but may be an option.
What states ban HP ammo?
NJ is the only one I can find that does.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Thanks. I checked first actually, and my brother lives in the same BLUE state as my sister.

Ammo Regulations
  • Separate charges are given to crimes that show an attempt or intention of using a KTW Teflon-coated bullet and/or armor piercing ammo
  • There are no other current regulations on the possession and transfers of ammo
I'm also working down a "strong suggestions" list with her: ammo, always CARRY, spare mag, safe/lock box, holster, and training/education (know the law).

[She has her state's carry permit.]

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Fortunately, I was also able to find some quantity-limited FMJ and JHP 9mm ammo online for her.

Sellier & Bellot and Sig Sauer ammo.

·
Registered
980 Posts
So, tonight my 62-yr old sister in a NE BLUE state asked me for a (budget) CCW 9mm gun recommendation.

She has a current CCW permit in her own state.

No children or grandchildren at home -- just her and my BIL -- and is in good health.

Not a gun owner currently. Said she wants a 9mm, not a .380 or .38 SPC.

I told her that now was NOT the time to be gun or ammo shopping, but ...I recommended these two, in-stock, budget 9mm's to her:

I explained the online "buying/FFL transfer" process, and recommended the try before you buy, etc.

Thoughts or comments?

ETA: No Kel-Tec suggestions, please!
For the $$ the Tarus G2c or better yet G3C if you can find one, is hard to beat. They will hang with any of the others at a lower price point.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
burninfilmpost: 1574275 said:
For the $$ the Tarus G2c or better yet G3C if you can find one, is hard to beat. They will hang with any of the others at a lower price point.
I was leading her towards both of them, in-stock at the time, and at some very decent prices.

She kept hesitating. I used to own a G2C myself and loved it.

She ended up buying a Ruger EC9s mainly because it was in-stock when she was ready to buy. She'll be fine with it.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
The Ruger EC9 is a good choice; she'll be fine with it. One that no one mentioned is the SCCY; also a good choice and of course the Taurus either G2 or G3. Those would be my top 3 choices for a budget 9mm that I would trust my life to.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
The Ruger EC9 is a good choice; she'll be fine with it. One that no one mentioned is the SCCY; also a good choice and of course the Taurus either G2 or G3. Those would be my top 3 choices for a budget 9mm that I would trust my life to.
I had the SCCY CPX-2 on the short list for her (I had owned a CPX-1). They're still priced at around $250 or so. She didn't seem interested.

She should pick up her Ruger from her local FFL sometime this week. Then the real education and training work begin!

ETA:
She just signed up for a women-only NRA class (w/range time) in her area later this month!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Of the two the OP listed, I'd go with the SAR, hands down. The Remington R51 is, IMO, quirky. To me the grip is also oddly shaped, narrow, and directs more recoil force into the web of your hand. The (within the last year or two) one I got is mostly reliable, but I recall occasional failures to feed from the last time I took it out to the range. They made some interesting choices internally (one of the parts that serves the function of a "spring" is plastic instead of a metal, you'll know this if you disassemble one and see the bright neon green "spring"). I got mine (after the bugs were supposedly ironed out) mainly due to the curiosity of the action. Getting them back together from field stripping can also be quirky. I got mine (new) cheap. I wouldn't trust my life to it and I wouldn't really recommend it as a range gun. Of budget smallish Remington pistols, I'd consider the RM380 a far more reliable pistol.

The CZ75 and it's clones (like the SARs) almost always turn out good, IME.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Of the two the OP listed, I'd go with the SAR, hands down. The Remington R51 is, IMO, quirky. To me the grip is also oddly shaped, narrow, and directs more recoil force into the web of your hand. The (within the last year or two) one I got is mostly reliable, but I recall occasional failures to feed from the last time I took it out to the range. They made some interesting choices internally (one of the parts that serves the function of a "spring" is plastic instead of a metal, you'll know this if you disassemble one and see the bright neon green "spring"). I got mine (after the bugs were supposedly ironed out) mainly due to the curiosity of the action. Getting them back together from field stripping can also be quirky. I got mine (new) cheap. I wouldn't trust my life to it and I wouldn't really recommend it as a range gun. Of budget smallish Remington pistols, I'd consider the RM380 a far more reliable pistol.

The CZ75 and it's clones (like the SARs) almost always turn out good, IME.
My R51 is post "fix" too and it's still junk. I really wanted a pre fix one but they dried up quick and I was a little late pulling the trigger. Should be a pretty rare gun in a few years though.

Reactions: maxhush

·
Registered
631 Posts
Shield, Shield 2.0, and Shield EZ would be at the top of my list for women or people with week grip. That is if in budget.

If that is not your budget, here is another vote for the Taurus G2C, G3C, G2S, Sccy CPX-1 and CPX-2.

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
1,996 Posts
I have two questions?
How familiar is she with semiautomatic pistols?
Why not a revolver?
Agree with Ellis if she’s never had a gun and because of having to “work “ the slide a revolver would be the better choice and also loads of choices in her price range IMO

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Agree with Ellis if she’s never had a gun and because of having to “work “ the slide a revolver would be the better choice and also loads of choices in her price range IMO
She is unfamiliar with guns. Revolvers were out of her price range in the current market environment.

She's taking an NRA class w/range time in two weeks, and wants to shoot her new Ruger 9mm then. That should help her gun familiarity and confidence.

ETA: I was looking for a hammerless S&W Airweight or Ladysmith .38 for her. No luck at her price point. I also looked at some .380's.

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,296 Posts
She is unfamiliar with guns. Revolvers were out of her price range in the current market environment.

She's taking an NRA class w/range time in two weeks, and wants to shoot her new Ruger 9mm then. That should help her gun familiarity and confidence.

ETA: I was looking for a hammerless S&W Airweight or Ladysmith .38 for her. No luck at her price point. I also looked at some .380's.
Oh but Taurus still has sub $300 38's and a $300 - 357 or was a month ago, LOL.

Reactions: Tim18wheels
41 - 60 of 71 Posts