Mississippi Gun Owners banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Oh but Taurus still has sub $300 38's and a $300 - 357 or was a month ago, LOL.
A .357 for a first-time female gun buyer? Seriously? SMH.

Truth be told -- as her big brother and being fully-retired - while surfing the web for revolver deals (for her) I came across a couple of good Taurus deals.

She passed on Taurus. She wanted a hammerless S&W for under $300. [Good luck with that in the current market!]

I bought one -- a Taurus 856 .38 Special +P -- for myself. It's my first revolver, but not my first Taurus. Still NIB.

See here:
What did you buy today??????
Post #1804

I have no problems with Taurus! I've owned several Taurus semiauto pistols: .380ACP, 9mm and .40S&W.

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
A .357 for a first-time female gun buyer? Seriously? SMH.

Truth be told -- as her big brother and being fully-retired - while surfing the web for revolver deals (for her) I came across a couple of good Taurus deals.

She passed on Taurus. She wanted a hammerless S&W for under $300. [Good luck with that in the current market!]

I bought one -- a Taurus 856 .38 Special +P -- for myself. It's my first revolver, but not my first Taurus. Still NIB.

See here:
What did you buy today??????
Post #1804

I have no problems with Taurus! I've owned several Taurus semiauto pistols: .380ACP, 9mm and .40S&W.
I have a 13yr old girl that’ll shoot enough 357 to make your wallet puke 🤢
It’s a mindset thing.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
?? you recommended a 38spl, so whats the balk at a 357, she shoots 38s in it, but if time arises ,and or her profeciency- she has capability of 357.
Yes Mesquite .357 indeed.
The .38 as a rule is a bit lighter-I'll give them that. But I always suggest a .357 for just the reasons you mentioned. The Nurse's back up is a mod 66 that was her father's. She shoots.38+p's through it. I make her shoot 12 .357 every time we take it out. It's loaded with 158 grn JHP .357. If she needs it, she ain't gonna notice the difference in recoil/noise.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I have a 13yr old girl that’ll shoot enough 357 to make your wallet puke 🤢
It’s a mindset thing.
Raisin' her right E.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
It's been 50 years since my sister was 13.

To her credit, she also joined the NRA. I signed her up to The Well Armed Woman website.

(I warned her to expect the NRA fundraising and junk mail e-mail and mail barrage ...)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Here are my recommendations. Stay with name brands like Glock, S&W, Sig, Walther, Ruger, etc. For a revolver, stick with either Ruger or Smith. The Ruger LCR in .327 is a great option. The ammo is a little harder to find on the shelf, but you can shoot 32H&R Mag for self defense and the 32 S&W Long or 32 S&W for practice.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Update on this from the OP (me).

My younger sister (63 y.o.) completed her 5-hr gun class today in another state (NE US/Blue state).

It was an NRA 'Women on Target' class. Classroom time and range time.

2 primary instructors; 2 assistant coaches for 15 learners.

She used their gun, their ammo, their targets, and their eye & ear protection -- all for $35.00!

And no gun cleaning afterwards!

She enjoyed it and learned a lot. First-time shooter and first-time gun owner.

She now has her permit, an NRA membership and her own firearm (Ruger EC9s), FMJ & JHP ammo, and 2 spare mags.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts