Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the cold and wet weather we had up here this spring I didn’t get my tomatoes planted until mid April this year, they are doing good and I just planted some more for later tomatoes, I planted in ground and in cattle lick tubs, using the self wicking method, hope everyone has a good garden this year, post your pictures and how you grow tomatoes.
BDCFD768-55B9-454E-8A9D-6CDAB45B197D.jpeg
8D3AAE31-99AF-4C56-971C-E07A7A6954C1.jpeg
E671CCFD-295A-42BD-8E33-FABCAD7D27D3.jpeg
C8A84B4B-EA8D-47FC-9BBF-F4D40B10BF6C.jpeg

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Looking good.
I got a late start too. Tomatoes are up, some have been tied 3 times and some once. Have blooms on 4 plants. Setting up the watering buckets this week.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,998 Posts
What variety are they, OP?

And what on Earth will you do with so many tomatoes? Do you sell them somewhere like a fruit stand?

I have 8 indeterminate tomato plants in my small garden. Mostly Better Boy variety. They are about shoulder high and have lots of green tomatoes on them about tennis ball size. I have picked 3 ripe ones.

Oh, and I have 2 "Sweet 100" plants. They have been bearing ripe salad tomatoes for a week or two.

We have been overrun with (and giving away) snap beans and squash. We gave away English peas a while back, but I pulled them up the other day so I could plant butterbeans and crowder peas.

Okra seeds will go in the ground tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canebreaker I think you and me are two of a few of members up here next to the Tennessee state line, the weather and temperatures are completely different up here than in the central and south part of the state, we get cold temperatures and sleet, snow, every year and it does nothing south of us, hope your tomatoes do good this year

Joe, thanks we have a pressure cooker that was made in the 40’s or older, we can allot of tomatoes every year, we also make allot of salsa, relish, soups, etc. Joe I still have your address if my tomatoes make a good crop I am going to ship you a box of these good home grown north Mississippi tomatoes

NRA-guy, I always plant way to many tomatoes my wife says, I love growing a big garden and tomatoes, I have some bottom land that I grew sweet corn, purple hull peas, watermelons etc in for years but the damn deer ate and destroyed most of the crops so I stopped planting in the bottom truck patches,

My favorite tomato is Jet Star, I also plant early girl, celebriy, beef steak, my favorite big tomato is Goliath, my favorite cherry tomato is sweet millions, I should sell them but what we don’t put up I give them away to friends and family

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ones you in large pots look good, it’s had to see in the Picture of the wilted tomato plant, there are several tomato blights we have here in the south that make the tomatoes wilt, most of the the leaves will start turning yellow from the bottom some have black spots, the first thing I thank of is tomato getting a nuff water ? That’s the easy one

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
We grow a lot of cherry tomatoes, though we also have medium and larger varieties, nowhere near as much as @oldwelder . I forget the varieties of mediums but know we have celebrity and better boy.
This year we tried something new: "Midnight Snack" cherry tomatoes. Very interesting and a wonderful tart taste. They are black everywhere the sun hits, you have to watch the bottom or any shaded portion of the fruit for signs of it to turn reddish. It will get redder when you pick them and bring them in. The black color comes from the same antioxidants in blueberries and red wine grapes.
On the vine:

Ripe ones. The black 'recedes' and the red color spreads within a few hours of bringing them out of the sun:

There were about 15 or 20 in that bowl but someone made salad before I got around to taking a photo...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HerrZnK I have seen those black cherry tomatoes in the seed catalogs I get, after seeing yours I am going to try some of those next year, my wife puts up whole cherry tomatoes in one gallon freezer bags in the freezer and cooks with all winter the are good

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
@oldwelder you will enjoy them, they have a tangy, citrus taste. If you want send me a PM and I'll send you a few seeds, maybe you could get a few to grow this season. I dry tomato seeds on a coffee filter and then tear it into pieces, plant the paper and all. I've saved a few from the ones we've harvested so far, haven't tried to grow new ones from these but I usually have good results with other types of tomatoes.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tomato update, tomatoes are doing good after the flooding we got up here two weeks ago, I got 16-1/2” of rain from that Sunday night till Wednesday, I lost 5 or 6 tomato plants and have replanted them, today I am pruning and cutting back the tomato plants, they are loaded with green tomatoes should be getting ripe soon, squash, zucchinI, cucumbers, peppers are also doing good I have been picking them ever day.
C6A84597-F993-4D27-94B5-66BA6B50E0BA.jpeg
22F2E5C7-C267-445B-BE88-549D59CC7E11.jpeg
5C45FB19-612B-4992-9FE3-40201815231F.jpeg
A2B75129-2925-4E33-B60E-BEEB4C4777F0.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts