Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
Pears are good dehydrated. Very sweet....talking about eating pears...not the hard canning pears. Figs are really good dehydrated. Tomatoes sound good but they really have a lot of water in 'em....lots of time to dehy, I would think.
I bet some of those canning tomatoes like ROMA don't have all the water the others do and would be easy to dehy.
I dehy figs and make fig preserves...really easy on the preserves , as one does not need a hot water bath ...just cook 'em and put in jars. I do it the easy way if I can...ha.
Just got a 5 tray Excalibre Dehydrator. Dried a 1lb of okra last. Have lots if pears on tree, will be trying. Also dried some jalapenos last night .
Tomatoes require 20-24 hrs for most part.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My tomatoes stared turning red and ripe this week, my cucumbers, squash, zucchini and peppers are loaded, pickled these two boxes yesterday evening
At this point, not letting them go to waste is the hard part. At least it is for me. I pick the yellow squash small and we eat them nearly every day. Cucumbers and zucchini seem to triple in size overnight and are easy to miss when harvesting. At some point the neighbors will even hate to see me. My 91 year old mother eats tomatoes every day. What ever I slice(no matter how many) that is how much she will eat.

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
At this point, not letting them go to waste is the hard part. At least it is for me. I pick the yellow squash small and we eat them nearly every day. Cucumbers and zucchini seem to triple in size overnight and are easy to miss when harvesting. At some point the neighbors will even hate to see me. My 91 year old mother eats tomatoes every day. What ever I slice(no matter how many) that is how much she will eat.
[/QUOTE
tried a recipe of sliced zucchini (crosswise), layed out on baking sheet, seasoned, poured acrambled eggs( i used doz duck eggs), browned daar sausage sprinkled over top. Bake 350 about 15-20 min. top wit shredded cheese, continue baking till cheese sets.
you can roll it up & slice or just scoop out pan.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
11,044 Posts
@oldwelder
What variety is the yellow squash that has a green lower end in the photo?

I got a few plants that look like that this year. The package was supposed to be regular yellow squash. Apparently some other variety of seeds got in the package.

They are very good for cooking and eating.

Maybe zephyr straight neck:

Zephyr - (F1) Yellow Summer Squash Seed | Johnny's Selected Seeds

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
No matter how early I plant seeds my tomatoes won't make early. I think the cold during Feb got mine this year. We would like to have fresh tomatoes for the first of July, but it seems that my birthday is as early as I can get. I have 5 huge green tomatoes now and lots of smaller ones.
NRA, they get seeds mixed up at the factory for sure. Talking to a lady at the store yesterday. She planted a pack of spinless okra. Half of her plants are producing purple okra. I planted Black Krim seeds one year and got golf ball sized round red tomatoes.

·
Registered
792 Posts
@oldwelder Randy that garden harvest looks amazing. I know the rain was hard but it sure did help those crops produce. My wife does not can squash or zucchini she slices it with a mandolin and freezes it in quart size bags. Tomatoes, cukes, beans, and what's ever else gets canned. I have a friend with some mulberry trees and we are going to pick this weekend and make jam and compote. I think that is what it is called, compote? I know it as chunky syrup.

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
Garden, much smaller: but, canned 2 qts green beans, night before; made 2 pints of tomato paste yesterday.
Got few cukes from our garden to mandolin slice & put in dehydrator.

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Planted Cherokee Purple and the plants are full of tomatoes and are dying. This is the last time I will mess with them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Planted Cherokee Purple and the plants are full of tomatoes and are dying. This is the last time I will mess with them.
My Cherokee Purples have been great this year. Other varieties are loaded also. I'm sharing tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers everyday; have way more than I can use. It's an amazing year for me for gardening. No insects or disease. I haven't sprayed for either in several weeks. I'll probably never see this kind of garden again in my life time.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
I checked my tomatoes Friday morning before heading out for the weekend. One of the Black Krim had a touch of red to it. This morning it could be picked, but leave it for a day or 2 to ripen more.
Talking with a cousin from Bruce, MS, they lost all the tomato plants during the flooding rains earlier this year.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts