1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
1900fps 78gn pill out of a 45acp! Oh Lort! 😂

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
60gr. in .40 were as I'm shooting 165gr.78gr in .45 were as I'm shooting 230gr.Don't know how that works.

·
Premium Member
14,380 Posts
I think it was PMC or Aguila that sold a 45 Auto round with light polymer bullet with huge hollow point that was screaming fast. I have one 20rd box, but I can't put my hands on it now.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Anybody familiar with this stuff? Seems a tad too good to be true.
While not familiar with the company, the concept is like all lightweight solid copper fragmenting loads. Shallow penetration for much larger wound cavities and temporary cavities. Which, in most handgun bullets is irrelevant but at the velocities they push temporary cavity starts to become permanent.

Can't speak of how this ammo is but I've used similar rounds like G2 Research Telos, Liberty Civil Defense, and etc. The Liberty in .45 Colt is very impressive in terms of damage. So, if you're after that sort of round or looking for a pistol cartridge that can zip through NIJ 3A soft body armor in a duty length barrel handgun, this stuff will get the job done.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,492 Posts
I like Gold Dots but also like the Liberty ammo.

Reactions: Christopher S.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like Gold Dots but also like the Liberty ammo.
There was a time when I bought into what all the people were saying about how ammo like Liberty was a huge waste. Then I started my own testing of it and found my results either varied quite significantly from others, or that the concerns they placed would be invalid. A great example, I was shooting 10mm at the time and got a box of that stuff. Managed to get some actual 10% ballistics gel from a company that supplies the FBI for their testing. It ripped a nearly hole from entry 3 1/2 inches around and at the widest point inside the block was nearly 6 1/2 inches.

Of course, people tried to say that it wouldn't become a permanent wound cavity because the velocity levels. Was pushing barely over 2,000 fps in a 4.63 inch barrel. While I've heard numbers quoted saying it needs to be around 2,200 fps or faster, my research has shown it starts around 1,600 but becomes drastically noticeable at 2,000 or faster. Which the magic number to beat 3A soft body armor is around 1,550 to 1,600 with most handgun bullets. Of course shape/weight/material matter too. That said... a hole that big in somebody is going to bleed out awful fast. Plus, nothing stopping you from firing a second shot.

So I came to the conclusion... if I shoot a guy 3 times with Gold Dots vs another guy with 3 shots of Liberty. Does it matter which I shot them with if the end result is the fight ending? I do appreciate the lower muzzle rise for faster follow up shots it brings to the table too. Not the end all be all of bullets for sure but it's shown to be damn effective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts