Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving dirt with my 1953 Ford 800 yesterday I notice the left front wheel has a wobble. I jack it up and tear it down. I guess it's never been greased in all these years and I never thought about it. The inter bearings fall out of their frame and the race has a grove. I call a few dealers just to find they will have to order. Checking prices with shipping through them I can order and wait a lot cheaper. They can have it Tuesday for $58 and I'll drive 23 miles. I can have it at my door Wednesday for $21.
While I'm waiting I'll install a zirk in the caps and clean/grease the right side.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,732 Posts
Good luck with your repair job, Canebreaker!!!

Do you have pics of your old Ford tractor?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never have taken a picture of it.
Stepdad bought it used with a grader blade in '94. Would angle the blade to break up the garden. Turn the blade backwards to mow the grass down. Built a garage from scrap material to store it in. Sold it when his second wife died. After mom and he married they lived in my mom's house. Needed a caretaker here so I moved in. I was keeping the yard mowed with a 22" mower. Mom wanted more of the 4 acres cleaned and a big garden. They went to the guy that bought it. It quit running and sat in it's spot for 2 years. She bought it with the blade, disk, double breaking plow, boom pole and bush hog for a $900. I replaced the fuel tank tap, replaced the fuel line, rebuilt the carb, changed the points, oil and filter, replaced the alt, washed the air filter and new battery. The ign was bad so I bypassed it. The hydraulic pump would take forever to pump up, I rebuilt it last year. The brakes are very weak, I have new shoes, just waiting for when my sons can help change them. I bought a small pond scoop for $50 and a finishing mower for $400.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,732 Posts
That's a commendable effort, Canebreaker, to keep that old Ford running! :101010:

Reactions: LearCo and Mesquite

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Never have taken a picture of it.
Stepdad bought it used with a grader blade in '94. Would angle the blade to break up the garden. Turn the blade backwards to mow the grass down. Built a garage from scrap material to store it in. Sold it when his second wife died. After mom and he married they lived in my mom's house. Needed a caretaker here so I moved in. I was keeping the yard mowed with a 22" mower. Mom wanted more of the 4 acres cleaned and a big garden. They went to the guy that bought it. It quit running and sat in it's spot for 2 years. She bought it with the blade, disk, double breaking plow, boom pole and bush hog for a $900. I replaced the fuel tank tap, replaced the fuel line, rebuilt the carb, changed the points, oil and filter, replaced the alt, washed the air filter and new battery. The ign was bad so I bypassed it. The hydraulic pump would take forever to pump up, I rebuilt it last year. The brakes are very weak, I have new shoes, just waiting for when my sons can help change them. I bought a small pond scoop for $50 and a finishing mower for $400.
You got some deal there , love old tractors or any tractor for that matter. I like to support the local guys but man that some difference in price and no drive , funny how those things work ain't it?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Never mind, should have looked at the eBay link before my rambling post. They obviously planned it well for the issue of my concern. Sorry.

Curious about the zerk location choice. If I understand correctly you are planning to put it into thin sheet metal of the grease cap, right? Seems that would have it protruding "proud" in a very exposed location to snag or break off on most anything.

Have you thought about placing it in the middle of the hub. We have an old AMCO drag disc and the grease zerks on the two wheel hubs are drilled and placed so that the grease shoots into the area between the inner and outer bearing and the zerk is well protected from damage. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This is how some new boat trailer hubs are made. If I have to replace a hub on any trailer I'll think about this one. I'd have to pull the wheel off of some to grease.
Tie Down Engineering Vortex Lube Hub Kits 81016 | eBay
There ya go that definitely should work. Could probably replace the straight zerk with a 45 or 90 degree to overcome the need to remove the wheel. Good thing about this design is that is pushes new grease through both bearings, if you pump enough through. Depending on the application looks like that could end up being 1/4 to 1/2 a tube per hub, still a lot less aggravation than having a bearing go out.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Curious about the zerk location choice. If I understand correctly you are planning to put it into thin sheet metal of the grease cap, right? Seems that would have it protruding "proud" in a very exposed location to snag or break off on most anything."

We did that on a 16 ft trailer. My son backed it into a tight spot and broke one off. Replaced them with nylon screws. Have to replace the zirk everytime we grease it.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
I got a new Kuboto 4 wheel drive a couple years ago. I had a couple different friends offer to buy my old Massey 135 diesel. I just could not part with my old tractor, it has been a faithful friend that I still use to spread seed and fertilizer. Before I bought the 135, 22 years ago, I used a Ford 8N for about 13 years.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Have a 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee that I fixed up and did a rattle can paint job on just to stop the rust. My Dad had converted it to LP back about 1960 and I replaced the LP components with new 3 years ago. Still running good. Mainly use it to work my drive. This picture is before I painted it but I had just gotten it started again and my youngest daughter had to jump in the seat. I found several sites to order parts from for just about anything I needed.
IMG_20150425_191710_973.jpg

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went out to crank the tractor in the shed and bring it around to the driveway to jack up and work on front end bearings. Nothing when I put the clip on the battery. Nothing when I hit the start switch. The starter was making a bit of noise my last time on it. Wonder if it's bad?

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Could try starter with a jumper wire to the solenoid to bypass the switch to check part of the system.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The clip I put on the positive side of the battery usually throws a spark, nothing this time. It's suppose to jump over a lot of things.
I need a second jumper wire from the battery to the starter? Looks like I need a second person.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Haul it up here and Grandpa and I will get it going. He's on a cane now and can't hear it thunder, but with some help he drove the '26 T Model around the yard this week. Those old Fords are a snap.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts