Training Options Within Approx 1 Day Drive

Discussion in 'Training' started by bucmeister, Mar 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    Didn't really know how else to title my question so here goes.

Many of you have probably seen and/or heard of Front Sight Gun Range and Training Center out in the Las Vegas area. They have multiple tiers of training programs apparently ranging from beginner to advanced tactical. What I am looking for is a similar type of operation somewhat closer for my son and I to go spend a few days shooting together. He is 24 the end of this month and while we shoot some at times he is not the rabid outdoors person I was by the time I turned 24 but I do want to have a father/son shooting trip with him with trainers that are not me. Vegas would be a hard 2+ days out then the same back and due to moving him in the same break period we might not have the window of time to go that far for a 2-3 day course. Guess years back when he was still at home I should have gotten into some of the shooting sports I see mentioned, steel, 3 gun, etc, but we didn't which brings us to now.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mesquite likes this.
  2. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    1 day drive from where?

bucmeister and Mesquite like this.

3. JohnDeere

JohnDeere Deplorable

MS
    Delta Defense, Greenwood MS, they have a website you can search for. They train troopers, EC, and teach advanced shooting!

4. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Note; if I'm going that far west, I'm probably going to GUNSITE.
    Isn't rhere a outfit around Flowood, Ridgeland that has multiple training. even have church security training scenarios. Names escape me.
    Think Boondocks is one im thinking of.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  5. oldfart

oldfart Distinguished Poster

Frank Proctor in Eastaboga AL is an excellent pistol/carbine instructor. wayofthegun.us I believe is his website.

Mesquite likes this.
  6. bucmeister

SW-MS
    Mississippi in general. I'm in Natchez he is in Monroe at present.

Mesquite likes this.
  7. tha1000

tha1000 Distinguished Poster

I was going to suggest Proctor as well. The website has changed to frankproctorshooting.com, but I'm sure the old website will redirect you. He is legit.

Boondocks is an awesome facility if you want to stay closer to home, but they do not have anyone with Proctor's credentials on staff.

Mesquite likes this.
  8. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

There's a new place in Nashville, converted old Movie theater into training facility.
    Is Rangemaster in Memphis area still active?

JohnDeere likes this.
  9. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    It seems like there are some good trainers around for more advance techniques. The problem I see, especially with Boondocks, lies in the prerequisite requirements. They force you to take their beginner courses first. I understand why. They don't want under skilled and potentially dangerous students to get left behind in an advanced class. I just refuse to hand someone hundreds of dollars only for them to verify I'm not retarded before they're willing to teach at my level. It seems like a heck of a money trap without an alternative.

10. Rangemaster range operations have been closed for about 4 years now.

Rangemaster's Tom Givens provides his training on the road/nationwide now:

Tom Givens

tha1000 and Mesquite like this.
  11. bucmeister

SW-MS
    If I read Boondocks correctly one meets the prerequisites if they have concealed carry permit. I do son does not yet, but wants to so him going through that course would not be a bad step anyway. The appeal of an operation the size of Front Sight or Gunsite is scheduling. Small operations likely would not be running all offerings every day whereas the big places likely would.

Mesquite likes this.
  12. LOBO

LOBO Distinguished Poster

13. dhollis51

dhollis51 Distinguished Poster

Frank Proctor. Great instructor for sure.

14. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

This guy was at our club for four days in January. At least I think he's the one. Guys really liked him what I heard

Mesquite likes this.
  15. JohnHeiter

JohnHeiter Distinguished Poster

Canman and Mesquite like this.
  16. According to his (Givens') schedule, he will be at Boondocks Training Center November 2-4, 2018 for a Firearms Instructor Development Course:

Three-Day Firearms Instructor Development Course, Mississippi

Cost is $675.00 .

17. bucmeister

SW-MS
    Thanks again for the suggestions. Scheduling is the task as we are trying to hit one week in May with middle of the week training.

Mesquite likes this.
  18. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Sounds intense and like a great course. Though it doesn't have Mississippi listed as being certified to instruct a course. Did I miss it somewhere?

19. ftsibley

ftsibley Distinguished Poster

I have a friend who just got back from K&M long range class and he spoke outstanding of the facility and the instructors. He spent a long career in the military and has had loads of specialized training all over the country and said K&M is one of the nicest places he has been. I am hoping to get to go with him this summer.

rigrat likes this.