Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some others are, I tend to get pulled in by cheaper optics...

I picked up a Trinity Force Red/Green/Blue dot. Out of the box, I thought hey this is nice, it's got a QD mount.

Three colors with three intensity settings for each. Cool too.

Couple of other neato facts about shooting it on your AR:

#1 no matter how tight you get the QD mount after 6-7 shots it jumps off the rifle.

#2 so after you strip it off the QD mount and lock it down on the rail sans mount... it manages to change colors as you shoot. Not just thru the three colors as advertised but also into blended colors like purple and orange. Oh and it also will intermittently cut on and off .

I guess #2 happens because the mount is not there to absorb the recoil.

All I'm sayin is I will be returning it to get my $75 back. Your mileage may vary but you can't say you didn't know now. Trinity Force is on my crap list with UTG and others.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Ouch... I won't pay more than $20 for unknown eBay grade optics.. I do know the field sport red dots are good, I haven't shot with mine much but a lot of people swear by them. They have a ton of good reviews on amazon

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually bought this one local... but I usually check reviews and such but this time I I didn't.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Trijicon MRO. Buy once, cry once.

It was a little more than 4X the price of that one, from Larue, with QD mount, but has no gimmics and is quality built in USA. Mine has been running strong most all of 2016, has been dropped in the gun shop floor, taken a carbine class, hunting trip and countless range trips and some carbine matches. I have left it on all year and probably won't change the battery for another 2 or 3 years.

So, $100 for something that will never hold zero on a rifle, or $500 for something that will last until we are carrying lasers, I'll choose the later.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,392 Posts
Wow I wouldn't put That in the cheap category ha. My go to optic now is holosun. For approx double that. Yeah it's more than eBay/Amazon specials but lot less than the sig/trijicon ones that are just like it. Yeah if have few hundred bucks then can't beat Aimpoint PRO. Love both of mine, built like a tank and will last. But don't need battle tough optic on everything, just a couple of my guns fall into that category that I want them on. Rest have been getting the little Holosuns. Also recommend the primary Arms LER magnifier to use in conjunction. Just :2cents:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Trijicon MRO. Buy once, cry once.

It was a little more than 4X the price of that one, from Larue, with QD mount, but has no gimmics and is quality built in USA. Mine has been running strong most all of 2016, has been dropped in the gun shop floor, taken a carbine class, hunting trip and countless range trips and some carbine matches. I have left it on all year and probably won't change the battery for another 2 or 3 years.

So, $100 for something that will never hold zero on a rifle, or $500 for something that will last until we are carrying lasers, I'll choose the later.
How do you like the MRO? They came out shortly after I had bought a aimpoint H1. Kind of wish they had came out sooner or I had waited a little longer.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Wow I wouldn't put That in the cheap category ha. My go to optic now is holosun. For approx double that. Yeah it's more than eBay/Amazon specials but lot less than the sig/trijicon ones that are just like it. Yeah if have few hundred bucks then can't beat Aimpoint PRO. Love both of mine, built like a tank and will last. But don't need battle tough optic on everything, just a couple of my guns fall into that category that I want them on. Rest have been getting the little Holosuns. Also recommend the primary Arms LER magnifier to use in conjunction. Just :2cents:
Supposedly Holosun manufactures the Sig optics. Sig and Trij optics aren't even playing the same game, let alone in the same league, IMO.

For value optics Holosun definitely seems to be a solid choice. Or Vortex. I grew out of the gun show special optics/accessories phase a long time ago though.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Aimpoint all they way for a dot sight, like other have said buy once cry once, I still have my old eotech 552 and so far it has held up but if it decided to take a dump it will be replaced with another T1.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
How do you like the MRO? They came out shortly after I had bought a aimpoint H1. Kind of wish they had came out sooner or I had waited a little longer.
I love the MRO. I think Trijicon came right into Aimpoint's playground and set up shop. When I was pricing the micro aimpoints they seemed to be much higher. The MRO has 2 very low settings for night vision, all the way to a mid position off and up to a very bright 6. 5 year supposed battery life if left on at mid position 3. I am only about one year into testing that.

Like I said, it's built tough, easy to adjust. Positive clicks in the adjustment and I like the 2MOA dot, I feel that it is just right. Big enough to see, doesn't cover up too much of the target. I mostly use it for 25-100 yard shooting. It was about $493 from larue with a very nice QD mount. It is solid and I have never had any trouble with loss of zero. I have one on my DD competition gun and another for when my MK18 comes in.

Let me know if you have any questions about it, and if you would like to check it out at a Magnolia carbine match or range day at Turcotte, just let me know.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
I love the MRO. I think Trijicon came right into Aimpoint's playground and set up shop. When I was pricing the micro aimpoints they seemed to be much higher. The MRO has 2 very low settings for night vision, all the way to a mid position off and up to a very bright 6. 5 year supposed battery life if left on at mid position 3. I am only about one year into testing that.

Like I said, it's built tough, easy to adjust. Positive clicks in the adjustment and I like the 2MOA dot, I feel that it is just right. Big enough to see, doesn't cover up too much of the target. I mostly use it for 25-100 yard shooting. It was about $493 from larue with a very nice QD mount. It is solid and I have never had any trouble with loss of zero. I have one on my DD competition gun and another for when my MK18 comes in.

Let me know if you have any questions about it, and if you would like to check it out at a Magnolia carbine match or range day at Turcotte, just let me know.
Did you order your mk18 from DD? Took me about 4 or so months to get my mk18 upper last year.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree Lefty... I've spent some money with Thad last year. He's holding my Osprey hostage. Unfortunately, he has some other things I can't live without too. Has quite a variety for such a small shop. Great guy too. Can't wait til he gets the new place opened up.

Reactions: Lefty2Guns

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

Thanks for the report, and the offer. I need to make one of the carbine matches once work slows down sound like fun.

·
Administrator
13,003 Posts
I like my MRO it fit the bill I was looking for. I've also have a halosun it's nice for cheap optic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts