Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Be nice, or at least, be honest...and DOL
955 Posts
Chop up some onion, tomato, as much fresh jalapeno as you like, a decent amount of cilantro, and some garlic, season with salt and a little cumin, add a splash of vinegar and a splash of lime juice and you'll got pico de gallo. You can sub pickled jalapenos or escabeche (the pickled jalapeno-carrot-onion-etc. Mexican relish, not the Spanish sauce) but IMO, it isn't as good.

Add some diced avocado, mix with some ketchup (yep, ketchup), some V8, Clamato or even some michelada if you like them, and boiled shrimp and you have coctel de cameron, Mexican shrimp cocktail. Serve it with saltine crackers (again, yep).

Mix the pico with raw cubes of _saltwater_ fish like snapper, add a generous amount of lime juice, let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours and you've got ceviche.

·
Just another day!
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chop up some onion, tomato, as much fresh jalapeno as you like, a decent amount of cilantro, and some garlic, season with salt and a little cumin, add a splash of vinegar and a splash of lime juice and you'll got pico de gallo. You can sub pickled jalapenos or escabeche (the pickled jalapeno-carrot-onion-etc. Mexican relish, not the Spanish sauce) but IMO, it isn't as good.

Add some diced avocado, mix with some ketchup (yep, ketchup), some V8, Clamato or even some michelada if you like them, and boiled shrimp and you have coctel de cameron, Mexican shrimp cocktail. Serve it with saltine crackers (again, yep).

Mix the pico with raw cubes of _saltwater_ fish like snapper, add a generous amount of lime juice, let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours and you've got ceviche.
I do like some good ceviche.

·
955 Posts
I do like some good ceviche.
I do, too, and we make it fairly often. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but Pepe's El Bosque in d'Iberville used to have pretty good coctel and ceviche. IIRC, the ceviche may not have been on the menu - you had to ask - but I may be confusing it with somewhere else. If you get to the central-ish Pacific coast of Costa Rica - say from around Puntaranas through Los Suenos/Herradura/Jaco down to Manuel Antonio and even in San Jose if you know where to go - you could eat a different ceviche/salpicon mariscos for every meal, at a different place, and go months before you had to start repeating things.

·
Just another day!
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me too. Whenever we go to Isla Mujeras, MX, I eat it often. Once even made my own from baracudda I caught handlining once the locals gave it the go ahead that it was ok to eat.
Never had Cuda but I suppose it could be ok. I have had yellow fin, mahi, and yellow tail. It is all very good.

·
955 Posts
Never had Cuda but I suppose it could be ok. I have had yellow fin, mahi, and yellow tail. It is all very good.
I'll let Soonered tell his story, but be _VERY_ _VERY_ careful with barracuda, and doubly so in the GOM and Caribbean. It's a big source, maybe even the primary source, of ciguatera (and cooking doesn't matter). I wouldn't take the chance, but plenty of folks do...a few regret it.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I'll let Soonered tell his story, but be _VERY_ _VERY_ careful with barracuda, and doubly so in the GOM and Caribbean. It's a big source, maybe even the primary source, of ciguatera (and cooking doesn't matter). I wouldn't take the chance, but plenty of folks do...a few regret it.
Yep! The locals know when it's ok to eat. The cudda get it from then minnows that get it from the algae. Kind of like the algae in the red tide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts