Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have not but, I have had experience with long magnetic exposure to steel (not titanium) firing pins and springs.
Some firing pins/spring combos tend to float and may cause light primer strikes.
My belief that it is only an issue in extreme long exposures.
Since this rig is at the end of the bbl ....it probably wouldn’t be any issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have no experience with those magnetic mounts, I am curious about how well they hold up in an accident, and sudden braking or acceleration.

·
Registered
906 Posts
All ferrous metals should stick really well under normal conditions.
Accidents are a different story I’m sure.

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts
They work and well. Many thousands of miles a pistol has been stuck to one in my truck. I don’t have that particular one but it’s function is the same.
the flatter the slide,the better. A Glock hangs from mine now and is rock solid,the M&P before was ok,the EAA Windicator was solid as well.

I’ve wondered about it staying put in an accident as well but seeing as your rearend and anything else in the truck/car won’t be in the same spot either......why worry about that. Worst that will happen in a collision is it’s on the floor.......if you roll and can still think about it.....well you’re just lucky. It’s kinda pointless to worry about....if you are......keep it stuck in your paints and digging in the ham.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It’s all good until you have a wreck. Then you have a loaded pistol with no holster flying through your cab.
Also nothing to keep someone from getting their booger hook on the trigger. That’s a big no go for me as I have a 5 year old.

Look up Texas custom holsters. They make nice holsters that mount in neat places in vehicles that will keep your pistol from flopping around the cab of your truck.

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts
It’s all good until you have a wreck. Then you have a loaded pistol with no holster flying through your cab.
Also nothing to keep someone from getting their booger hook on the trigger. That’s a big no go for me as I have a 5 year old.

Look up Texas custom holsters. They make nice holsters that mount in neat places in vehicles that will keep your pistol from flopping around the cab of your truck.
It’s not “cocked” while suspended. That’s what the front ledge does when you go to retrieve your firearm........push forward and pull off.

Teach your 5 year old about firearms and you won’t have to worry about it

·
Registered
CZ Scorpion Evo, HK P30L, Sig P365X, G43, Taurus G2C, 5.56 AR, Ruger 25-06, Benelli SBE2, Rem 870 WM
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s not “cocked” while suspended. That’s what the front ledge does when you go to retrieve your firearm........push forward and pull off.

Teach your 5 year old about firearms and you won’t have to worry about it
Yeah I guess the safe thing to do would be to leave the chamber empty and use the mount to rack it, as it's designed, in the event of needing to use it. I always carry with a round in the chamber so mounting the gun there with an empty chamber kinda goes against my principles there. That's a bit of a dilemna for me.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Hell i grew up with it shoved under/between the seat so i see no difference if you are in a wreck. Not sure i would want a cocked and locked 1911 flying around during a wreck but other than that i dont see a huge issue. If you wreck your vehicle who sees the terrified kid in the backseat actually be like "ooh look a gun". I would be more concerned about leaving it in a mounted holster etc when i ran into pay for a bag of chips at the filling station than the gun flying around during a wreck and landing in the 5yo lap.

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts
Got one for Christmas haven't even opened it yet, I'm not mounting it in one of my trucks thought about mounting it underneath the end table by my recliner though.
Not a bad idea.

If you’re worried about the addition of holes to your dash......3M makes a double sided tape that is normally used to retain molding and accessories like vent shades and bug shield. It could be used to attach the mount to any surface and if you didn’t like it,could be easily removed without damage to the vehicle surface. Very tough stuff,no doubt it will suit the duty.

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts
Hell i grew up with it shoved under/between the seat so i see no difference if you are in a wreck. Not sure i would want a cocked and locked 1911 flying around during a wreck but other than that i dont see a huge issue. If you wreck your vehicle who sees the terrified kid in the backseat actually be like "ooh look a gun". I would be more concerned about leaving it in a mounted holster etc when i ran into pay for a bag of chips at the filling station than the gun flying around during a wreck and landing in the 5yo lap.
It’s funny how,most of us, have a lot of the same memories about this type stuff. I too remember guns wedge and stuffed in places that may or may not have been the best places! 😆

·
Registered
3,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Not a bad idea.

If you’re worried about the addition of holes to your dash......3M makes a double sided tape that is normally used to retain molding and accessories like vent shades and bug shield. It could be used to attach the mount to any surface and if you didn’t like it,could be easily removed without damage to the vehicle surface. Very tough stuff,no doubt it will suit the duty.
The tape is 3m “vhb” very high bond. It still will peel off pretty easily. They do make one that does not bond as strong but I have had better luck with vhb when any weight is involved

1 - 17 of 17 Posts