Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck to the shop Monday to see what was wrong with the transmission. Spencer Lee's in Horn Lake.
It's an '01 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8 V8 with 265,000 miles. First time in the shop on jacks beside tire replacement. I do everything I can at home.
First thing I notice is I have to give it lots of gas to get going. Stopped at a red light, release the brake and I sat still on flat ground. Traveling at 65 mph I was doing 3,600 rpm's, not the 1,800 as it use to do. Chris says, sounds like the pump, nope need the trans rebuilt, $1,700.
I've been having problems with the ignition switch, got to shake the key to get it to turn. While it's in the shop I order a new ignition. Look at Utube on how to replace it. Then I get the call, we have cranked your truck 6 or 7 times and now can't get it to turn. I spent 2 hours trying to get it to turn. Ok, guess call in a locksmith, late in the day can't get one there. I spent a good 4 hours looking at Utube videos last night. I reworded the search everyway I could think of. Still finding the same videos, nothing new.
I'm up early this morning, can't sleep. Sasha hears Bruce outside barking. We head out to see Bruce and the skinny neighbor. I tell her of the problems I'm having. She ask me make year model of the truck and plays with her phone. Google has a KISS search feature Keep It Stupid Simple or simple Stupid. The first video the guy had looked at other videos. Use a hammer on the key, drive it in and turn at the same time. He broke the plastic off of the ignition cylinder. He could see the cylinder lock in a hole. Pushed a small screwdriver in to press the lock, turn the key. press the assembly lock then remove the cylinder.
I got to the shop about 9:30 am today. Chris says the first locksmith had a big job to do and ours would have to wait. He called another and waiting for a reply. I stuck a large screwdriver in and popped the plastic cover off the ignition. I could see the lock was up. Normally with key in the lock is down. I wedged a small screwdriver in and got the cylinder to turn. The key has to be in start/run position to remove the cylinder. I removed the negative wire from the battery to make the change out. Just then the locksmith returns his call. Chris puts it on speaker phone. He might have to drill it, that will be $400. I said, well save your visit, just replaced it for a 15 pack of Keystone Ice, $6.90. The last I heard was, Is he a certified. Chris said, no, he's the truck owner.
I had to leave to take a granddaughter to volleyball practice at the high school. It's 3:50 when I get home, the shop closed at 5, I'll wait. 4:10, come for your truck. I press the brake and put it in reserve, Wow not enough brake, I'm rolling. Stop, put it in drive, not enough brake again. Dang, tighter than it was when it was new.

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
Hell we had a 96 Cheyenne 4x4 and had to replace/rebuild the trany 4times in the first 110,000 miles. That was the last chevy we owned.
I would venture to say.....if you go through 4 in 110k.......you either are hell on your truck,basically can not drive for schit,or you need to find better a better repair facilities. 😂
There’s no way those transmissions are that terrible......that’s coming from someone who thinks they suck but loves building them. Easy money.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,398 Posts
I would venture to say.....if you go through 4 in 110k.......you either are hell on your truck,basically can not drive for schit,or you need to find better a better repair facilities. 😂
There’s no way those transmissions are that terrible......that’s coming from someone who thinks they suck but loves building them. Easy money.
GM made a really bad batch of transmissions in the early 90's, GM replaced not rebuilt the transmission in one of my uncles GMC 2500 work trucks at least 4 or 5 times under warranty with less than 50k on it.

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
GM made a really bad batch of transmissions in the early 90's, GM replaced not rebuilt the transmission in one of my uncles GMC 2500 work trucks at least 4 or 5 times under warranty with less than 50k on it.
6 or 8 lug 2500?
If 8 lug that was the first series 4L80e (3 in total) and those were POS. Nobody says anything about those over heating,eating planets or having terrible electrical issues. They want to point at the 4l60 and say just how bad it is.
The 4L60 gives good service if taken care of.......maintenance and driving habits go a long way. Main thing they fail from is towing and people beating on their vehicle. Sudden loading of the input shaft will have it stress the aluminum input drum pocket that the steel input shaft is splined and press into. As it rocks,it wallows the bore/splines. Creating fluid leaks.......burning the clutches (mostly the 3/4 stack.
Another common thing to have happen is the sun shell breaking. That’s mostly from forward and reverse engagement (think mr 4x4 trying to get his truck out of the mud hole he probably should have driven around) and have the splines rip from its flange or the whole flange leave from the shell in total.
Now you get to where we see towing screwing things up. Folks think that if the truck moves it,then we can drag it 75 and in O/D. Well......sure......you can,but then you can b!tch and complain about having to have it worked on too.

The bottom line is the transmission is only designed to handle 360lbft of torque. Add anything to a 5.3 like cam and headers with a good tune and it’s done.

It can be made better,stronger but folks rarely want to invest the time money and effort into it when the 2nd and 3rd generations of 4L80 are so plentiful......and cheap too.

What I’ve always found comical......is the amount of folks that snatched the 700r4 out (same trans guts,just mechanical) in favor of a turbo 350. Only real difference was no overdrive and a a crescent gear pump with no aluminum input drum. All they had to do was not tow in overdrive or keep their hands off the “kickdown cable” as that was not what it is and when not adjusted properly would burn the transmission to the ground.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,398 Posts
6 or 8 lug 2500?
If 8 lug that was the first series 4L80e (3 in total) and those were POS. Nobody says anything about those over heating,eating planets or having terrible electrical issues. They want to point at the 4l60 and say just how bad it is.
It was an 8 lugs. I was driving it back from Mobile one night about 2am no trailer, empty bed cruising about 10 over and smelled trans fluid stopped and popped the hood , and transmission fluid was boiling out the trans dip stick. Had to baby it home.
Cousin still has it, but now it has 454 and Turbo 400 in it. :p

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
It was an 8 lugs. I was driving it back from Mobile one night about 2am no trailer, empty bed cruising about 10 over and smelled trans fluid stopped and popped the hood , and transmission fluid was boiling out the trans dip stick. Had to baby it home.
Cousin still has it, but now it has 454 and Turbo 400 in it. :p
Yup! Lol

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
I think the first two were warrantied and replaced. The third one lasted the longest but it went out gear by gear as I was passing a vehicle while driving to school. Had 2 gears when I pulled into class for my final exam. Had 1 left when I got home.

Used it as an everyday driver and farm truck, but hauling 5 round bales was the most work we ever did. I’ve driven other trucks much much harder and not had those issues.

·
Premium Member
11,968 Posts
I think the first two were warrantied and replaced. The third one lasted the longest but it went out gear by gear as I was passing a vehicle while driving to school. Had 2 gears when I pulled into class for my final exam. Had 1 left when I got home.

Used it as an everyday driver and farm truck, but hauling 5 round bales was the most work we ever did. I’ve driven other trucks much much harder and not had those issues.
🤥

😂

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to Kroger today and found their brand 80/20 ground beef for $1.99 per lb chub pack instead of $7.99. I called my family, how many pounds/packs do you want. I got 35, 5 will go to the skinny neighbor for saving me $400 from the locksmith.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts