Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions/advice on my deer rifle. I have always wanted a High Wall in 45-70 and finally got one a couple of years ago. When I first got it, I said I would never put a scope on it and just use tang sights. Seeing picture below, you can see I have been successful in hitting with it. Picture shows second deer I have killed with it. I also realize that without a scope, I am usually loosing 10-15 minutes of hunting because I cannot see as well without scope. Well, my worse nightmare has come true, I had a chance at a good solid buck a few days ago but as they typically do, he did not come out until very last light. I could see he was a good buck with binoculars at 150 yards, but I could NOT see him with my iron sights. Shot at him 4 times, was guessing where his body was but refused to not at least try to see if I could hit him. I must have not even been getting close because he just stood there and didnt move until 4th shot. No blood, no buzzards flying next few days after. I am certain I completely missed him. So, opinions/advice is should I look at adding scope or just mark this buck as "the one that got away". Full disclosure, I do not normally just shoot at a deer and hope for the best, I have let plenty walk because it was not a good shot to take. I know the shot was not a good situation but again, I was not leaving without at least trying for this buck.....he was that good. I don't like the idea of putting a modern scope on this vintage looking rifle. I have looked at the Hi-Lux Malcolm long scopes and they are good, might go that route. Just wondering what everyone else would do. Leave it tang sights or scope it.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal

· Registered
4,644 Posts
I had a rail put on mine; the back of it screwed to the receiver and the front with a shim screwed to the barrel. I think mine is where I can get to it tonight and take a picture.

Reactions: Jon David C

· Registered
4,644 Posts
As promised .................... I was mistaken both sides of rail screwed to barrel

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Rim Spoke

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kinda buck let's you shoot at him 3 times and doesn't move? I have never hunted deer but that seems very unusual?
It was dark, he was a 150yards away, and apparently, I was not getting close enough to even scare him. Not all that unusual, I have had multiple deer in a field, shoot one and the rest stand there wondering what happened. Have also had the others run off when I shoot only to have them come back before I can get out of the stand to retrieve my deer.

· Premium Member
133 Posts
I see I thought just the sound of the gun going off would scare them but I guess not in ever situation I have only ever hunted hogs and you pretty much only get one shot on them Although one time I killed to younger males with a Marlin 30-30 shot one and the other one stopped to see what happened to his buddy and I had time to shoot the other but I thought that was very unusual I guess they are like people There are some stupid ones in the bunch or atleast they make bad decisions some times Which I think we all do now and then

1 - 8 of 8 Posts