close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Update 11/15/17: Range Renovation Started ..... August 14th

Discussion in 'Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club' started by captain-03, Aug 14, 2017.

1. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    The BOD agreed that it would be in the range’s long term interest to suspend use of the new ranges until sufficient ground cover could be established. A lot of money has been invested in this project to include special grading to assist with drainage and there is no adequate way to keep members from driving onto a wet range. According, the match schedule has been amended to reflect no additional matches until January 2018. However, there would be prohibition of opening certain ranges sooner if possible.

2. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Don't think the officially registered state CMP rifle championships, originally scheduled for 4 Novermber, would endanger the renovations. But it's not my club & not my decision, so this opinion is worth exactly what it cost y'all.

stewbaby likes this.

3. Scott

Scott Distinguished Poster

What about the new 15 yard pistol ranges that vehicles can't drive on? Is there a possibility those will be open for use sooner than January?

4. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

A couple of walls were supposed to be put up to divide it into 3 bays. I haven't seen that done yet. I did see a bit of green on the berm but the grass is far from being established so far. This late in the year makes me think even January might be wishful thinking. February most likely if we have a warm winter.

This is just my guess. I think it would be best if something was growing to stablize those new berms and the horizonal surfaces before they are used.

PWB, Mesquite, 22lrfan and 5 others like this.
  5. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    UPDATE FROM MONDAY (10-23)

Went to the range this morning to test more mini shotgun shells. But before shooting I walked around the new West ranges.

15yd Ranges.jpg
    The 15yd ranges are getting.......... GRASSY. :)

Access Road.jpg
    Some of the berms are looking GOOD. This is the access road to the back ranges.

Grass Getting Tall.jpg
    That grass is getting......... TALL.

Back Ranges Access.jpg
    This shows how some of the berms have a good start of grass. And some don't. Might need another shot at spray seeding..............

50yd Range.jpg
    One of the 50yd ranges. Again, some berms with grass and some without. :(

6. Dave

Looks better than it did Saturday.

SubGunFan likes this.
  7. Scott

Scott Distinguished Poster

These are great pictures. Thanks for posting. It’s going to be much more difficult to go “downrange” on the 15 yard range without splitting it into at least two bays. Hopefully that will come to fruition.

8. captain-03

Byram, MS
    The current plan is to split it into 3 bays. We are working on some ideas now and will be sending them out for cost estimates.

Please bear with us!!

Mesquite, Soonered, PWB and 3 others like this.
  9. mosher

mosher Distinguished Poster

dang that looks good grass is so much better than dirt

Mesquite likes this.
  10. PWB

PWB Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

What type of overhead covering will be used on the new 25 and 40 yard range? Will it be similar to the 15 yard range?

11. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson

JMO.......... Your pop-ups for now..........

IMO...... Needed in the near future when money allows.

cs700 and PWB like this.
  12. Dave

I heard something like range 8 is being thought about.

PWB likes this.
  13. cs700

cs700 Distinguished Poster

There are still other ranges at MRPC that need drainage work & trees removed from berms. Everything wanted can't be done at once.

SubGunFan and stewbaby like this.
  14. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

We just need to have a couple of work days...a lot of us are used to doing that at deer camps...show up and work or pay a additional fee. I have a chainsaw and pole saw. Of course, someone then has to deal with scheduling and with all the complainers, shirkers, non-penalty payers, etc... I'm sure it has been tried in the past and their are probably some good horror stories to be told at some other time and place.

Mr. Squirrel and SubGunFan like this.
  15. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Dangit Stew, ya'll have those up there as well?? I thought we had all of them but see ya'll have some as well. Glad to know we ain't the only one with those folks!!!

16. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

This has been brought up before, a few years ago, I believe. There are days when a bunch of people show up to work, but nothing official. There was the competition guys, or whatever group of guys, and more than a few got upset that no one came to help. The problem was, no communications were attempted to get the entire club involved. Now that I have more time, I'd be fine helping as I can, but the club has to come up with a way to bring in helpers. It's not fair for the same group of guys to do all the work, but someone has to take the initiative to get the help there.

SubGunFan likes this.
  17. captain-03

Byram, MS
    For small project this may work; however, for the larger and more complex projects we have found it much easier and actually quicker to hire it done. We do have a couple of small projects that need to be done where we may just try to do this once again.

That is on the BODs agenda for the first of the year. There are major problems associated with putting in concrete covered firing lines. Would leave no place to park if we want to get the full use of the range at its current distances. The probable approach may be to use the same type carport canopy current is use on range 8. Again, this is up for discussion.

... and much, much better than mud!!

It is just not about endangering the new ranges, we also considered range availability. A VERY small percentage of our 1500+ members actually participate in the competition programs and current we have ranges that can not be used. Currently we have 12 ranges constructed with only 4 currently being available. To have the CMP match that number would be reduced to only 3. The dues paying membership has to be our first priority!

18. captain-03

Byram, MS
    11/02/2017
    The majority of the berm construction has been completed. We still plan to add wing berms to break up Range 1 into three separate bays and are getting bids on the construction. We are just waiting on the grass to establish itself before opening the new ranges. We have been fortunate with the weather and we may be able to open a portion of the new ranges within the next couple weeks. All competition activities are suspended until the new ranges are opened.

19. Bwana Six-Gun

Bwana Six-Gun Distinguished Poster

Out there at the range today to see how the grass is progressing. Except for a couple of spots on the two 25's and the two 50's it appears to be well established on the floor of the bays, the berms still have a ways to go. The 15 yd bay has good grass of the floor and the berms are almost there. If the weather holds, they should be usable pending dividing the 15 up within a couple more weeks. Just my .02 worth.

SubGunFan likes this.
  20. captain-03

Byram, MS
    Another nice week weather wise and we should be able to open some of the new ranges!! The ground cover is looking very good.

I want to give a shout out to Tom Sutton, Steve Reno, and Eddie Coleman for all they have done in the past month spreading seed and keeping all the new ranges watered. Without their hard work (daily) the ranges would not be in such good condition as they are presently. Eddie actually cut the grass yesterday on the new ranges!!

fordpkup, tha1000, Xd357 and 8 others like this.