close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Upper Build Suggestions?

Discussion in 'AR's, AK's, Silencers /Class III' started by rigrat, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:08 AM.

Tags:
  1. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I am thinking about building a upper and then later on a lower. This upper will be swapped on and off my recent DPMS AR purchase. That is until I eventually get a lower to go with it. But would like all the input I can get from you guys on here that use AR's.

So I want the upper capable of 300 yard accuracy. Thats about the furthest I could use it here around me. But I feel if it is accurate at 2-300 yards then it will be more so at 100.
    I'm hoping to build a accurate budget build that want break the bank but shoot very good.

1. Anderson Manufacturing AR A3 Stripped Upper Receiver $39.95
    Click Here

Would like to go with a AR15P barrel and wondering if the 5/8x24 is the better barrel than the 1/2x28 or if it will make that much of a difference. Would the listed 16" barrels do the job or do I need to go with a 18" or even a 20"?

2. 16" 5.56 3R Socom barrel, 4150 CMV, Wylde chamber 5/8" $185.00
    Click here
    OR

2A. 16" 5.56 3R Scout barrel, Wylde chamber 1/2-28
    Click Here

Not sure of a handguard yet, so through some ideals out there.

2. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep JEEP MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    The 5/8x24 thread will bode better if using a suppressor as there's more meat for it to be attached to plus more barrel thickness left. If strictly using muzzle brake then 1/2x28 will suffice I think. Especially just out to 300 yards.
    16" can definitely work at that range. Though 18" might be just a hair better. Bullet selection is more of a factor than the extra 2" though. Depending on twist rate and what bullet the barrel likes will be the key with either.
    And def would stay with the mid or rifle length gas system.

3. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Have a few magpul MOEs and one standard factory handguard. Only other one I have other than my DOLOs handguard is a Sampson evolution. Really like it. Don't like the ones with all the unnecessary rails on them.
    Samson Evolution Series Customizable Free Float Handguard AR-15
    Went with the longer rail to offer better sight radius, more barrel covered look and more forward hand placement, and get bipod out front more.
    If was going to get another one then I'd get this one.
    12" Hybrid Keymod Free Float Rail
    Had it on a pistol I got rid of a while back and I really liked it.

rigrat likes this.
  4. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I'm curious about the 5/8th vs the 1/2 , because on there sight they say 1/2 can distort the end of the barrel affecting accuracy.
    @nonnieselman
    What are your ARP barrels, 5/8 thread or 1/2? And do you think the 16" is good or would the 18 or 20 be better for accuracy?

Course I think the limiting factor will be my ability to shoot.

5. rrharris

rrharris I can't right now I'm busy.

Muzzle bore diameter swells larger with the 1/2 inch thread cause the diameter is smaller, therefore more material is missing. 5/8 is less so. Technically shorter barrel is more accurate. Never met anyone personally that could shoot that good to prove such. Thats why they use math instead... Forget the 1/2 in muzzle if are looking for accuracy and get the 5/8. 1/2-28 is for rimfire is the way I look at it.

rigrat likes this.
  6. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Yeah same here. Get bullet out as quick as possible.

Well .223 is basically a rimfire size bullet :D
    What about 9mm?

rigrat likes this.
  7. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Its possible to distort the end of the barrel. Is it common? no. but it happens.

But I do agree with rrharris. All my good barrels are 5/8" threaded. My blasting/dont care/ lets melt this thing/ run n gun barrels are all 1/2" threaded cause if i can hit a 4moa plate at 100 yards im good to go.

I kinda wish they would step up the 7.62 bores to a larger than 5/8" thread but i make do with 5/8"

If your not shooting with a suppressor the 18" barrels are nice. Get a little more speed out of it.
    16" will get anything done under 600 yards with ease.

rigrat likes this.
  8. rrharris

rrharris I can't right now I'm busy.

What about pressure? ;)

rigrat likes this.
  9. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Its not that much higher... only a whole bunch higher.