Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you will be familiar with the USPSA (and other practical shooting orgs) "141.25 mm" rule for pistol magazines in Limited and other divisions (except Open). This rule has contributed to the popularity of .40 S&W in USPSA and the waning of .45 acp, purely because the .40 magazines can hold more rounds for a given length. More magazine capacity can translate to fewer mag changes, which of course means more time savings on a given stage. Since I'm sorta' old, sorta' fat, sorta' slow and sorta' broken-down, saving those seconds is important!

I usually shoot Para P-14s (double stack .45 acp) and none of the mag manufacturers seem to cater to the practical shooting sports for this pistol. You can find factory magazine in 14 rounds and ProMag makes a 20 round stick. Additionally, one can sometimes find two round mag extensions. The problem with the ProMag product is that it exceeds the 141.25 mm length and is only legal in the Open division. The problem with the two round extensions is that after installation you are still only up to 16 rounds and they are significantly shorter than 141.25mm. On a 34 round stage, the 16 rounds mags still don't save you a mag change. Also, some of the two round extensions say that you need to buy a special spring and follower kit along with the extension. (Hint: I have a few of the two round extensions and never bought the spring kits; the mags still work fine.)

What I have discovered is that you can shorten and reform the ProMag twenty rounders to meet the 141.25 mm rule and have a reliable mag that holds 17 rounds. To do this I measure along the rear of the magazine to give me the desired length (cut a little shorter than 141.25 mm to leave room for the mag's base plate) and reform the base plate lips. Use a protractor to approximate the diagonal angle of the feed lips at the top of the mag. I then cut two coils off of the mag spring. When you are cutting the bottom of the magazine, remember to leave a little extra length on both sides in order to reform new base plate lips.

This takes a lot of time and attention to detail, but the tools are simple: I use a hacksaw, jewelers' files, a protractor, ruler and pencil. There's no need to do a lot of magazines. Having just one or two will get you through 34-round stages - you can have one seventeen-round mag and load a Barney with the 16-round mag - and save the extra mag change.

This basic technique should work with other pistol mags too, if you want your own custom length mag.

Best regards
Doc

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would think factory options would be more abundant now that Rock Island, Remington, and Metro Arms are all essentially making Para pattern guns.

Allegedly sps/pantera mags will work in a para.

·
Super Moderator
13,395 Posts
Many of you will be familiar with the USPSA (and other practical shooting orgs) "141.25 mm" rule for pistol magazines in Limited and other divisions (except Open). This rule has contributed to the popularity of .40 S&W in USPSA and the waning of .45 acp, purely because the .40 magazines can hold more rounds for a given length. More magazine capacity can translate to fewer mag changes, which of course means more time savings on a given stage. Since I'm sorta' old, sorta' fat, sorta' slow and sorta' broken-down, saving those seconds is important!

I usually shoot Para P-14s (double stack .45 acp) and none of the mag manufacturers seem to cater to the practical shooting sports for this pistol. You can find factory magazine in 14 rounds and ProMag makes a 20 round stick. Additionally, one can sometimes find two round mag extensions. The problem with the ProMag product is that it exceeds the 141.25 mm length and is only legal in the Open division. The problem with the two round extensions is that after installation you are still only up to 16 rounds and they are significantly shorter than 141.25mm. On a 34 round stage, the 16 rounds mags still don't save you a mag change. Also, some of the two round extensions say that you need to buy a special spring and follower kit along with the extension. (Hint: I have a few of the two round extensions and never bought the spring kits; the mags still work fine.)

What I have discovered is that you can shorten and reform the ProMag twenty rounders to meet the 141.25 mm rule and have a reliable mag that holds 17 rounds. To do this I measure along the rear of the magazine to give me the desired length (cut a little shorter than 141.25 mm to leave room for the mag's base plate) and reform the base plate lips. Use a protractor to approximate the diagonal angle of the feed lips at the top of the mag. I then cut two coils off of the mag spring. When you are cutting the bottom of the magazine, remember to leave a little extra length on both sides in order to reform new base plate lips.

This takes a lot of time and attention to detail, but the tools are simple: I use a hacksaw, jewelers' files, a protractor, ruler and pencil. There's no need to do a lot of magazines. Having just one or two will get you through 34-round stages - you can have one seventeen-round mag and load a Barney with the 16-round mag - and save the extra mag change.

This basic technique should work with other pistol mags too, if you want your own custom length mag.

Best regards
Doc
Back when he was shooting competitively Sum Gy made his mags for his .38 super. He cut 2 apart, tig welded the pieces together and did the same with the springs. Works pretty well and fits the length requirements. If you're ever down there ask to see them. Works of art. Pun intended

1 - 5 of 5 Posts