Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Vans in Brandon

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  savageshooter 
#1 ·
I know some on here didnt like to deal with Vans for some reason.
I went in last week to find some 30MM rings for my AR since i got a new scope and its a 56mm bell.
I had a YHM Riser on the flattop just incase i couldnt find any rings that fit. Guy at the counter asked me what size the scope was and went i told him he went in the back and brought out some Burris 30mm rings. i put them on the scope and when i started fitting them onto the riser he came over and gave me a hand.
He put it in his gun holder to hold it up straight. Started putting the rings on the riser and i asked if they would fit on the flattop without the riser since it looked like it had enough clearance.
He didnt try it, just said "he has been doin this for a long time and he knows what he is doin."
I said yes sir and just waited.
I had Magpul MOE hand guards on it so they are slightly slimmer than the regular M4 handguards.

Anyway i got home and took it off the riser and it fit on the flat top with plenty of space left..

Without Riser:

See less See more
#5 ·
I like my money!! and like to get my money's worth ... yes, he does carry a pretty good selection of guns and accessories; however, I may have to wait awhile but can usually buy somewhere else for less. I do run out there every now and then and pick-up a pound of powder I want to try or something "little" that I do not want to wait for ... Everyone has been friendly and helpful and it is good that they are there ... just wish some of the prices would come down some ... I would rather buy locally but I am not going to throw money out the door ... The same is true with Bass Pro -- unless it is on sale, I do not buy from them either ..

#6 ·
There are a couple of great guys up there that will bend over backwards for you . . . .but there are also a couple of guys who act like they don't want to be bothered by you. I live right down the road from them and I go alot, but if I need a gun or something pricey I go to Great Southern in pearl. Van's has the highest prices of almost anywhere , but also the largest inventory.

#7 ·
Every time I've compared prices at Vans and Great Southern they have been pretty much equal...lets say within $10-$15 on a $600 handgun.

Not enough to quibble over...

Van's smokes most everyone in town on scope selection...of course these can be ordered online if you already know what you want.

Where Great Southern excels is trade-ins. Many trades you would not see at Van's...but you'd have to stop in a lot at GS to get it...and if its worth having at all it might only last a few hrs.

Van is there to make a buck...make no mistake about it. He has the best reloading section that I have seen in in Jxn area...so if you gotta have something...more than likely it will be there...unless you want Winchester primers or something else exotic.

I spoke with Van today and He's expanding his reloading aisle to include some Lyman products now...I saw case trimmers and case prep tools.

You'll also frequently find a stack of www.msgunowners.com hand out cards at each register...Van has been allowing me to distribute them there for about a year now.

#8 ·
I do go in there alot when I am over that way and will go in there more often when me and dad start loading up some rounds cause he lives about 5 miles from there. I just will not buy another firearm or anything else big there except reloading stuff. I have been treated too bad there with some of there fellow customer service people and refuse to buy there. But like Neck said they have the best reloading selection in central Ms if not the whole state and you can't beat that.

Oh yea they still make the best sausage in town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.