close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Very bad news for Mississippi deer hunters

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Lreaves74, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Doc

Doc Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

deadeye is right about the gloves - there are no telling how many hogs I butchered, calves I butchered, chickens I butchered, ducks - turkeys- squirrels-rabbits-doves-quail and deer I butchered - plus coons, beaver, bobcats and coyotes I skinned without gloves--- but as I aged (and hopefully got wiser) I began using gloves because the blood just seemed to dry my skin out so bad and my hands would crack. I only started thinking about diseases a few years ago........ my wife is a microbiologist and boy can she tell some possibilities. It is just a good idea to wear gloves.

2. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Test takes about 2 weeks to get back.
    MPWLF stated to bury any supplemental feed you might still have. (Referring to quartinied area).

Quickeye likes this.

3. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Heard some interesting rumors coming from some of the locals that live over there that I work with today. With the world we live in nothing would surprise me at this point. You guys that live over there ya'll hearing anything?

4. JohnDeere

JohnDeere Deplorable

MS
    I’ll take them as rumors! What’s up?

5. Mesquite

?Mississippi Outdoors radio show, warden stated a rancher watched deer die & then reported??

6. 93bronco

93bronco Distinguished Poster

Yup heard some talk LOCALLY at ground zero from 2 different sources,one says testing will start at dead bucks location,then circle out in increments to know if and how much has spread to other deer.Other says buck escaped high fence and died without contacting any other deer.

7. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

The legislature does NOT need to do a damn thing concerning this. When have they ever fixed anything? MDWFP and biologists need to be in charge of this NOW, not months down the road.

8. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    Ordinarily I'd agree that the legislature should stay out of it. They don't exactly have a stellar track record of fixing problems. However, MDWFP needs funding to handle this. Their recommendations and directives also need some teeth. I believe there should be stiff penalties for any person who knowingly violates MDWFP's directives and facilitates the spread of this disease. None of those things can happen without the legislature.

We should also consider this. The legislature, in spite of MDWFP's recommendations, legalized forms of supplemental feeding in Mississippi for no reason other than money. That supplemental feeding could now be one of the leading causes of the spread of CWD.

The legislature needs to give MDWFP the resources they need RIGHT NOW.

9. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

My point exactly. The damn legislature more than likely created this problem. I sure as hell don't want them to fix it. Several in there would be in a pissin match for weeks, when something should be getting don. yesterday.

10. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Do they know thats what caused it? And do any of the other states have a problem with this disease that allow supplemental feeding?

Jarhead5811 and Mesquite like this.
  11. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    No and Yes. There's no way to know for sure how the deer in this case contracted CWD (or where the animal came from). They do know that it can be spread through urine, fecal matter, and saliva. That's the reason they've ordered feeding to cease in the assumed affected counties.

From what I understand, Texas has had a problem with this disease for a long time and supplemental feeding is legal there. It's one of the ways they prop up their guided hunt business. You don't actually have to hunt a deer that's on a dinner schedule. This appeals to people who have plenty of money but no desire to work for a trophy deer. It's great for business.

I'm afraid we're going to have to choose between having a healthy natural deer population or the almighty dollar.

Redlick83, 94LEVERFAN and Jarhead5811 like this.
  12. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I did some pig hunting last fall pretty much right in the middle of that circle on some private land. Guy was telling me then that a large parcel of prime hunting / timberland near by owned by a private entity was about to come to the market for lease or possible out right sale. We're talking about many thousands of acres. Reckon what finding this deer did to price of this land over night.

Now don't shoot the messenger cause he knows nothing, but a few birds over that way are chirping about some suspicious timing. Again, with the world we live in, nothing would surprise me.

93bronco, 94LEVERFAN, BasMstr and 4 others like this.
  13. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Done right I would think you could have both.

Legal or illegal hunters will feed the deer. Been that way for ever. Difference in my eyes now is they use feeders that spread the feed out over a area where in the past they just dumped it on the ground.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  14. Mesquite

A full autopsy was done : actually death was from basically Respiratory failure as result of organ failure due to CWD.
    4 1/5 yr deer.

15. JohnDeere

JohnDeere Deplorable

MS
    The MDWFP is a joke. Always has been.
    Deer are social creatures using same food sources, water crossings, trails.
    It’s certain populations are excessive in certain areas. Mother Nature will handle it if we don’t and it won’t be pretty.
    If feeding caused this what was the food? Grain couldn’t certainly be the source one would think simply because, how would it get contaminated? I suppose if it went through the same grain auger or mechanical equipment. Otherwise the processed food like pellets or similar that had ground up infected animal is the culprit.
    Animal byproducts in feed needs to stop we’re just asking for it. Fish guts for example ever wonder why cat crap stinks so bad?
    We had a anthrax outbreak one summer in mid 90s. Humans are acceptable to it also. Our delta farm smelled of death! Deer found in water dead from burning fever, bleeding from every place. Thousands died in several counties.
    Cattle had to remain in place and accounted for. It was scary.
    The high fence stuff,, I just don’t get. I get the big buck thing, but I just don’t see it as hunting. It’s like hunting cattle, no pride in it. But I certainly see the money attraction when a city slicker doesn’t have time or resources hunt. I get that. But if processed food is being fed it needs to stop, even being manufactured.
    Everyone knew this was coming I certainly don’t think feeding is the problem it’s the food itself.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:07 PM
    tWillis likes this.
  16. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

My understanding was that using animal proteins in feed for herbivores has already been outlawed.

17. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

From what I’m reading it seems that deer are eating feed off the ground and poop in the same place and other deer inadvertently consume some of the turds. I don’t see how this can be stopped. If you put the food in a trough raccoons, opossums, etc... will eat and crap in it.

I’m not confident that there will be much done that is very effective, at all. The states that have been fighting this for years seem to have been fighting a losing battle.

18. JohnDeere

JohnDeere Deplorable

MS
    If CWD occurs naturally then nothing will stop it.
    I was always told it’s from Some form of processed feed.

You won’t ever make me believe deer eat other deer crap. lol

Jarhead5811 and Blondie70 like this.
  19. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

How Chronic wasting disease is spread?
    It is not known exactly how CWD is transmitted. The infectious agent may be passed in feces, urine or saliva. Transmission is thought to be lateral (from animal to animal). Although maternal transmission (from mother to fetus) may occur, it appears to be relatively unimportant in maintaining epidemics.

Jarhead5811 likes this.