Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First one,Friendly Pawn on 49 South, and man were they friendly! Could not have been any nicer or professional. I asked for 3 things and they had none of them but then I looked at all the other guns and had a great time talking with the staff there.

I continued down 49 and stopped at another pawn shop just before I hit 90. I went in stood at the counter for about 12 minutes ( I timed it) and 3-4 guys behind the counter ignored me. They kept shooting the breeze with each other while me and another customer waited at the counter. The other guy said to me, “I will take my money to someone who wants it”, and walked out. I followed him, won’t go there again.

Next was High Caliber Pawn in Long Beach. I was immediately greeted by the staff and the young lady behind the counter brought me my 1974 Marlin 1894 44 Magnum out. It was better than he photos depicted and one guy in there was drooling and hinted he would buy it from me on the spot. I had a long conversation with the owner and his dad and we knew some of the same folks back in Smith Co. That was my second trip the HC and my only complaint is I wish they were closer to me. I like that shop!

I got the 44 home, took it outside and cycled and shot 5 rounds through it without a hitch. My new 44 dies were on the front porch as they were delivered from Midway USA Today.

Yes, I’m living the dream, I woke up this morning, I’m Healthy, I’m full, I have a great wife and family, I have a great church family, I have a new Marlin 1894 44 and Rush is on the radio:):hiya::);).

·
Curmudgeon extraordinaire
8,084 Posts
First one,Friendly Pawn on 49 South, and man were they friendly! Could not have been any nicer or professional. I asked for 3 things and they had none of them but then I looked at all the other guns and had a great time talking with the staff there.

I continued down 49 and stopped at another pawn shop just before I hit 90. I went in stood at the counter for about 12 minutes ( I timed it) and 3-4 guys behind the counter ignored me. They kept shooting the breeze with each other while me and another customer waited at the counter. The other guy said to me, “I will take my money to someone who wants it”, and walked out. I followed him, won’t go there again.

Next was High Caliber Pawn in Long Beach. I was immediately greeted by the staff and the young lady behind the counter brought me my 1974 Marlin 1894 44 Magnum out. It was better than he photos depicted and one guy in there was drooling and hinted he would buy it from me on the spot. I had a long conversation with the owner and his dad and we knew some of the same folks back in Smith Co. That was my second trip the HC and my only complaint is I wish they were closer to me. I like that shop!

I got the 44 home, took it outside and cycled and shot 5 rounds through it without a hitch. My new 44 dies were on the front porch as they were delivered from Midway USA Today.

Yes, I’m living the dream, I woke up this morning, I’m Healthy, I’m full, I have a great wife and family, I have a great church family, I have a new Marlin 1894 44 and Rush is on the radio:):hiya::);).
Well you didn't call out D-d's
so they got that.
It's OK everyone knows.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Saved me a trip. Thanks. I visit the Jackson area pawn shops. Never purchased a firearm as they seem way too proud of them. Sort of like the dealers at the gun shows. I have made good deals on two guitars.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,735 Posts
Reactions: NRA_guy

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,735 Posts
Dad’s Super Pawn. Employees aren’t the friendly, helpful type. The shop in Pascagoula is friendlier, but much smaller.
LOL you beat me to the answer and I didn't notice till now.......

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Malcolm Sorry you had a bad experience at Dads! I know Kevin an most of his staff very well. And I am not making any excuses for him. One question, Did you ask for help from any of the sales people? They are the largest gun dealer in the state and have an enormous number of tire kickers. If you ask for help you will see they will go the mile to help you. In fact, one of the Directors on our club board works there. I know they get the bad rap but next time ask someone for help.

I also know the principle at High Caliber. The Grandfather. Also know several people who have left there due to the foul language being spewed across the shop by the employees. I think there was a post on here some time back.

I guess every where has it's problems and you either work with it or not.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,735 Posts
JMO, but when I go into a store like a pawn shop I feel they should ask you do you need any help not just stand idly by and BS with each other. Regardless of the number of tire kickers they get. Comes with the territory. I usually stop by there when I can and down that way. Don't recall 1 time I was asked if I needed help or wanted to look at a gun. So I strictly go in to kick tires and see whats out there.
The one time I made it to high caliber the people was friendly, asked if I needed help and answered the few questions I had. The other one I liked was ABC pawn back around the corner from High Caliber. The guy I talked to there was really nice and friendly didn't mind showing me the 38's he had and allowed me to take pictures of them for reference later. Even lowered the price on one to try and entice me to buy, LOL.

Reactions: 228clay

·
Super Moderator
8,316 Posts
I've never had a problem at any of the Coast pawn shops.

I will say that I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 customers at a time in High Caliber. At Dad's Super Pawn, there's usually like 40 customers in there at once. The other difference is sheer size. You could fit High Caliber's entire shop in just the "Musical Instrument" section of Dad's.

I've also heard a few "F-bombs" being slung around in High Caliber by staff. If you wanna talk like that on your own time, that's your decision, but in a public business in front of customers, it's probably not a good idea.

As far as prices go, I've scored great deals at most all of them.
  • A 1911 Officer's Model from ABC Pawn in Long Beach
  • A 1911 Commander Model from Haney's Pawn in D'Iberville
  • A 1911 Gov't Model at Jerry's Shooting Irons & Pawn in Ocean Springs
  • A nice 12 ga. shotty from Jay Jay's on 49 down by the beach
  • Several from Friendly Pawn on 49 in Saucier
  • Several from High Caliber in Long Beach
  • Several from Dad's in Gulfport
By the way, @Brother_Love , when you were at Friendly Pawn, you were only about 3 miles from my house, as the crow flies.

·
Registered
796 Posts
In the past I hit the pawn shops in my area at least weekly but mostly found over priced well used off brand handguns. I no longer waste my time at the pawn shops but I do attend two or three gun and/or estate auctions every month. I recently picked up a like new 1959 Savage Model 99F in 308 at an estate auction for $312.50 out the door.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Stopped in Biloxi Pawn during lunch break today. Corner of Pass Road and Iris. Saw a very nice Marlin 30-30, JM stamp with cross-bolt safety. Bluing looked near perfect and no scratches or dings in wood. Bore looked like a mirror. Nice, clear 4x scope...can’t remember brand. They had it priced at $499 but will likely negotiate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts