Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to purchase firearm form Academy Sports and didn’t get immediate approval. I don’t know why but sales rep said there is major backup on background checks. He said it could be up to 28 days before getting approved. I know standard waiting period is 3 days and don’t understand the 28 days thing. I’ve read articles about the applications for gun purchases going thru the roof since covid19 with March & April being biggest months ever
My other question is this. If I am denied by background check does the store have to tell me?
I know there is appeal process in place but I was surprised to hear about extended waiting period of 28 days

·
Deplorables Battalion Commander
26,143 Posts
In Mississippi?
Have firearms permit?
Academy Sports here in OB ran a NICS check on me even with my MS CCW permit.

Shotgun, not a handgun purchase. I don't have a common last name either.

Just sayin'.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,400 Posts
Academy Sports here in OB ran a NICS check even with my MS CCW permit. Just sayin'
The FFL's have that choice to let you bypass or run it, they aren't required to bypass it just because you have a permit.

·
Registered
15,343 Posts
I went to purchase firearm form Academy Sports and didn’t get immediate approval. I don’t know why but sales rep said there is major backup on background checks. He said it could be up to 28 days before getting approved. I know standard waiting period is 3 days and don’t understand the 28 days thing. I’ve read articles about the applications for gun purchases going thru the roof since covid19 with March & April being biggest months ever
My other question is this. If I am denied by background check does the store have to tell me?
I know there is appeal process in place but I was surprised to hear about extended waiting period of 28 days
If NICS delays a transaction, the seller has the OPTION to proceed after a couple of (maybe 3) days. They're not likely to do that, though.
Academy requires a “proceed.” They should call you if denied, but no guaranty.

Get a firearms permit, when they restart, and don’t worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
If NICS delays a transaction, the seller has the OPTION to proceed after a couple of (maybe 3) days. They're not likely to do that, though.
If they let the customer have the gun, when the background check didn't give the "Go Ahead", (and the customer turned out to be a mass shooter) imagine the crucifixion in the press and subsequent public outrage.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
If they let the customer have the gun, when the background check didn't give the "Go Ahead", (and the customer turned out to be a mass shooter) imagine the crucifixion in the press and subsequent public outrage.
It would be quite the kerfuffle.

You'd think the Air Force not reporting disqualifying data to the FBI about people they've dishonorably discharged would cause similar outrage but...... no.

·
Registered
15,343 Posts
Exactly, it’s a liability thing. It was always fun explaining it to people used to the 3 day rule, most were understanding.

I only had the atf call once while I was working, in a panic because someone came back denied almost 30 days in and they were worried we’d already transferred the gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly, it’s a liability thing. It was always fun explaining it to people used to the 3 day rule, most were understanding.

I only had the atf call once while I was working, in a panic because someone came back denied almost 30 days in and they were worried we’d already transferred the gun.
So it sounds like you have dealt with a case of extended delay on approval

·
Deplorables Battalion Commander
26,143 Posts
The FFL's have that choice to let you bypass or run it, they aren't required to bypass it just because you have a permit.
Yes, sir, and they didn't. Last and only time I bought a firearm there too for that very reason.

That was my choice to bypass Academy Sports.

Reactions: rigrat

·
Registered
15,343 Posts
Should I wait out the 28 days to see what happens or just move on and find another store to purchase from in your opinion
If you got delayed once, it’s a good chance you’ll be delayed again, especially if you always get delayed. Delays are more common than you’d think. Not receiving an answer at all was extremely uncommon. Sometimes it took a couple days, sometimes the full 30 days, but it skewed towards a couple days in my experience. The country is breaking gun sales records again though, so I’m sure it takes a hair longer if someone is delayed.

Has this happened before? If so you either need a carry permit or a UPIN.

I guess it just depends on your need. Personally, the atf says 3 days it can be transferred , so I’d rather not wait longer, but if a store has a gun I want, for a price I’m happy with and their policy is to wait for a proceed, then I would just wait.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Our son der Oberleutnant moved to Pensacola about 3 years ago to be near the NAS. When he bought his first handgun there at the Pensacola Indoor Range he paid and they told him to come pick it up in 3 days. He literally said Whiskey Tango Foxtrot I just gave you x$100 and I can't take my pistol home with me?
Ha ha welcome to Florida, Junge.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Academy is Hattiesburg accepted my permit a couple of weeks ago, no nics call in. I've never had a call in since I got a permit. I used to get delayed regularly before permit. Some guy with the same name as me near my home town is a felon, I'm guessing that is the cause?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Cowarts delayed me last time. I didn’t speak up at the time. When I went back in I asked why he didn’t ask for my permit to skip the wait and he said he forgot.

/facepalm

Reactions: rigrat

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Academy is Hattiesburg accepted my permit a couple of weeks ago, no nics call in. I've never had a call in since I got a permit. I used to get delayed regularly before permit. Some guy with the same name as me near my home town is a felon, I'm guessing that is the cause?
I've had a permit since the law first passed. Only time I've been called in was at the Great Wall of China Mart. Then they walked me out with a manager carrying the Beretta CX4 carbine. I told him "you saw my permit, and yes I'm carrying 2 loaded handguns." He just smiled and said yeah, yeah, but we're all on camera and I want to keep my job.
OK, no harm no foul. He handed me the carbine as soon as we cleared the door.

·
Registered
15,343 Posts
Cowarts delayed me last time. I didn’t speak up at the time. When I went back in I asked why he didn’t ask for my permit to skip the wait and he said he forgot.

/facepalm
Why didn’t you just give it to him with your license?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts