Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
Typically , Galliano to hwy90, 90-310, 310-10, 10-610, 610-10 again, 10-59. But if need be any route I can find open.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
From my window in the computer room I watch a neighbor come out with a broom to sweep the snow from his truck. He grabs the handle and the door does nothing. Back inside for a jug of water to pour over the door. Cranks the truck and sweeps more snow away. Back into the house for about 15 minutes. Comes back with a can of de-icer. Gets in the truck and leaves. Less than 10 minutes he's back. I open the front door and look his way. He sees me and yells, the highway is a parking lot.
Good thing I have no plans to get out.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Well I got called out last night at nearly midnight. Fired up my old warhorse, '97 Land Cruiser, went in slow, there was snow and a little ice on the roads, but the old girl is sure-footed, took about 25 min instead of normal 15 but I got there. The only place I did any sliding was right going in to the hospital parking lot. After case was over decided to just take a room, slept a few hours.

Got up at 6 am, obstetrician says are you going home? I says yes I am. He's stranded, lives in Columbus, probably still at the hospital, poor guy, he said his relief from Oxford probably wouldn't get there anyway.

Roads and sidewalks were a LOT worse, this am, couldn't hardly walk on sidewalk, real deal ice on the roads, but I've seen worse. Just a few cars on the road, single file on roads. I crept along 10-15 mph, did fine. A car ran up behind me and swung around to pass, I says what a foolish jerk, he gets alongside and it's Tupelo PD, no lights but looks like he has somewhere to be.

Was a little nervous turning down my county road, hills, twist and turn, no shoulder, some good drop-offs, but the old girl got me home safe.

Came down pretty good all morning, no way I'm going nowhere now.

Won't have to go out in it tomorrow. Fire in the fireplace, dogs all in, hot pot of chili for dinner, we are all snuggled in. Current temp outside. 20*

Be safe everybody.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,491 Posts
The lights were flickering all morning. We finally lost power at about noon. If you go outside every few minutes you hear a crack and a limb fall. It reminds me of the ‘89 ice storm.

I have three generators, but I’m only using one. It’s enough to run a couple of space heaters, the refrigerator, wifi, an induction cooktop, and charge electronics.

We also have a couple of propane buddy heaters but haven’t used them, yet. I figured I’d save them for nighttime and run them after we shut the generator down for the night.

·
Registered
690 Posts
We've got close to 8" snow accumulation, level with the bottom of the cars. Went out and played in it but the kids got cold quick, the snow is so cold it's a dry snow not as easy to make snowballs as the warmer snows we usually get. Luckily power has been on the whole time. I've been enjoying the cold so far. Hope everyone out in it stays safe.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In the Vicksburg area our accumulation is hard. In the Eagle Lake community our electric power association linemen have been tending to us around the clock to balance out the extreme power load to keep our lights on. These men are the real heroes. We need never to forget how hard or the extreme conditions they work so long of a duration for all of us. It would be so easy for them to say we just can't do any more.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
This stuff we have accumulated is about 4 -6", but I don't know if I would call it snow, more like tiny crystals of ice, it won't compress into a snowball. Just kind of crumbles away if you try it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The lights were flickering all morning. We finally lost power at about noon. If you go outside every few minutes you hear a crack and a limb fall. It reminds me of the ‘89 ice storm.

I have three generators, but I’m only using one. It’s enough to run a couple of space heaters, the refrigerator, wifi, an induction cooktop, and charge electronics.

We also have a couple of propane buddy heaters but haven’t used them, yet. I figured I’d save them for nighttime and run them after we shut the generator down for the night.
What part of the state are you in?

·
Registered
855 Posts
We've got close to 8" snow accumulation, level with the bottom of the cars. Went out and played in it but the kids got cold quick, the snow is so cold it's a dry snow not as easy to make snowballs as the warmer snows we usually get. Luckily power has been on the whole time. I've been enjoying the cold so far. Hope everyone out in it stays safe.
Wasn't much snow here. Mostly sleet, but it's all covering a inch or so of ice...

·
Infidel
4,238 Posts
This stuff we have accumulated is about 4 -6", but I don't know if I would call it snow, more like tiny crystals of ice, it won't compress into a snowball. Just kind of crumbles away if you try it.
That’s what we have, and it’s fast sitting on a garbage can lid being pulled with a Honda.
Did I say it’s fast!! We’ve had a blast today!!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yes we have round two moving in tonight thur Thursday on top of what we have now, I have about 4” plus of sleet, ice, and snow on top of it, as I type this at 9:00 the temperature is up to 9 degrees and the chill factor is -3 but the sun is shining makes it look warmer until you go outside, the roads are all iced over, just waiting on round two.

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
Yes we have round two moving in tonight thur Thursday on top of what we have now, I have about 4” plus of sleet, ice, and snow on top of it, as I type this at 9:00 the temperature is up to 9 degrees and the chill factor is -3 but the sun is shining makes it look warmer until you go outside, the roads are all iced over, just waiting on round two.
Currently snowing @ My sons, East of Monroe,La

21 - 40 of 78 Posts