Mississippi Gun Owners banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
What Stew said plus.......

The design is good. The building is where problems happen.......

The design is NOT always GOOD. Its not always the building of it its sometimes more often than not the design.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
The engineers that I have know seem to have trouble understanding that sometimes 💩 doesn’t go according to plan. When you ask them what to do when their precious process doesn’t work, and examples when it wouldn’t , they look at you like you are the asshole for injecting reality into their fantasy.
I have a friend who worked for MFJ in Starkville while he was going to school for an EE degree. MFJ makes stuff like HAM radios. He said he got so frustrated trying to convince engineers that what they had designed wasn't possible with the parts they had that he eventually changed his major because he didn't want to wind up like them.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Still snowing in DeSoto County, but harder now. 😟

Power is still holding. 👍

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Turable shot do you have gas? If so you may need to blow out ur pilot light. Do so by disconnecting th pilot line at the regulator and blowing it out from where said line connects to regulator the same way the pilot gas normally flows. Make sure to cut the gas off at appliance

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Turable shot do you have gas? If so you may need to blow out ur pilot light. Do so by disconnecting th pilot line at the regulator and blowing it out from where said line connects to regulator the same way the pilot gas normally flows. Make sure to cut the gas off at appliance
Yes, I have gas. (for now). May take steps to try that. Not sure my compressor will start up in this cold,
Did not do so well last time when I need to air up a tire, a few weeks ago.
The gas logs are old, should have bought some new this Summer. (will now).
Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Got up early this AM. Dismantled, vacuumed and blew out (shop vac) these logs as best that I could.

Looks like they are working, they have gone thru 6/7 cycles since doing so.
These logs have saved my bacon several times.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I did very little service work on gas logs since there were 4 big fireplace dealers in Memphis. I did ask questions since I worked on commercial cooking equipment.
Got gas logs in a fireplace? You want them to look good all year long. It's best to cover them with a plastic trash bag. When you're ready to fire up the logs lay a wet towel across the bag and fold it up to remove.
The cold gas at the orifice makes moisture which is like a glue and collects dust.
Seems like every piece of equipment I worked on had a different problem. They all involved cleaning the burner assembly. My small box of cleaning tools grew bigger.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Snow stopped falling about bedtime last night. It was light outside so I added a quilt to the bedroom window. Seems like it made the room warmer too.
Tuesday when I finished the little bit of shoveling I did I left the shovel leaning on the grill. Can barely make out the blade part of it now. The 14" bowl that I left on top of the grill was almost full of snow from Monday. Looks like a white bowl the same size upside down on top of it now.
The weather map still shows snow and sleet to the south and east of me.
25 feels like 16 N 8 mph wind.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
My wife just ordered a pair of portable kerosene space heaters.👍

I'll be off to TSC tomorrow or Sunday to buy kerosene.

We have a NG furnace (w/electric blower), a NG fireplace (electric wall switch start), some small portable electric heaters, and now these.

A small portable generator will be one of my next prepping purchases, maybe a dual fuel model. I have an LP grill too, so there's that consideration. Maybe gas/LP?

Knock on wood ... Our electric company has been super-reliable for 11+ years ...

Reactions: rigrat

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
During the ice storm of '94 I went searching for kerosene. Mom lived in the country and wanted 20+ gallons for her heaters. Only place that had some was the Dodge store on Hwy 51 in Whitehaven. Had to have an approved refillable kerosene container, I had 1. I would stop on the way home from work for 5 gallons. Pour it into a gas can and stop the next day for another.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,310 Posts
Before the cold I spent a evening making a mount for an Auxiliary fuel tank on the generator trailer and plumbed it in.
Filled both tanks up and test run it for a little while and parked it beside the shop.
Thankfully we never lost power. But now it's ready just incase.
Usually when the wind blows or a small storm comes thru we loose power.

·
Registered
13,060 Posts
Before the cold I spent a evening making a mount for an Auxiliary fuel tank on the generator trailer and plumbed it in.
Filled both tanks up and test run it for a little while and parked it beside the shop.
Thankfully we never lost power. But now it's ready just incase.
Usually when the wind blows or a small storm comes thru we loose power.

View attachment 258776
I need to do a setup like that one day.
For now my generator is built in and plumbed into the rv chassis diesel tank.
Luckily it fired right up after a few cycles of glow plugs and heater when I tested it. It hadn’t been cranked in 6 months.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts