Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Honor Defense Honor Guard 9 needs even less force than the 320 did to fire on a drop.

Another test:

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
serious question: how does a glock do in this type test?

are both the sig and hg striker fired? doesn't the trigger HAVE to be pulled to both finish (cocking) drawing striker to the rear, and then release it?

someone told me that a glock is about 3/4 "cocked" by racking the slide. so the striker has to be drawn back 1/4 of the way, then released. none of that can happen from just falling to the ground. usually the ND's I've heard about with a glock involve a finger on the trigger, or maybe a soft holster.

I know you can drop a g26 from about 3.5' and it land on it's side on concrete :( at least it didn't go off!

·
Registered
15,432 Posts

are both the sig and hg striker fired? doesn't the trigger HAVE to be pulled to both finish (cocking) drawing striker to the rear, and then release it?

someone told me that a glock is about 3/4 "cocked" by racking the slide. so the striker has to be drawn back 1/4 of the way, then released. none of that can happen from just falling to the ground. usually the ND's I've heard about with a glock involve a finger on the trigger, or maybe a soft holster.

I know you can drop a g26 from about 3.5' and it land on it's side on concrete :( at least it didn't go off
When the pistol lands on the rear of its slide, then the striker could likely continue traveling rearwards upon impact, which would fully cock the striker, and then presumably continue forward and striking the primer.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

But I could be thinking about this the wrong way. I’m no physicist.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

I know you can drop a g26 from about 3.5' and it land on it's side on concrete :( at least it didn't go off!
I've never seen a glock that wasn't drop safe, unless it was modified, some aftermarket triggers for glock are NOT drop safe, there are some exceptions. So if you modify your glock, make sure you are keeping all of the safety features. I just put an overwatch precision trigger in my 19, and they guarantee it to still be drop safe and retain all of the stock safeties. Not all triggers will state this.

·
I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.
4,437 Posts
I thought glocks had striker channel blocks? I've never owned a glock and have only shot one a couple of times but I thought that was standard on them?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I thought glocks had striker channel blocks? I've never owned a glock and have only shot one a couple of times but I thought that was standard on them?
Yes, they have a safety plunger that blocks the firing pin. Plunger has to be depressed by the trigger mechanism. I think the problem is with some aftermarket triggers, the sudden stop, if dropped, CAN cause the trigger to depress. Not sure how this is possible, but I've read about this happening with certain triggers. I'll see if I can find an article or video and post it.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,531 Posts
Be good to know what triggers, thanks.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Here's a good video on the safeties and what aftermarket triggers do to the factory safeties.

Or course, this is made by ROBAR, so they are trying to sell their trigger as well, but it shows how an aftermarket trigger can defeat the drop safety.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
reads like it's true to me. big money scrambles to shut down the controversy with "every gun is unsafe".

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad to hear the Glock is not likely to fire when dropped. Remember the old Ruger Single Six issue prior to the recall for the hammer strike when dropped.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts