close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

well

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Sum Gy Custom Firearms, Jan 6, 2018.

1. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

No doubt it will get the job done. Having shot a couple of your long-range build, I can only say that the recipient of said Rifle already has an unfair advantage. I am so glad for you.

LearCo, Soonered, Mesquite and 4 others like this.

2. HotRod61

HotRod61 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Congratulations on your first contract. Hopefully many more to follow.

Soonered, Mesquite, DEADEYE 1 and 2 others like this.
  3. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

?

4. HotRod61

HotRod61 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Art said he got his first contract to build a long range rifle. Hopefully he get many more contracts to build more long range rifles.

5. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

OK, I reread it and understand his statement now.

6. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

I have built quite a few Long range rifles for hunting this is the first purpose built competition gun that I will be building

7. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

The 140 grain Hornady SP are ideal for deer. I have trophies and deer horns to prove it. For that matter, I have won state championships with Swedish milsurp (FMJ) from the 1980s. As far as hunting goes, I've only used the FMJ for coyotes and crows, but the Swede milsurp ammunition has such a thin metal jacket that it sheds & acts like a HP or soft-point projectile upon impact. The terminal effect is devastating. I've seen the results first hand.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Mesquite and DEADEYE 1 like this.
  8. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I,ve been thinking about building a 6.5 Creedmoor for Me, My, and I to shoot Whitetail bucks in the neck at 250-300 yards and less. I had thought about a 260 Remington but I am impressed with everything I read about this caliber, the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Mesquite and Scharfschütze like this.
  9. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

No need to go for the neck; I've destroyed heart & torn out part of lungs with one 140gr 6.5 softpoint. Save the neck, it makes good stew meat. I'm thinking about ordering an international rifle (Mannlicher-style stock with a "Schnabel" - just because it looks cool) in 6.5x55. Yes I am very partial to this caliber. Very versatile.

10. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
    so I'm guess we not in the ounces on the trigger:hmm:

11. DEADEYE 1

If they do close to the same damage a 7mm-08, in a 140 grain pill does, you are right, no need to shoot in the neck. Speaking of necks, I have so much damage in my neck, I try to avoid hard kickers if I can. Why invite pain when you can shoot and enjoy it?

12. DEADEYE 1

Sorry for rambling Sum Guy, how heavy will a gun like you are building weigh? I have had a Remington 700, 30.06 locked up for about 6-7 years that I plan to build into something. Mississippi Shooters can,t ever have too many rifles.
    Maybe this is the year.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  13. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Probably 12# with optics 2# trigger

Soonered, Mesquite and wllmkttrll like this.
  14. DEADEYE 1

I would need one with a Professional Hunter/ Guide to tote the rifle and put it on the shooting sticks for me.:cool:

15. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

IF thats the case a .223 will get it done for cheaper.

16. DEADEYE 1

I have succesfully used the 223 with a 64 grain soft point. My eyes give me a little problems at times, I like a little more margin for error. Plus I don,t have a 6.5, I just would like one.After preaching the merits of the 7mm08 for over 20 years, I want to try out something new.

Mesquite likes this.
  17. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

:p

18. DEADEYE 1

I been splaining all my life .I wanna see some groups that this new rifle shoots.