close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What About The Pledge?

Discussion in 'Round Table' started by sand_man, May 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

They think everyone forgot about it?

Trump accuses Bush, Graham of breaking GOP loyalty pledge | Fox News

All 17 major GOP presidential candidates in September 2015 purportedly signed the loyalty pledge, which was issued by the Republican National Committee and also committed the signees to not running as an independent or write-in candidate, or supporting a candidate from another party.

2. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

They only wanted that for Trump!

3. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Looks like a few of them are turncoats....traitors....but I think we knew about those all along and so did most of the voters.

4. burninfilm

burninfilm Distinguished Poster

Liars lie and they are liars. As Trump said"Not honorable men"

5. Hrdnox

Hrdnox Distinguished Poster

I think all 3 of the Bushes need to be lynched. I really didn't like or respect any of them. While at it, take Romney, too, and any of the others who break the pledge. A pledge from a politician, now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.:)

6. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

The Bush family should become the Hedge

7. bar306

bar306 Distinguished Poster

Bushes = family oil rights in Iraq until stolen by Sadam = lie about WMD = war that killed and maimed many American military = restoration of Bush / Halliburton fortune = we (especially the soldiers who suffered) get nothing !

8. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

The only reason they insisted on the pledge was because they feared Trump deciding to run as an independent once they screwed him out of the nomination. I don't think any of them thought it would go the other way.

9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Y'all misunderstood what they were talking about. This is the Pledge they meant:

[​IMG]

Blondie70, CajunBP, bar306 and 3 others like this.
  10. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

My wife cleaned a spot on our hardwood floor and I, wearing socks, busted my a$$ in a big way, on account of it. So, I guess you could say I'm anti-pledge....well, on the floor, anyway.

Blondie70, rigrat, bar306 and 2 others like this.
  11. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    Trump agreed to the pledge during the debates, but then later (as recently as March) said that he wouldn't abide by it if he felt that they screwed him out of the nomination at the convention. Not sure where that leaves things, but he was the first to drop the loyalty pledge.

Why Trump’s Decision to Drop His Loyalty Pledge Is No Surprise

I do agree that the establishment hacks are a bunch of sore losers (that need to be retired to a RINO knitting circle in California) though.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. Leonidas

Leonidas Resident Mushroom (know what they say) MSGO Supporter

Legally, such a statement is moot. What he said he would do in such and such situation is absolutely irrelevant. What are you going to do, sue him for future breach of promise.....maybe.

13. maxhush

NW MS
    Just pointing out that, technically, he "broke" the pledge first. Legality doesn't really enter into it, any more than it does during a "double dog dare" (or even a "triple dog dare"), IMO. :D

I do agree that when it comes to the RINO establishment, those types of calls for (and pledges for) party loyalty only work one way (in the establishment's favor). We certainly know how the establishment views things given what happened with Cochroaches' last primary race in Mississippi.

14. Leonidas

To break the "pledge" he would have to be not supporting himself.

15. Leonidas

What you say you will or will not do counts for nothing.

What you do or don't do counts for everything.

16. maxhush

NW MS
    But he already broke/dropped the "pledge" (back in March), before the nominee was known. Past tense. Hard to fault others (though I believe he is) for not adhering to a compact you yourself have denounced and withdrawn from, much as I'm sure he wishes he could rewrite breaking/dropping his pledge now to do so. Just like it'd be hard for Hitler to withdraw to the previous borders and claim that the Nazi-Soviet Pact of 1939 was still in effect after he lost at Kursk.

“I don’t anymore,” the Republican frontrunner said during a CNN town hall forum in Milwaukee when moderator Anderson Cooper asked if he stood by the pledge. “No. We’ll see who it is.”

It's feckless to try to claim a pledge you already withdrew from applies now in binding others to support you (no matter that they are bottom sucking establishment scum that never had any intention of supporting him either way).

17. Leonidas

One cannot be in breach of an agreement, the conditions of which, do not yet exist.

You and I agree to a trade of handguns on 1 June. Neither of us can demand performance until 2 June. Regardless of what is said interim.

No one has broken the pledge. Can't until the convention.

18. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I think a circle jerk would be more apropos for them!!!

19. maxhush

NW MS
    He withdrew participation in the pledge back in March. What he does or doesn't do after that is irrelevant, he already withdrew from the compact. In your example, after we agreed to make the trade at 9PM on June 1st, if I then sent you a note at 11PM on June 1st, telling you I was not going to trade with you, I cannot then fault you for not making the trade on June 2nd, if I change my mind again, can I? That is the way I believe most folks would see it. Maybe lawyers view it differently, but for most folks, the agreement was already voided (for the other participants, as it pertains to him and only him) when he withdrew from participation in it. That's how mutually agreed pacts work. If you aren't party to it (he declared he no longer was in March), it doesn't apply to you just because being in it would now work to your advantage (and I think not having the ones that withdrew their support is no great loss, quite the opposite).

This is probably one of those things where we're going to have to agree to disagree and ask Frodo to fry up a batch of that beer batter fried possum while we move on to other subjects. :D

[​IMG]