Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading the thread about the Hi-Power match that was shot at Magnolia a couple of weekends ago and I would very much like to compete in one of the upcoming ones.

I've got plenty of vintage rifles I could shoot, but my shoulder has been giving me a bit of trouble lately and I was figuring on shooting something with less recoil, hence my question.

The closest thing I have to a stock AR is a post-ban Bushmaster standard A2 configuration, but with a 16" barrel. It has standard A2 carry handle-mounted rear sight and standard A2 front sight. No bayo lug, no M-203 cut, no flash suppressor.

Is the 16" bbl. legal for NRA Hi-Power?

Thanks.

:thinking:

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
As long as it has the iron site on it, it will be allowed in our match. Feel free to bring it and join us this Saturday. I have .223 ammo that we can sell you at a discounted rate if you'd like.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M1GarandFan said:
As long as it has the iron site on it, it will be allowed in our match. Feel free to bring it and join us this Saturday. I have .223 ammo that we can sell you at a discounted rate if you'd like.
Thanks, 'Fan.

I've got a bunch of Federal XM193. Is that OK to shoot in the match?

:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
At the magnolia match they will let you shoot any AR and use any magazines. I like the match because it encourages people to come out and shoot.

For NRA or CMP high power it must be the M16 A2 or A4 or the civillian equivelant.

It must have the same outward appearance as the M16 A2 or A4. It may have certain modifications like:

An A1 buttstock (but not an A1 pistol grip)
Hooded rear sights
Free float tube underneath the plastic handguards
Flash hider is optional
Modified trigger as long as the trigger pull weight is at least 4.5 lbs
Finer adjustment screws on the rear sight elevation and windage
Narrower front sight post

Also you must use GI type straight 20 round or curved 30 round magazines. Plastic magazines or curved 20 rounders are not authorized.

The match at magnolia is a really good time and no one is overly anal about any rules(outside of safety of course). But when you go to an XTC (across the course) match those guys will make you tow the line on the rules.

And yes XM193 is OK.

·
Waffennarr
8,881 Posts
I would just add that a 16" barrel + 55 gr ammunition do not work out well at the 600 yard stage. We regularly have to pull (new) shooters off the line at 600 because they (a) have a 16" barrel and / or (b) are shooting 55 gr and even if they hit the target, the bullets are usually keyholing. It becomes a safety issue for the people in the pits.
I know Magnolia has a 200yd range so the above is not an issue there, just wanted to point this out however so no one is disappointed if they go to a 600 yard range.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scharfschuetze said:
I would just add that a 16" barrel + 55 gr ammunition do not work out well at the 600 yard stage. We regularly have to pull (new) shooters off the line at 600 because they (a) have a 16" barrel and / or (b) are shooting 55 gr and even if they hit the target, the bullets are usually keyholing. It becomes a safety issue for the people in the pits.
I know Magnolia has a 200yd range so the above is not an issue there, just wanted to point this out however so no one is disappointed if they go to a 600 yard range.
Thanks.

I don't think I'd ever try 55 gr. at 600. I don't even think I'd try 62 gr. out of a 20" barrel at that range! :affraid:

If I ever shoot a match at that range it'll either be with one of my Garands or my FAL.

:thumbup:

·
Waffennarr
8,881 Posts
This is a REALLY late reply but I see you're in Brookhaven, why don't you come out to one of our matches at Bogue Chitto. For first-timers we will loan out one of the club Rock River Arms NM rifles, and sell Prvi Partizan ammo at a discount cost (club keeps brass-CMP rules) to fire in the club rifle. You are very close, check our schedule (SW Gun Club) elsewhere on the site or send me a PM. 600yds is'nt THAT far away with open sights...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts