close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Constitutes "Open Carry"

Discussion in 'Mississippi Gun Laws' started by Don Goodman, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Don Goodman

Don Goodman Distinguished Poster

TwangBanger, what is the cut rate?

2. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

3. doctor duck

doctor duck Distinguished Poster

The way I read the law, the $20.00 fee is for a renewal if you are over 65. A late fee of $15 up to 6 months late. Then you have to reapply. I could be wrong but that is my interpretation.

4. 95 taco

95 taco Blessed are the peacemakers

Yes, you would be correct in both cases.

Ms HB786, section 3
    (24) No license shall be required under this section for a loaded or unloaded pistol or revolver carried upon the person in a sheath, belt holster or shoulder holster or carried in a purse, handbag, satchel, other similar bag or briefcase or fully enclosed case.

Don Goodman likes this.
  5. Don Goodman

95taco, thanks!

95 taco likes this.
  6. Darth Sillious

Darth Sillious Active Member

My main question is whether or not an IWB holster is truly a "Belt Holster"?

I can see that an over eager prosecutor could make the case that it is not specifically
    What happened to the clause about committing any crime except a misdemeanor traffic offence?

7. Darth Sillious

Darth Sillious Active Member

Nevermind, I found it. That must have been an earlier version of the bill.

HB 786 (As Sent to Governor) - 2016 Regular Session

"(24) * * * A license * * * under this section is not required for a loaded or unloaded pistol or revolver to be carried upon the person in a sheath, belt holster or shoulder holster or in a purse, handbag, satchel, other similar bag or briefcase or fully enclosed case if the person is not engaged in criminal activity other than a misdemeanor traffic offense, is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol or revolver under state or federal law, and is not in a location prohibited under subsection (13) of this section."

8. Don Goodman

Ok, thanks Guys. As I read the law excerpts several have so generously provided, I feel I can now make a well informed decision. That's great! And to think I discovered this really great forum totally by accident only a few days ago. Thanks for warmly welcoming me, and providing meaningful insights to the posts!

9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

We aim to please. Well, sometimes we aim at other stuff to. ;):lol1:

Don Goodman likes this.
  10. Don Goodman

Actually, that's also the way I read it, and that's what started my quest about open carry. I any event, I've decided that for me there's no downside in going permitless.

Wife bought me a nice single strap tactical bag. Much of my life was spent carrying a briefcase, so a man-bag won't be too much of a stretch if I want to go that way.

TwangBanger likes this.
  11. Roadking

Roadking Full Poster

This is the ultimate of Both ?Conditions, including the Mexican. A police officer one told me "it all depends upon the officer that arrest you". I took that to the Bank. I don't open carry for I fear that I would be the first target of the shooter. I wont to be the last.

12. Don Goodman

Amen to that! I've gone back and forth over open/concealed. Before we moved away, I hung out with officers from the State Police, Sheriffs, Locals, etc - they all knew me, and I had a MS Concealed Permit; it never really mattered whether I carried open or not - they all knew I had at least 1 gun on me. Now back after being gone for 7-8 years, and a lot has changed; don't know any officers of the law, so I would be at the "whim" of the officer if approached. Guess I'll abide by what I was told back in Louisiana over 45 years ago by the commander of the Louisiana State Police - before Louisiana had any legal carry by civilians: "... if you feel the need to carry, then just do it, keep it covered and don't act the fool."

22lrfan likes this.
  13. ufcfan

ufcfan Distinguished Poster

Fellas I have been out of the loop for a long time. After reading this thread am I to understand that pocket carry without a holster is illegal? I have my enhanced carry permit if it matters.

14. bluedog46

bluedog46 Distinguished Poster

Great point about open carry permit, but the I do tell people that with in the pants carry with part of the gun showing you can alarm some people. I do that every now and then but try not to. It really wont matter much unless someone looks like a hood or vatto

15. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Why would you though?