2161 - 2180 of 2180 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,852 Posts
Reactions: Tar N Feathers

·
Registered
479 Posts
On a positive note: Picked up my new Ssuer 101 .300 Win Mag today, and was VERY impressed! This is my first time having my hands on one, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The first thing that got my attention before I pulled it out of the full length sock was the weight. Granted it was without the bolt, but did have the double-stack magazine installed. This would very possibly rival some of Melvin Forbes' productions. The next thing I noticed after removing the sock was the ultra-tacky, non-slip material the stock was made of. Almost like rubber. If you appreciated Browning's Duratouch synthetic stock, you'd love this one. If you hated the Duratouch, you'd hate this one, too. They are the same material, or they feel exactly the same, anyway. Personally I really liked Browning's non-slip synthetic, and their modest weight "Varmint" A-Bolt II with the tacky stock and palm swell in .243 WSSM was one of my favorite (and most accurate) rifles of all time. Needless to say, I really liked this one at first meeting. We will see how it grows on me in the field. I would think it would be next to impossible to scratch or mar the stock under and normal deer hunting exercise in Mississippi. I am going to a hidey hole in Mobile tomorrow to see if they still have any Hornady brass for a reasonable price. If not, I'll order some Norma I found for a decent price, albeit more than the Hornady. I know where to buy ammo, but I just don't believe in store-bought mass-production ammo unless I'm in a pinch and it's all I can get my hands on for a big hunt. I don't want to come across as arrogant, but since I started handloading, I know that only what I make will get the full potential from the rifle. Also have to get some Talley ringmounts. As lightweight as the rifle is, putting a 2 lb rail and set of Badger tactical ring set on top of it would defeat the advantage of the design. I will mount a lightweight 42mm Nikon tactical scope in 3 - 12X, also.

Finally, the thread here is about what zi bought TODAY. That would be a brand new, but old stock Model 11 Savage in .308 Win. I was looking for an action to finish my .22 Creedmoor build, and saw the price of actions were ever increasing. I had to have certain requirements to go with the beautiful Boyd's stock I've been holding. Actions are now going for between $350 and $450 for a plain Savage 10, 11, 12, or 16. I lost a tactical action with side port last week when I spent the money on the Sauer. I was on Gun Broker, which is where you have to be to find much of anything at any price. Most things, guns included, are selling for multiples of their actual value on there, but occasionally, if you look very hard for a week or several, you will see there are deals to be had occasionally - if you aren't locked into the uber-trendy calibers or gun models. I was considering 2 Model 11s. One newer iteration with that confounded bottom bolt release I'd have to convert in very slightly used 7mm-08 with a Nikon 3x9x40 scope mounted. I really wanted a 7-08, because I have a good amount of brass on hand. The other consideration was this brand new, but older .308 with a Bushnell 4-12x40 scope mounted. The .308 had brighter bluing and a top bolt release. The stocks were slightly different, but not enough you could call one an advantage over the other. I ran the bid on the 7-08 up to $400 a few days ago with my low-ball $399 bid. I wasn't the high man, but I knew where the high man was: $1 ahead of me, which is where I wanted him until right at auction close. I put a $400 bid on the .308 and was the high man at $385 with several days left. Yesterday, when the 7-08 was closing, I saw it rise to $515. Gun Broker started charging Mississippi sales tax on April 1st. I would have had to pay the bid price somewhere higher than $515 for a used plastic Savage with the bolt release it takes 3 hands to operate. Decent scope for the package, but I would want more power. The total with tax, shipping, and transfer fee would have been over $600. Too much for that package, though it did have a detachable magazine.

So the .308 was left. It was a day plus from ending and I was still leading at $385. Got back from picking up the Sauer before going to work with only a couple hours left expecting it to be around $450 or more by now. Nope. I was still leading at $385. I got to work and was about to go in. I knew the auction had ended unless they were still trying to steal it from each other in a final battle royale.

Now you all know or may have heard, the .308 Winchester is about as useless a cartridge as has ever been invented. There's nothing trendy or sexy about it whatsoever, and many believe it has lost its ability to kill deer. I went to a lodge in South Carolina in September of 2016 and had a guide tell us that the only caliber that they always had to track deer from was a .308 because it just couldn't put one down effectively... 🤣 🤣🤣 I had planned right then and there to come back to that camp with a .308 and make sure that guide knew what I was shooting.

So since nobody has any use for a .308, I won that brand new package gun for $385 with detachable magazine and 12x Bushnell scope. Now I'm not super excited about the scope, because it will be one of Bushnell's low end models, for sure, but it it'll hold zero, 12x is good enough. Glare and low light ability will be horrendous, but if the crosshair is thick enough to see, I can make it work on something. Yes, I have to pay $26 something for tax, they want $45 to ship from Texas, and my dealer charges me a mere $10 for transfer fee. Now it's $466 walking through my door. More like it, but still a bargain by today's standards by about a good $100. The finish matches the stock better, and I don't have to convert the bolt release. I got a new $1500 Sauer for about half price last week because nobody knows the difference in models and it wasn't trendy. With .30 Noslers, .300 Normas, and .300 PRCs, the .300 Win Mag has suddenly lost it's ability to kill deer at distance and with it, the appeal it once had to all hunters and shooters. And just plain black matte is worthless anyway... You know it isn't accurate if it isn't an urban camo molded Manners or $1500 chassis. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I told you at the beginning I wanted an action to finish my .22 Creedmoor build. I'm kind of excited about my little .308 right now. Not so much in the hollow plastic injection molded tupperware it's wearing, but transplanted in the Boyd's stock and converted to blind magazine (just because that's the way the stock is configured), bedded nicely with gray MarineTex, and hand lapped with bore lapping compound to smooth out the ridiculous tooling marks inside all the late-production Savage barrels - and possibly a Rifle Basix trigger transplant, the barreled action would be perfect in the Boyd's laminate semi-gloss stock. Using some Lapua small-primer (Palma) brass with a bullet of its liking and match primers running Norma 203B, I MIGHT have a sub-1/2" tack driver capable of taking everything from varmints to moose out to 6 or 700 yards... all because NOBODY but me wanted it for being a lowly .308. To be continued on range test day...

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Found a near mint 1955 Winchester 77 in a pawn shop last week. Went back today just to look at it and it ended up in my truck. I hate it when that happens. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
ADG 22 Creedmoor brass. It has been very illusive over the past 4 or 5 months. Also got the Talley mounts in and put a scope on the Sauer 101. Waiting for the Norma brass to show up Monday. (.300 Win Mag)

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Nothing today but picked up a 1980 Ithaca 37 Deerslayer yesterday.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Well, before I could get back to Walmart to get the 88, me and a buddy stopped by High Caliber in Long Beach. He was looking for a case for a new AR pistol, and I knew they have some good ones. Alas, one simply does not enter the High Caliber without perusing the firearms display case. Been kinda - sorta - thinking about looking around for 357 snubbie to use as a snake gun (one can fit a LOT more shot into 357 brass than 38 brass). The kinda - sorta - thinking about was over before it got started, lol.

2161 - 2180 of 2180 Posts