Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
@Ellis93, we have about 163 “bad” bullets we’re gonna bring you. Each one is in its own container, so you give a detailed analysis of each.
I’ll do my best Bas!

As I text Shrek today. You’ll have to basically “season” that new mold before you start getting perfect fill out and release. I know that some like to smoke their molds but that’s just not needed with aluminum mold.
By seasoning I am referring to the heat cycling of the mold to have the cavities build a corrosion,minuscule layer.....think like anodized aluminum,but I’m no sure what you actually call it. The “corrosion”, “buildup” will occur (I’m my own experience) in about two/three heat cycles (casting sessions). In the first two times I run mine absolutely nuclear in temperature.....where the lead stays liquid on the spruce plate for just a few seconds before healing over/cooling enough to solidify. Even then the lead within the molds cavity will be soft. Once your at that stage.....let it rest for a day. The next time you use it,you notice that things get better for you. The mold will fill out more evenly,there will be less wrinkles and there will be easier release of the projectile from the cavity.
Pace yourself,don’t get aggravated,the “purty” Boolits will come! Lol

·
MSGO Court Jester
41,553 Posts
I see some in that first photo that look like the mold wasn't hot enough. I used to sit my mold on the flat part of my furnace while the furnace was heating up.
Since I am no longer loading nor casting, I didn't cast anything today. But if I was still casting, .45-70, .350 Legend, .44 magnum and .45 Colt would be high on my list.

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see some in that first photo that look like the mold wasn't hot enough. I used to sit my mold on the flat part of my furnace while the furnace was heating up.
That’s what we did, ain’t brave enough to stick it in the lead like Lee suggests.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
They look pretty good to me great job getting started.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts