Mississippi Gun Owners banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 · (Edited)
Powdercoated a few batches this afternoon. Tried the basket method, most are going to need a second coat due to sticking to each other, so only did one batch that way. Did a few others standing them up, they all came out great.

Gonna move the operation back outside tomorrow (hopefully) and try coating using the tumbler. See out that works out using the basket method, too. The blue ones are single coat Eastwood Light Ford Blue, speckled are two coats - bottom coat is Powder by the Pound Black, top coat Eastwood.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
I'd run the fire out of them. And if the speckled are double coats I'd stop double coating. I highly doubt a spot here and there is going to cause any noticeable leading.

Reactions: BasMstr

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I'd run the fire out of them. And if the speckled are double coats I'd stop double coating. I highly doubt a spot here and there is going to cause any noticeable leading.
They only get a second coat if its a big bare spot in a vital area

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
You are getting GOOD at that casting thing.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I did these on the Lee pot that I changed the actual pot out on. This one would get "plugged up" if left alone for a minute or two, so I kept the pencil torch on the table to remedy that, lol! Its been so long, I forgot how heavy that sucker was. Hand started getting tired holding and squeezing that sucker! Found out my sprue plate has a sweet spot, too. Can't open it too far or it gets loose. These all got dropped into a five gallon bucket of water when I opened the mold.

Now I just gotta get this powder coating thing down. The silicone ice cube trays (so far) seem to be a good idea for volume. Did these yesterday, they'll need a second coat. I shook these in the mayo jar, then put them in the trays. Wore gloves, and put a little powder on the fingers every so often. I think the tray cavities may be a little small for these, hence the bald spots. I need to try to find some with a slightly bigger cavity. Definitely need bigger ones for when I get around to casting .45's.

·
Premium Member
14,806 Posts
I really like the idea of powder coating (with much less smoke than lubed bullets), but the coating processes, results and powders are all over the place. I am counting on you and Ellis to work out ALL the fine details......

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
They’re looking real good @BasMstr. Those Multi-cavity brass molds can be taxing on the hands and forearms 😂

I really like the idea of powder coating (with much less smoke than lubed bullets), but the coating processes, results and powders are all over the place. I am counting on you and Ellis to work out ALL the fine details......

Oh......I got that in the bag. However you want it done,I can do it. Lol

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Got the last implement weight cut in 3rds today.
The neighbors will like the sound of no ringing. Now if we can do something about the loud radios.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Debbie needed something from walmart, while there I search for a bathroom scale. Not in the bath section so I ask. Back of the store by paints. There were 3 dial ones on the self without boxes. Regular price $9.88, reduced to $2. I checked each of them. All said I weighted 178. I took the cleaner one.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Now I have 12 blocks of wheel weight alloy lead weighing 18 to 20 lbs. They will fit a dutch oven better than holding onto the single sheet as it melts.

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
I like it cheap. Won't be adding cost of paint to my bullets. I like the smell of burning Alox.
How much does a bottle of Alox cost and how many bullets (say .356" or so) will it coat? As far as the smell, do you enjoy the smell of Varget, lol? Never used Alox, but if it works, I'd be willing to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
How much does a bottle of Alox cost and how many bullets (say .356" or so) will it coat? As far as the smell, do you enjoy the smell of Varget, lol? Never used Alox, but if it works, I'd be willing to give it a try.
Do NOT buy any......I have more than a few bottles......you can have a few.

Reactions: BasMstr

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
4 oz bottle is $6 and up, depends where you buy it. I couldn't find the ad, 32 oz for $16.
5,200 110 gr .358 LRN per 4 oz bottle is what I've averaged.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
I use an 18 oz peanut butter plastic jar. While bullets are warm put a handful or 2 in the jar, add about a teaspoon of alox, repeat until the jar is over 3/4 to 7/8 full. Roll the jar every which a way for a few minutes. Remove lid and look at bullets. Look for an even light tan color on all. Add more alox or bullets if needed, roll more.
Place a cookie sheet or a large board in a shopping bag. Pour bullets onto bag, single layer, they can be touching. Set them to the side for a week or more so the alox can cure. I put mine on top of the upright freezer, it's warm up there and it cures faster. Then to the sizing die and into more jars. They sit and cure more until time to reload.

181 - 200 of 234 Posts