Mississippi Gun Owners banner
221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Trying out my Lyman 330 gr HP. First time to use a HP mold and breaking in a new mold. Had to call SGF for help which got me started how to use the mold. Cast about 80 bullets. They range from 337 to 338 grains. So, still got some work to do on my technique to improve consistency. Also, the HPs are not round and appear off center. Trying to figure out what the issue is. I think it may have to do with me resting the mold on the HP pin handle causing it to wobble and be off center. The issue I don't think is the pin being cool as I'm keeping it hot and when I look inside the HP, they are smooth and fully filled out w/o any wrinkles. They look good enough to shoot but the HP bothers me.

Light Table Wood Automotive tire Indoor games and sports
Wood Font Circle Symmetry Gas

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Finished running the lead out of my pot to make 589 40 cal 165 grain PB. I'm draining the pot so I can try some of the range lead I'm going to try and smelt this weekend to see if it will cast bullets. Going to powder coat these with PBTP Gold, Yellow-Green (Zombie Green) and going to try White Aluminum (Silver).

View attachment 264139
Finished running the lead out of my pot to make 589 40 cal 165 grain PB. I'm draining the pot so I can try some of the range lead I'm going to try and smelt this weekend to see if it will cast bullets. Going to powder coat these with PBTP Gold, Yellow-Green (Zombie Green) and going to try White Aluminum (Silver).

View attachment 264139
Here is what the PBTB powder coat looks like

Plant Green Sculpture Grass Terrestrial plant
Typewriter Grille Peripheral Space bar Computer keyboard
Drinkware Liquid Barware Fluid Drink

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Here are some test bullets for loading 7.62x25 to be shot in TT-33 Tokarevs and their variants that I cast several weeks ago but had not posted. So, trying to catch up with my casting learning and attempts.
Plant Green Bottle Water Plastic bottle
Bottle Drinkware Green Liquid Fluid
Product Automotive tire Household hardware Rim Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
15,089 Posts
On your new 458cal HP bullets.......

1. Varying 1.0gr is not bad at all. Remember, these are lead bullets, not high dollar match jacketed bullets.

2. DO NOT rest the mold on anything while pouring.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
On your new 458cal HP bullets.......

1. Varying 1.0gr is not bad at all. Remember, these are lead bullets, not high dollar match jacketed bullets.

2. DO NOT rest the mold on anything while pouring.

I was wondering if that was the issue. Seems like when I held it without resting on anything and minimizing turning the HP pin handle to release it seemed to improve the HP. I figured this out about when I was done. Next time I'll focus on these items more so and see if that improves the HP.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,741 Posts
Trying out my Lyman 330 gr HP. First time to use a HP mold and breaking in a new mold. Had to call SGF for help which got me started how to use the mold. Cast about 80 bullets. They range from 337 to 338 grains. So, still got some work to do on my technique to improve consistency. Also, the HPs are not round and appear off center. Trying to figure out what the issue is. I think it may have to do with me resting the mold on the HP pin handle causing it to wobble and be off center. The issue I don't think is the pin being cool as I'm keeping it hot and when I look inside the HP, they are smooth and fully filled out w/o any wrinkles. They look good enough to shoot but the HP bothers me.

View attachment 267382 View attachment 267383
That would bother the hell outa me! I think someone zigged when he should have zagged and it wasn’t you. I’ve cast plenty of HP stuff and I’ve never seen that happen with my molds. That looks like machining error.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Changed my technique in not resting the HP pin on the tables and they look better. Have a little bit of flashing to clean up around the HPs. Other than that they look better. Also SGF let me use his .459 sizing die so I was able to lube and size some. Going to powder coat some as well.
Water Drinkware Liquid Vertebrate Drinking water

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I need to cast some more with my M&P hollow point mold. And I've got about 45 pounds or so boolits I need to powder coat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gotta get more lead. Running low. I would like to try powder coating someday. I have seen some done in Ford blue. Bet that would look good in nickel brass. Or that hot red.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Gotta get more lead. Running low. I would like to try powder coating someday. I have seen some done in Ford blue. Bet that would look good in nickel brass. Or that hot red.
The general consensus seems to be that Eastwood powders coat the best. Haven't loaded any in nickel brass yet, but these are some of the first I did using Eastwood's Light Ford Blue.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Cast another 50 45-70 405 gr FN from my new Lyman mold. They actually cast 412-415 with the alloy I'm using which is WW w/ 1 to 1 1/2% Sn. I'm cheap so i try to use as little Sn as possible. But, it sure does make it easier to get good fill out when I get to about 1 1/2 to 2%. This mold seems to be working great all the bullets cast .461.

I've now got 180 cast which will be plenty to test sized at .459 and .460 with both White Label Lube blue carnuba and PBTP powder coat. Got two marlin micro groves to try them in and a rolling block.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The spillway gates at Butla are closed for inspection, maybe work in the outlet tunnel. Might be closed until Saturday or longer. Sinker might be 1/32 to 8 oz. I picked up 40 pounds in an hour, it was hot. I went to the truck, turned on the air, got a cool drink and moved to the shade. Thought about going back down for more but went home.
Headed back in a few.

221 - 240 of 247 Posts