Mississippi Gun Owners banner
241 - 247 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I got down the steps and started looking in the rocks for sinkers. The horn blew 3 times. I'm still searching along the water line, got a few. The horn blows 3 times again. In a minute I hear water rushing from the tunnel. I'm still searching. Water is at my feet so I move up some. I'm getting out of the area where large sinkers can be found. I call them mats, where a few sinkers/hooks catch the same spot and their lines mix together. Grab a hold onto a mat and pull it out. Cut the extra lines off and throw it in the bucket, sort later. It got hot fast so I headed home. Feet were sore from walking the rocks. Guess I got 20 pounds of lead today.
What to do with a mat? Easiest is to put it in a pot over a fire. There's fishing line, hooks, brass and lead in it. Or, pick through it. Cut the line for what you want to separate and trash the line. I watch for removable split shots and solid sinkers that can be reused. The hook in old jigheads will rust, can't trust them on the next fish you catch.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Years ago I cast a half bucket of egg sinkers. I cut clothes hanger wires short and never removed them while casting. I located that bucket yesterday and found the wire has rusted pretty bad. With this cool front moving through I'll cast ingots from them tonight over my fire pit. They are a mix of wheel weights and battery lugs.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I carried a load of scrap to the dealer. Mainly the fridge in the computer room. She said $34.10, I said keep the dime. Then I went to the small metal's shop and asked for lead. Got this one piece, 1/8X8" wide in a roll that's 22 lbs. Back to the lady to pay, $4.30, just make it $4.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Someone's trash pile at the street had two 5 gallon paint buckets with lids, I want the buckets. I lift one, it's heavy. Remove the lid to find it half full of wheel weights. Remove the other lid, it's half full too. Plus a home made anchor of lead. On the bathroom scales they weigh 55 and 58 lbs, the anchor is 27 lbs.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
Someone's trash pile at the street had two 5 gallon paint buckets with lids, I want the buckets. I lift one, it's heavy. Remove the lid to find it half full of wheel weights. Remove the other lid, it's half full too. Plus a home made anchor of lead. On the bathroom scales they weigh 55 and 58 lbs, the anchor is 27 lbs.
I am never that lucky.

241 - 247 of 247 Posts