Mississippi Gun Owners banner
2101 - 2109 of 2109 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Not loading but loading related. Since I had to break out the Moly Coating equipment to coat some 721 Lazzeroni Firebird bullets, figured I’d work on coating bullets for my 17 hornet CZ. I got a great deal on factory ammo but I’m down to my last 100-150. My dad is back scouting prairie dog towns in the panhandle of Oklahoma. So better start developing a load and switch over to moly. Got 300 coated earlier this week. Here are 500 20 grain Varmagedons coated today that still need to be waxed if I feel like it. Got 400 20 gr. Bergers up next.
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Material property Pattern

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not loading but loading related. Since I had to break out the Moly Coating equipment to coat some 721 Lazzeroni Firebird bullets, figured I’d work on coating bullets for my 17 hornet CZ. I got a great deal on factory ammo but I’m down to my last 100-150. My dad is back scouting prairie dog towns in the panhandle of Oklahoma. So better start developing a load and switch over to moly. Got 300 coated earlier this week. Here are 500 20 grain Varmagedons coated today that still need to be waxed if I feel like it. Got 400 2.0 gr. Bergers up next.
View attachment 308962
I thought moly coating ruins barrels?

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Not been my experience...but that's what they say on the internet so it must be true. But using a bore scope to check the lands area and no Moly build up in those guns I use it in...then again I clean my rifle appropriately for moly. So, no issues and get about 2x as many rounds before cleaning with cleaning taking about half as long due to reduced cooper fouling.

I only use it in my accuracy varmint guns. With Moly I get 30-40 rounds off between cleanings. Plus my 220 swift seems to get about an extra 500 rounds out of the barrel before accuracy declines which is in the 3,000-3,500 round range. My barrels get retired when they open up to .75 MOA or there abouts. I haven't shot out enough barrels in my 243 AI to say.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not been my experience...but that's what they say on the internet so it must be true. But using a bore scope to check the lands area and no Moly build up in those guns I use it in...then again I clean my rifle appropriately for moly. So, no issues and get about 2x as many rounds before cleaning with cleaning taking about half as long due to reduced cooper fouling.

I only use it in my accuracy varmint guns. With Moly I get 30-40 rounds off between cleanings. Plus my 220 swift seems to get about an extra 500 rounds out of the barrel before accuracy declines which is in the 3,000-3,500 round range. My barrels get retired when they open up to .75 MOA or there abouts. I haven't shot out enough barrels in my 243 AI to say.
I trust what you say. So would moly coating be worth it on say ar15,ar10?

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
I trust what you say. So would moly coating be worth it on say ar15,ar10?
I think that is where people supposedly have had trouble. They shoot hundreds of rounds without cleaning. I would only consider it in an AR if it had a match grade barrel and ok with cleaning every 50 rounds or less. Otherwise not worth the trouble. The key with moly is to not let copper fouling get started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Loaded up some 223 rem for my ar. Did 10 in Winchester virgin brass and 10 in starline 556 brass to see what kind of velocity i could get from each as i started to see pressure. I did this to decide which headstamp i wanted to use in this load. From what i could tell there was not a tremendous difference in the velocity of either at a given charge of powder. Used federal ar match primers, 77 smk, and imr8208 xbr.

2101 - 2109 of 2109 Posts